Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my '96 GSR fixed at the Honda Factory Repair Center here in Orlando, FL. for a cooling system problem... overheated and blew the head gasket. I'm very good friends with the guy who manages the repair center, however he does not know much about modifying the Teg. My question is... if I have to replace the head gasket can I just replace it with the Mugen metal high-compression head gasket? http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=11&vehicle=Integra
Here's the link (above) so you know what gasket I'm talking about. Can I just replace my stock (burnt) gasket with the Mugen or do I have to do other things along with it to make it work?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
DPR001 said:
I am having my '96 GSR fixed at the Honda Factory Repair Center here in Orlando, FL. for a cooling system problem... overheated and blew the head gasket. I'm very good friends with the guy who manages the repair center, however he does not know much about modifying the Teg. My question is... if I have to replace the head gasket can I just replace it with the Mugen metal high-compression head gasket? http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=11&vehicle=Integra
Here's the link (above) so you know what gasket I'm talking about. Can I just replace my stock (burnt) gasket with the Mugen or do I have to do other things along with it to make it work?
There is nothing wrong with the stock metal headgasket, but the Mugen one should give you a few HP from the compression boost. You will have to buy the intake plenum gaket seperately, though. It comes with a Honda head gasket set.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if.... instead of buying the Mugen head gasket... I get the factory to shave the head? That will up the compression so I can just use a factory head gasket. Is that feasable? And will it give me the same effect as the Mugen gasket will? Cause I can get the head shaved for around $85 as opposed to spending over $150 for the Mugen gasket. :D What do you think?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a shaved head with ITR pistons? That should do me good, huh? Thanx for the info... I wasn't sure about the thin gasket either.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
DPR001 said:
What about a shaved head with ITR pistons? That should do me good, huh? Thanx for the info... I wasn't sure about the thin gasket either.
NO. Don't shave the head. You can achieve whatever compression you want using OEM Honda parts.

This link will be of amazing help to you. Play around with the B series compression calculator and then ask questions. Just know that if your compression is too high, knocking will occur and you will need to use 93 octane or higher, instead of 91. Plus, your pistons may hit the valves if you have high compression with wild camshafts.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
NO. Don't shave the head. You can achieve whatever compression you want using OEM Honda parts.

This link will be of amazing help to you. Play around with the B series compression calculator and then ask questions. Just know that if your compression is too high, knocking will occur and you will need to use 93 octane or higher, instead of 91. Plus, your pistons may hit the valves if you have high compression with wild camshafts.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php
Why not shave? It presents some timing complications and such..but if he doesn't want to rework the bottom end then shaving is an option.

BTW...

www.zealautowerks.com has a great calculator too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the only reason I brought it up is because... my car is under for repairs from overheating. If I warped the head then Lee, the guy I know, said that they send it out to the machine shop to get shaved to even it out. He told me that it would raise my compression... not drastically but by a few points. If they have to shave the head then all I need to do is drop ITR pistons in it and it would be fine... right? I'm just trying to make sure that it's okay so I don't have any problems with it later.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If the dealer is doing the head gasket job for you then it calls for a little shave. The factory calls for it every time the head comes off to make sure it has a clean surface to mate to. Its allowed to be shaved a totle of 3 times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay... but will it actually raise the compression like he said? or will I have to do other things to raise the compression? if so, what are the best ways to raise compression without using a thinner head gasket?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Milling/shaving the head will raise compression. But the factory service allows for a slight change. Nothing drastically noticeable so you don't have to change ignition timing on the cams.

There are lots of ways to increase compression, but the thinner headgasket is the easiest way, considering you are already in there for the job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, thanx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.