Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup guys...i have a del sol vtec (b16a) with a drag III kit..when im at around 4500 the a/f gauge goes from rich down to lean, and the car starts to hesitate..it wont pull past 4 or 5 psi, the vortech FMU isnot bacwards, the fuel pump is in right..i dont have a fpr, you dont think that the FPR will do anything right..how could i be leaning out with the FMU??This wouldnt have anything to do with my distributor rite?thanks in advance.

· Registered
32 Posts
its possible that the fmu you got may have been defective. The guy that sold me my drag kit asked me if mine worked, because they made a bad batch somewhere along the line and some people had problems with them. Sounds to me like its starting to spool up and the fmu isn't raising to fuel to match the increase in power and your leaning out. Its worth checking out. Hope i helped.:cool:

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slow ars..i thought that a while ago when my car first started fucking up- so i changed with my friends, but that didnt help..then i got a new distributor (remanned) so that may be fucking up. I dont know im gonna change fmus again. Ive got missing link coming in the mail.

· Registered
169 Posts
Yeah man, I had that same problem and it turned out the fmu was backwards, I followed the instructions that came with it but it turned out wrong. Just switch the lines around and see if your problem stops, hey it can't hurt.

· Registered
224 Posts
Hey look, I searched the forum!!!

I'm having a similar problem with my '96 GS-R, but I don't think it's going lean. The torque drops off very suddenly at 4500 rpm's, so I'm very hesitant to take it any higher than that. Seriously, I haven't gone above 5 grand since I installed the turbo almost 2 months ago....

Someone told me that possibly the v-tec has two engagement points; 4500 rpm for the exhaust lobe, and 5800 rpm for the intake lobe. Can anyone confirm this? If so, does the Apexi V-AFC have controls for both the intake and exhaust engagement points?

Also, somebody mentioned the FPR being hooked up backwards.......Mine makes a really strange whistling sound when I let off the gas, so I'm wondering if that's not another symptom of it being backwards also.........Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick

· Registered
224 Posts
fuel management unit, fuel pressure riser, fuel pressure regulator, feed pink reptiles..............The thing has a zillion names.

My "fuel thingy" raises the pressure of fuel at an adjustable multiple of the positive manifold pressure. Does this describe the unit you were talking about?

Thanks,
Nick

· Registered
224 Posts
Yeah, I guess I didn't know that there was ever a distinction. I've just heard of FPR's being of two types: rising rate or 1:1. I thought an FMU was a stand-alone unit, like an Apexi AFC, or a similar electronic controller.

Nick

· Registered
169 Posts
BoOsTeD_eK said:
I always thought an fmu was an fpr that just raised pressure more for every pound of boost. Typical fmus are 12:1, while an fpr is an fmu that has a ratio 1:1
They are similar, but try to understand this: when I tell him to check his fmu to see if it's backwards, I want him to check his fmu, not his fpr (which may be the stock unit or an aftermarket one) Now if someone comes in and says "yeah man, your fpr may be backwards" (trying to agree with me, but saying fpr instead of fmu) and I was talking about his boost dependent fmu, I don't want him to go to the fpr and switch things around and end up fucking something up, then coming to me saying that I told him to do it. Understand?

· Registered
224 Posts
Yeah CleanSi, I understand, as I've understood that the whole time..........Maybe now you understand that there is general mass confusion, misunderstanding, and chaos over the naming of fueling devices......Maybe you could "try to understand" how to not sound like such an asshole when you type....

The original question was answered over 2 months ago, anyhow, and I have a new question that applies to a similar problem. "Understand"?!

Does anyone have any suggestions that don't imply that I have the reading and writing skills of a 2 year old? I placed out of 6 hours of college English the last time I checked! ;o)

Thanks,
Nick

· Registered
169 Posts
Nikolai said:
Yeah CleanSi, I understand, as I've understood that the whole time..........Maybe now you understand that there is general mass confusion, misunderstanding, and chaos over the naming of fueling devices......Maybe you could "try to understand" how to not sound like such an asshole when you type....

The original question was answered over 2 months ago, anyhow, and I have a new question that applies to a similar problem. "Understand"?!

Does anyone have any suggestions that don't imply that I have the reading and writing skills of a 2 year old? I placed out of 6 ours of college English the last time I checked! ;o)

Thanks,
Nick
First Off, I wasn't trying to sound like an ass, even though I am on the verge to do so very soon. The reason I type "understand" was becuase I wasn't sure I constructed my last reply as well as I could have, I was asking if you understood because I really wanted to know.

· Registered
169 Posts
Btw, check your intercooler pipes to make sure they are all connected. I blew one off a while back and my car would "run outta breath" way before redline and I could figure out why (this was at the same time my fmu was backwards) I reconnected the pipe and my car was now able to redline. Worth a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.