Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone answer this for me please cuz people are telling me a bunch of shit and I dont know if they are fool of it or not lol.

They say with big exaust on a car that is loosing to much back pressure, that you can put a silencer in that is like 1" smaller than the muffler flow and it will creat more back pressure. So by putting a silencer in that much smaller, will it help out with making a little more back pressure for more low end???

·
Registered
350 Posts
not enough back pressure will cause a loss in the low end. I dont think making a smaller whole at the end of your exhuast will make a difference.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
silencer's really just impact engine noise. However they do cause a little loss of flow at the very high end. The important thing about piping size is to keep the exhaust gas velocity up. Too small of a pipe and it gets choked. Too big of a pipe and they slow down and cool off too quickly. So you can't really fix too big of a pipe with a silencer.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I thought we straigtened out this whole back pressure thing?

Its not backpressure, its velocity and heat. The right sized exhaust will let the gases flow freely, BUT, keep the temps up in order to keep velocity high. If the pipe is too big, like kommon said, temps drop, and cooler gases are harder to push out, slowing velocity and overall hurting the exhaust flow. Too small, keeps temp up, but the diameter just isnt big enough to flow.

·
Registered
88 Posts
uuummmm

why do you have big pipes if you want low end power there is no point in having 3 inch pipes if you put a silencer in it it is like full pipe that is the size of the opening in the silencer.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Yup, any restriction in the flow of exhaust gases in the exhaust pipe will create backpressure. Backpressure will increase bottom end grunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts