Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

281 - 300 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
You not find a smashed up Manual 850?

I was thinking then the only Auto Honda i've ever seen was a CRV with 3 on the tree.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
You not find a smashed up Manual 850?

I was thinking then the only Auto Honda i've ever seen was a CRV with 3 on the tree.
I could, but its more work and time than I'm willing to put in for a daily, for daily use the auto is just fine.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Well, got some work done today. Got everything ripped off. The old exhaust was kinda a bitch since it was pretty much one piece, so to get it out, I used a sawzall liberally. The turbo removal was also messier than I was expecting, I guess i didn't thing as much coolant would be all over the place, but whatever, haha, live and learn. After all the dis-assembly, the new turbo and DP got put in and the plugs and oil were changed. The turbo needs all its lines hooked up still and the rest of the exhaust needs to be put in, but that will all get taken care of tomorrow!

Here's some pics:

Here's a comparison of the 2 turbo's, notice how the 15g (one on the left in the 1st pic, bottom of 2nd pic) has a different compressor wheel, and a slightly smaller exhaust housing.

empty bay

old really crappy/restrictive exhaust:

so happy! lol (except for the anti-freeze that got in my eye)

New hawtness!

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Update:

Well, the car is 90% finished. Got the exhaust, and all the other odds and ends done today. Only things I need are the ECU to be shipped to me, fix a leak on one of the hard lines (not tight enough? thing is a BITCH to get at tho, I'm gonna try a slimmer profile wrench/box end and see if I have more luck.) and a few nuts I have to buy that hold the turbo on from fastenal since I lost the other 2???

Also, not really preventing it from running, but we did encounter one snag with exhaust install. I have a pic that shows it below, but the flange/clamp surfaces are right where the rear swaybar is, and the flanges are too thick to clear without rubbing on the swaybar because the new IPD bar is quite a bit thicker than the OEM piece. Once the car is running again, I'm going to drive it down to cliffs and have them cut and re-weld the flanges in a different location so that it will clear the bar.

Whenever the ecu comes in and I tighten the bolt to fix the leak, and get the missing 2 nuts, (hopefully monday/tuesday) the car should be road worthy again.

anyway, pics:

New Tip!

Mostly back together. I need to check a couple of my vac. lines just to make sure they're set right.

hmm, clearance issue I'll have to get resolved. :|

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
That tip looks fantastic, really suits the car!
The end result will blow your mind once finished.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Hooray for boost!!! Got the car running today, and got most of the issues taken care of. I had some issues with it not getting full boost, but now I have full boost, but only at the top of 2nd and 3rd gear. I need to look into how to bring it on sooner, maybe some wg tweaking, and or I might try running an mbc again too. At any rate, if you hit full boost now, its enough to send the snow tires lit up to 60mph in 3rd :ninja

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
You need anti lag so you can sit at the lights spitting flames and spooling :ninja

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
got it a little more dialed in and WOW! The mods really did make a world of difference. This thing has enough power now to roast tire all day long like it ain't no thing! And 110+mph came up VERY quickly compared to what it used to.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
I'm really curious to see what this will do in the 1/4. I'm gonna put my dyno app on my i-pod touch in the car tomorrow. See what #'s it gives me. Its usually pretty accurate, I had it in my old teg once or twice at the strip and compared the real time with the estimated 1/4 figure, and it was 1 tenth of a sec. off.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Well, I put the MBC on, and let me tell you it RIPPED! I one tire fired from a dead stop all the way up to 65mph!! Put a smile on my face about as big as the black line I left on the pavement. However, about 30mins later on a spirited fun drive, the car threw a CEL, and it now down on power again. I looked, found a few vac. lines popped off. fixed that, go to advanced to clear the codes, but the tool says my ECU has no codes, but the CEL is clearly lit on the dash??????? FFS!!!

I also bought the rear 02 so maybe thats it. Gonna put that in as soon as I get it here in a day or 2 double check my vac lines and hope that fixes it??

Tho, if the CEL is on, and the scan tool detects no codes, how do you get rid of the cel? Apperntly volvo's won't let u un do the batt. for a few, plug it back in and have the code go away as my honda's let me do. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
unhook your battery cables, then hold them together for 1 min or so

some ecu's have capacitors that will hold a charge for days, this will drain them

i remember on my newyorker the code i would get when toying around with the waste gate was "over boost"

basically if the map seen over 11psi then it would set the code and retard the ignition timing

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Huh, worth a try

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
hm, didn't seem to work. I guess I should look up what the factory uses to re-set ecu's perhaps? there has to be a way.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Volvo 850/S70/V70/C70s require an extended driving period in order to reset readiness codes from INCOMPLETE to COMPLETE. When verifying a related repair, the TRIP identified in Section KKKK of the Engine Management System Service Manual TP 2308202 M 4.4 or Section EBU of the Engine Management System Service Manual TP 2301202 M 4.3 may not allow all of the diagnostic monitors to run.Introduction 1

This on-road driving sequence will allow all of the diagnostic functions an opportunity to run. After two correct, consecutive TRIPS, the readiness codes should be set to COMPLETE, provided no diagnostic trouble codes have been stored.

General Instructions 2

No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) present in system.

Connect Volvo Systems Tester (VST). Enter the DIAGNOSTIC CHECK menu to verify if a trip has been completed refer to VST Screen Navigation for OBD II Trip and Flywheel Readiness.

M 4.4

Flywheel adaptation must be completed (status READY) TIP: Look in the Monitor Test Scroll List and find the entry "F ADAP." It will say either READY or NOT READY. If it says READY, continue. If it says NOT READY refer to setting the flywheel adaptive values to ready.

is set.M 4.3

In order to insure EVAP leakage detection completion, the fuel level in the car should be above 1/4 and below 3/4 tank.

Air conditioning (A/C) must be off during idle periods. A/C compressor activation during the Evap diagnostic may Interrupt the Evap test.

Select a suitable route where it is possible to safely stop at the side of the road. Obey all traffic regulations and posted speed limits.

Engine temperature at start must be between +29°C (84°F) +49°C (122°F). If engine temperature is below +29°C, start engine to warm up over +29°C and then shut off. Restart engine when coolant temperature is between +29°C-+49°C. TIP: The coolant temperature can be read out from the SCROLL LIST using the Volvo Systems Tester (VST).

Another confirmation that the ECU has seen the correct start criteria is to access the EFI code 112 in the DIAGNOSTIC CHECK menu. With ignition key in position 2, engine off, access the DIAGNOSTIC CHECK menu and press enter. The EFI codes will appear. Scroll down until you get to EFI 112.

Start engine, go directly from position 2 to position 3 do not cycle key. The EFI 112 status should then change from NOT TESTED to TESTED. This indicates that the ECU has seen the correct start criteria.

Trip Instructions 3

Start Engine

Accelerate gently to 1500 - 2000 rpm, manual gear box equipped, gear selection dependent on highway
Drive for 6 minutes at 1500 - 2000 rpm
Safely stop the car and idle engine for 70 seconds
[Fuel Trim adaptive functions are checked by the above steps.)

Accelerate gently to 1600 - 2000 rpm
Drive for 6 minutes at 1600 - 2000 rpm, manual gear box equipped, gear selection dependent on highway
Stop the car and idle engine for 70 seconds
[Secondary Air diagnosis should be carried out at this time (if equipped).]

Accelerate gently to at least 45 mph, drive for 5 minutes at 1800 - 2200 rpm, manual gear box equipped, gear selection dependent on highway
Top the car and idle engine for 60 seconds
[EVAP Leakage diagnosis should be carried out at this time]

Accelerate gently to at least 45 mph, drive for 4 minutes at 1800 - 2200 rpm, manual gear box equipped, gear selection dependent on highway
Stop the car and idle engine for 60 seconds
Accelerate gently to 1800 - 2200 mm
NOTE :
Repeat this last step 3-4 times. To set the cycle flag for idle air adaptation diagnosis the engine needs to come to idle 7 times. Under normal driving conditions you come idle 7 times very easily, but during the forced "TRIP" there are just 3 idle phases

STOP, DO NOT SHUT OFF ENGINE, trip completed move gear selector to neutral apply parking brake
Check that all diagnostic functions are completed, using Volvo Systems Tester (see below)
The diagnostic check will now say, "TRIP COMPLETED".
M 4.4 systems will also display either READINESS = YES or NO based on completion of 2 "TRIPS". M 4.3 systems will not display the READINESS code, but 2 complete "TRIPS" will set the READINESS code.
If all diagnostic functions are NOT completed there are ways to rerun portions of the trip, see the descriptions following.
STOP, DO NOT SHUT OFF ENGINE, trip completed move gear selector to neutral apply parking brake
Check that all diagnostic functions are completed, using Volvo Systems Tester (see below)
The diagnostic check will now say, "TRIP COMPLETED".
M 4.4 systems will also display either READINESS YES or NO based on completion of 2 "TRIPS". M 4.3 systems will not display the READINESS code, but 2 complete "TRIPS will set the READINESS code.
If all diagnostic functions are NOT completed there are ways to rerun portions of the trip, see the descriptions following.
Using the Volvo Systems tester, VST, you can determine if all diagnostic functions were completed. If any one or more were not tested you can rerun only that portion of the TRIP. To determine which diagnostic functions have not been completed, using the VST enter the DIAGNOSTIC CHECK menu. At the TRIP/READINESS window press enter. Here the EFI codes representing individual diagnostic functions will be displayed. Note the ones that are NOT TESTED. Below are the specifics on how you can address individual codes:

NOTE:
The VST does not continuously provide "online" updates. If you want to check the status of readiness before, during or after a drive cycle you must always exit the VST Diagnostic Test and re-enter.

EFI 233, Adaptive Idle Air trim. After completing the trip and seeing that this function is not set, idle the Engine for 60 seconds, press the accelerator and rev up the Engine above 1500 rpm for a few seconds, return to Idle for 60 seconds. Continue this until EFI 233 is completed.

EFI 425/436, Rear oxygen sensor, Accelerate to at least 45 mph, drive for 5 minutes at 1800 - 2200 rpm.

EFI 435, Front heated oxygen sensor, slow response. Drive the car with an Engine speed between approximately 2200 to 2800 rpm and a load between 1,1 to 1,8 ms (LOAD - TL).

Automatic gearbox equipped, use low gear it necessary.

drive for 2 minutes at 1800 - 2200 rpm, manual gear box equipped gear selection dependent on highway
accelerate directly to 3000-3500 rpm for 30 seconds, manual gear box equipped in third gear
reduce rpm to 1800 - 2200 for 2 minutes, manual gear box equipped in fifth gear
accelerate directly to 3000 - 3500 rpm for 30 seconds, manual gear box equipped in third gear
reduce rpm to 2300 - 2500 for 2 minutes, manual gear box equipped in forth gear
EFI 611/612, Fuel tank system. Run the quick test in VST for Leakage detection monitoring. (ACTIVATION->ACTIVATE DIAG->LEAKAGE DIAGNOSIS

EFI 442+445448,Pulsed Secondary Air Injection system, Run the Quick test in VST for the Pulsed Secondary Air system monitoring (ACTIVATION->ACTIVATE DIAG->SAS DIAGNOSIS)

Again: Please note that although the readiness codes may present as INCOMPLETE, this condition will not inhibit the OBD II system from monitoring, detecting, and subsequently storing a corresponding DTC in system memory.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
some worth wile stuff in there to try. thanks dude!

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
281 - 300 of 332 Posts