Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tonight i was driving riight. and i noticed my cluster display was kinda dull. i turned off the AC and then it got brighter..so humm.. i put the car in neutural and with the AC on i reved it 3 times...the lights dimmed on the display. i didnt notice a dimming of the headlights...usually the cars lights would be dull when my car would have a low battery. but i also got my small system running...yet the juice from it doesnt seem like its eating up my battery...is it my alternator? my car starts fine though.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yup too much strain on your alternator. Your system is fighting with your car for the juice from the alt. This can lead to the alt failing and your system is also not playing at its full potential. Best bet is to get a higher output alternator. A rewound alt is fine and its cheap and should hold up to your needs. BTW what amp(s) are you running and what are their current draws? Also look for a high output rewound alt, Somewhere around 135-150amps will do fine.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i also got a little smaller battery than it should...sears gave me the wrong one before and i havent gone back for another..its not toooo small its just 1 size lower than the origional. yet my start ups are fine...my system isnt complicated...i got an alpine double din...an amp that hits 280 and 2 6*9's. no subs or ne thing...my power wire isnt as big as it should be too..hehe its like 10 guage. so i should get the battery back to the origional before it eats out my alternator hu..damn sears..i just hate to go back there

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Kind of funny because today my alt was going out on me. The battery light hasnt came up yet but my lights are starting to dim a little which I hate. Time for a rewound alt for me also and plus I have the same car as you haha.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahah that battery light isnt going to come on until it doesnt run any more...stupid light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts