Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on my trip to mexico something fucked up my zoom lens (it wouldn't retract so whenever the camera is turned on it attempts to retract the lens and freezes). The repair shop quoted me 170 $cdn to repair the camera which is just way too much to fix that camera.

so now im looking at getting a new digital camera. I used my a70 for mostly basic photos but only recently began to really play around and experiment with it. I want something along the same lines as the a70 (entry level), something good for a beginner but could still be used to take wicked pics. Also, im looking for at least 4.0megapixels

so far im seriously considering the A85 since i was very impressed with canon, and i also do not want to buy new memory. The A80 also appealed to me, but i don't know if i really need a flip screen.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for me or comments on the A85 or A80?

My camera broke at the worst possible time too... i've missed so many awesome snowfall pics and foggy-night shots :(

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
www.dpreview.com ... you can see what the pros and buyers of each camera think... you can compare features as well... the only cameras that won't allow you to use the same memory would be the sony cameras, save the f828. but check out dpreview.com!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uncle_el said:
www.dpreview.com ... you can see what the pros and buyers of each camera think... you can compare features as well... the only cameras that won't allow you to use the same memory would be the sony cameras, save the f828. but check out dpreview.com!

been to that site, very good site, they have a very detailed review of the A70 but there isn't one (except user reviews) for the A85, thank's anyways though :tu

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
if you can wait a lil bit, theres a huge camera show coming up (PMA) and thats when most companies will display new camera models. so there should be some nice deals on older models when the new models are being introduce. the show is from feb 20-23rd.

also, canon just released a new entry-level digi, replacing the A75, powershot A510. only $199. sounds like a good entry-level cam. only 3mp though but not too bad. its also much smaller than the previous powershot A cameras. since it only uses 2 AA batteries instead of 4. only thing is, it uses SD cards instead of CF.

but yea, if u wanna step it up a notch, like aznkid suggested, get the a80/a95. i have the a80 and its a great cam :D

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
uncle_el said:

the sony v3 is also another one that allows cf also..not just the 828 :D

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i considered the A80 but i cant find one anywhere.... possibly discontinued? (that's what futureshop/best buy employee told me but we all know how smart they are)

i know the new camera models are coming out soon, but i cant afford a brand new one, and also the store im planning on buying the a85 from has a 60 day price watch guarantee.... so if prices were to drop (not likely a whole lot since they just dropped 50 dollars of the a85 since xmas) i could still get the extra money back.

i think i said before that i already have cf cards and nimh AA batteries, and i dont really have money to buy new cards for a different camera, so a cf camera is preferred :eek:

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AzNKiD said:
don't buy the a85.. it's only a slight improvement from the a70.. the a80 is discontinued.. it was replaced with the a95
im only looking for a replacement for my A70, if it's a slight improvement that's fine, if my A70 didn't break i would've kept it for probably a couple years, i dont have the income to buy an up to date digital camera every year

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
a510 would be a good option cept that it only uses SD cards. but you can find 1g sd cards for under 50bux. so im sure 512mb ones can be had for even cheaper. plus it only uses 2 AA instead of 4. just a suggestion :)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ekkkk said:
a510 would be a good option cept that it only uses SD cards. but you can find 1g sd cards for under 50bux. so im sure 512mb ones can be had for even cheaper. plus it only uses 2 AA instead of 4. just a suggestion :)
yea i appreciate your suggestion but a a510 is 3.0 megapixel right? that'd be taking a step back from my A70

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
canadian1986 said:
yea i appreciate your suggestion but a a510 is 3.0 megapixel right? that'd be taking a step back from my A70

not really, it has all the same features plus 4x opt unlike the a70 which was 3x opt and that it uses sd

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GldCrzy said:
not really, it has all the same features plus 4x opt unlike the a70 which was 3x opt and that it uses sd

oh, well it sounds like a very nice camera, however i bought an A85 this week and i absolutely love it so far. thanks anyways for your input :tu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts