Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

301 - 320 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
I figured it out. Hah, for starters, my mbc wasn't letting the car boost past 12psi? idk why? So I went back to the BCS, which works, and is consistent, but it slowly walks the boost up to 15lbs instead of giving me a nice low end punch. I'll likely buy a nice EBC come spring. No need right now as heavy boost lower down will just spin tires with winter driving, so no point.

Also, the code was because somehow the wg actuater arm slipped off the wg! haha, so it was just dumping boost out the wg.

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
Also, the code was because somehow the wg actuater arm slipped off the wg! haha, so it was just dumping boost out the wg.
Happens to me sometimes, though I don't get a code for it. I need to drill out the point on the wg that the arm slips onto so I can put the new cotter pin on... :ninja

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
I am currently rocking a paper clip I had in my pocket. ghetto fab I know

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
I am currently rocking a paper clip I had in my pocket. ghetto fab I know
not uncommon, I need to drill mine out otherwise I would have never wasted money on the cotter pin, would have just paper clipped it.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Well, instead of wait for spring, I decided to buy the damn boost control module I needed. I ended up going with a GM unit actually.

Its an AC Delco EBCS module from a GMC Cyclone/Turbo firebird that manages the boost a lot better than the stock crummy Volvo one, which even on the stock setup held the car back a -bit, but now, to get the most outta my mods, I'm gonna upgrade.

Only downside is I have to splice this thing into the harness, as the plugs don't match, obviously, but it shouldn't be anything a wiring diagram, soldering iron and electrical tape can't fix :ninja

Gonna hook it up tomorrow, since its pissing rain, and get around to putting that rear 02 in. Then I should be good to go, I'll give a "spririted driving" report here later this weekend when I take it for a spin again to get everything dialed in just how I want.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Ha, I also kinda got some inspiration from something I saw the other day, as a possible option in the future on my car that would be fun to try. Seeing as I have a busted up 850R bumper, I found a good way to put it too good use. If I buy a busted up v70 bumper, I can make this thing, an 850/870 hybrid bumper. The guy used the top part of the 850 bumper and the bottom part of the 870 for a more interesting effect. He put the stuff together with fiberglass, and says it isn't hard to do. This was his first time doing this and I think it turned out pretty good.
No paint, and needs some more sanding, but I like the look. Might be something I wanna try at any rate.

compared to stock:

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
it would look that good again if only I could just quit being a swamp donkey and paint the damn thing.

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
that bumper is an interesting idea man. I say if you want it, go for it.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
its def. unique.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Well instead of splicing the delco solenoid into the harness, I thought it would be better to not splice is and let it plug in. So...

Started with these items:

I first removed the connector from the rear of the factory BCS and its pins. Then I soldered the wires to the pins and presto, plug in GM solinoid!

I went and plugged it into the car, and what a difference! I didn't really get to applicate the pull of it because its so wet right now, all I do is spin tires. The car now runs as it should, and I must say, ITS AWESOME! well worth the time and money, imo.

All thats needed now is paint on that front bumper and a muffler.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
well as an update:

The car was doing fine, until I developed a rather nasty oil leak. Turns out the PCV plugged, and seems to be forcing oil out the oil return line from the turbo. Taking it in monday to get it fixed by my mechanic. I'd do it myself, but its 10 deg. out and there is snow everywhere, and I haz no garage. I hope its just the PCV and seals, but we'll see, its tough to tell without a proper lift.

I also got new trunk struts for x-mas from my parents!! YAY! No more heavy as hell trunk lid and slamming closed suddenly! I'll probably be putting those on this weekend, weather permitting.

I also got some R themed Volvo dork-ware from my parents too. I got a Volvospeed T shirt, and IPD t-shirt, and an R emblem baseball cap. :lol:

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
UPDATE:

Well, for thoes who don't know, I received some rather crappy news about the car.

The PCV ended up being fine, and clog free. So the excess crank case pressure had to come from somewhere else, that means blow by :(

Did a comp check, found 4 out of 5 were just were they should be, but fucking cyl. #2 had about 80psi, and the rest of the cyls were at 170, :mad

So this left me with a few options:

1.) dump it and get something else
2.) re-build it/swap it
3.) run it into the ground

I decided, because I just love the car, to swap it with a healthy whiteblock, add a few more toys to the engine for some powa, and swap in a 5spd.

To do this, I will obviously need a decent bit of $$, so this project won't even begin to start until I graduate this spring, and my bike is done. At that point, I will probably try and buy a motor bike, or a cheap car to get around in while the R is down for the count for what will likely be a few months the way I work, and for the amount of time its going to take to get some parts, ect.

Here's the changes I'm planning on making to the car:

1.) M60 5 spd. transmission
2.) Quaife LSD
3.) N/A 850 Intake mani
4.) Volvo 960 TB assembly
5.) S60 R exhaust mani
6.) 18t Turbocharger

All this, while expensive, should make the car 910293029X more fun to drive, as it will have a real gearbox, then my only complaint about the car will still have to be that its FWD, but hey, its still a daily, and I need drive-ability in the winter.

It will be nice to have a new-er motor and trans in the car too, I'm looking around 30-50k on a used motor and trans for milage, which I should be able to come by, I hope, otherwise, I'll re-build my motor.

As much as it kinda sucks, I'm just going to look at this in a positive way and view it as an opportunity. Its not like the car will not drive on me, or not get me around, it just isn't as fast.

But when the car does come back, it should again, be noticably quicker with the mods, and hopefully propel the 2 ton box on wheels into the low 13's high 12's in the 1/4.

Kinda excited now, just have to wait till spring. I've started some preliminary research on the process an will continue to do so until summer when I rent a garage and start this project.

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
sounds like a great upgrade for the swedish tank.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
I was just reminiscing on how much I miss rowing through gears before, now I have a chance to make it a reality. Like I can't even imagine, everything I've driven with a 5spd. has been sub 200whp. So with 300 whp (thats my goal, should be quite easy to attain) on tap and as much torque, I feel like a 5spd will be a damn good time!

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
yeah, 5spds with >200whp are fun. I recently found two cracks the size of the San Andreas in my exhaust manifold so I don't even hit my 15psi til damn close to redline. Also it's driving my o2 sensor completely insane (idle is psychotic now).

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
be happy thats whats broken. lol. I dont wanna do a re-build, but I guess running 18psi on a 15 year old engine with 170k on it was bound to do something bad, lol

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
be happy thats whats broken. lol. I dont wanna do a re-build, but I guess running 18psi on a 15 year old engine with 170k on it was bound to do something bad, lol
I'm quite happy that it's the only thing broken now. Mine is 19 years old and seen 12psi for the last 18 1/2 years w/145k on it. I'll probably have to rebuild sometime soon, hopefully before I fuck the block up.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
another update: need to zip tie up the front bumper. Me playing JDM drift hero cracked the front bumper when it made contact with a snow bank, lol

301 - 320 of 332 Posts