Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mtx Audio are there subs and amps anygood? i realy want 2 alpine type r's but dont know what amp i was gonna get the jbl 600.1 but found ou they dont make them anymore... :cry point me in a good direction VTECnicalAccord
i know u know sumthing thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Throw a budget out there and it'll help get some replies. As for MTX, they still make some quality amps, subs, eh, but some good amps still.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I like MTX amps as I have had about 5 of them,all have done great and taken a beating.The subs on the other hand are not all that good up untill the new models and I would not touch them untill atleast the 7500 series.

For 2 Alpine Type R's I'd recomend something to give them atleast 500rms per sub like a JBL BP1200.1 would be great,you can find them on forums and ebay for like $200 and down,I had one for a while and they are damn good amps also

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I just bought a JBL 600.1 two days ago and it pushes my Diamond CM3 12" hard. MTX amps are great amps with underrated power. I wouldnt touch any of their subs below the 7500. I had a set of 6000 and the rubber cone tore to shit plus the sub distort bad before you get to the RMS rating...and no, it wasnt a distorted amp. The lower models are notorious for rattling because of hte cone.
The Alpine R is overpriced and it doesnt sound that great. My buddy has a single 12 and when I let him borrowed my Memphis M-class sub, he realized how much the R sucked :p He played a bad beat on the Alpine R and blew the cone off :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
yldstyleviet said:
I just bought a JBL 600.1 two days ago and it pushes my Diamond CM3 12" hard. MTX amps are great amps with underrated power. I wouldnt touch any of their subs below the 7500. I had a set of 6000 and the rubber cone tore to shit plus the sub distort bad before you get to the RMS rating...and no, it wasnt a distorted amp. The lower models are notorious for rattling because of hte cone.
The Alpine R is overpriced and it doesnt sound that great. My buddy has a single 12 and when I let him borrowed my Memphis M-class sub, he realized how much the R sucked :p He played a bad beat on the Alpine R and blew the cone off :)
The Memphis M-Class sub are a higher level sub to begin with so if a Type R did do better then something would have to be wrong

Also Alpine Type R's are only overpriced if you pay retail,they go for stupid cheap on ebay,BTW the Type R's will take double their recomended power and loveit,doing nothing but getting louder and still sounding good upto near 1000rms for the 12

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Memphis M-Class sub are a higher level sub to begin with so if a Type R did do better then something would have to be wrong

Also Alpine Type R's are only overpriced if you pay retail,they go for stupid cheap on ebay,BTW the Type R's will take double their recomended power and loveit,doing nothing but getting louder and still sounding good upto near 1000rms for the 12

LMAO are u for real 1000rms damn worth the 200 for 2 i whould say...

im looking to send like 200 - 300 for a amp for the type r's thats what i want but if they can take the over powering and still be dependable then what ever makes them scream... i know there 2ohm dvc whouldnt i need a 1ohm stable amp? i know anythinga bout that stuff so my budjet is $500 tops

thanks for the help

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea or less i know 2 type r's are 200 and an amp i dont know what ever takes them to there full potential and is less then 300 works for me

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also i know there are 1221 and 1241 type r subs whats the difrence and whitch one should i get?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is that the best for the price?... how are the hifonics? they have some decent wattage for the money right? and i also need to know whow to wire them since they are dvc and at 2ohm? kinda new at this stuff

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html

The hifonics amps are ok but alot have been D.O.A. and some have been known to not do their rated power(BX1500D's have been benched at [email protected]) this is 400rms off what they said they were and for me I will not buy a product from a company that conducts themself in this manor

The MTX will do it's rated power though,I got a MTX 311D for a girl and it's rated at 310 x [email protected] and the birthsheet said it did close to [email protected],plus MTX amps are rock solid and take abuse rather gracefully

If you get the MTX amp buy the dual 2ohm subs so your final load can be 2ohm mono,this will be a good combo and it will last

·
Registered
30 Posts
98civic4door said:
I like MTX amps as I have had about 5 of them,all have done great and taken a beating.The subs on the other hand are not all that good up untill the new models and I would not touch them untill atleast the 7500 series.

For 2 Alpine Type R's I'd recomend something to give them atleast 500rms per sub like a JBL BP1200.1 would be great,you can find them on forums and ebay for like $200 and down,I had one for a while and they are damn good amps also
the bp1200.1 pushes 1200 watts RMS, it would blow those subs to pieces. You can get a new one @ebay for around $280-$300, as for the bp600.1 its 600 watts RMS. real nice, its what I have in my trunk now i bought mine for $166 @ebay.

JBL also has a new line of subs out those are pretty nice I hear.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
biggslava said:
the bp1200.1 pushes 1200 watts RMS, it would blow those subs to pieces.
Absolutely untrue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
98civic4door said:
http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html

The hifonics amps are ok but alot have been D.O.A. and some have been known to not do their rated power(BX1500D's have been benched at [email protected]) this is 400rms off what they said they were and for me I will not buy a product from a company that conducts themself in this manor

The MTX will do it's rated power though,I got a MTX 311D for a girl and it's rated at 310 x [email protected] and the birthsheet said it did close to [email protected],plus MTX amps are rock solid and take abuse rather gracefully

If you get the MTX amp buy the dual 2ohm subs so your final load can be 2ohm mono,this will be a good combo and it will last

So get the mtx audio amp and bridge it and just run it to all voice coils? or is there a certian way i have to run them? will i need the have 2 connectors for each sub in the box..? i was gona buy one for it instead of make it i think i want to go selaed also is that a good idea?... no clue how to tune boxes... also it says 800x1 at 2ohm is that rms or max? i whould hope rms right?.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry just read link... ok so i whould want to run it

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+ to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 6 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 4 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms

i want to run it this way so the 2 vc subs will have them amp at 2ohm right?..
so use the diagram and do it the exact way right..?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

ok you have 2 subs both dual 4ohm do it this way to get a single 2ohm load with a mono amp as the 801d

the MTX 801D is [email protected]

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
biggslava said:
the bp1200.1 pushes 1200 watts RMS, it would blow those subs to pieces. You can get a new one @ebay for around $280-$300, as for the bp600.1 its 600 watts RMS. real nice, its what I have in my trunk now i bought mine for $166 @ebay.

JBL also has a new line of subs out those are pretty nice I hear.
Power does not blow subs,people that dont know how to properly setup the power blow subs

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
98civic4door said:

ok you have 2 subs both dual 4ohm do it this way to get a single 2ohm load with a mono amp as the 801d

the MTX 801D is [email protected]
ok but i thought u said get the 2ohm dvc type r's what is the difrence anyways? just flexibility with amps? also waht gauge speaker wire should i use since i have to splitthe power 6 instead of 12?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
run 10 gauge speaker wire

Dual 2ohm subs cause you will get full power out of a 2ohm mono amp,if you run dual 4ohm subs it will present a 1ohm or 4ohm load.The mtx amp I recomended will not handle a 1ohm load and will only give 400rms at 4ohms

Use a 4 gauge amp wiring kit to wire your amp,you can pick one up at wal-mart for around $20

1 - 20 of 23 Posts