Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 88 Honda Prelude SI automatic.
The back story is that I just got my car back from a tranny shop that put in a used tranny. Before that the car was fine except for the fact that the tranny blew.
While driving it home from the repair shop, I had it in drive and the S3 overdrive signal on the display was flashing. The speedometer was bouncing all over the place, usually within 5-10mph of what speed I was actually traveling at. Then when I was stopped at red lights for any length of time the temperature gauge would go up. After getting to the house it was hot and the fan kicked in. As for the transmission it seemed to shift hard which I don't believe is a good sign, and from appearance side it looks older than than the tranny I had in before. I have never felt so unsure about a car while driving as I did last night.
Any suggestions on what could be going on. Because of all the various problems I am sure many things are wrong. Good thing this was just a spare car. I would have a hard time trying to sell it like it is.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sounds to me like they prolly nicked some wiring while putting in the new tran.
Have a good look under the hood to see if theres any damage to the cable looms.
I have NEVER had any luck with 2nd user gearboxes and I [email protected] hate these tranny rebuilders (just my 2 cents worth). I suppose they can't be all bad. Just my rotten luck!
As for the hard shifting. Had the same happen to me years ago on an old Ford I had. That damn gearbox went back to these bastards about 8 times and they never got it right. Ended up almost giving the car away to get shot of the problem. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My prelude had a rebuilt b20a7 put in, and the s3 light would flash in the cold, but if you shut if off and restarted after warming it up it was fine, never proved to be a problem, but i dunno about your case.

Does your s4 button work?

The speedo cable is loose with old age, or they knocked it, go back to them and complain. I think they knocked hit, HARD, no way it should be inaccurate +/- 10 mph.

Those cars can take a beating. Believe that.

But in your case, i'd definately blame the mechanics, they did it, it is way out of the norm for all those things to happen at once, old age or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts