Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k, my friend just got a scion xb last week, and he wants to build a system, so im helping him out with what to get. He has a thousand dollar budget, and i was thinking of him to go all alpine. Hu, amp, and sub. Heres what i was thinking

alpine cda 9830

12" Type R sub

and either the Alpine MRD-M301 or Alpine MRD-M501

Now one of my questions is that the type R sub is dual 4 ohm, and the amps are 2 ohm, Will that work or does he have to get a different type of amp? If you guys think something is better than what i have here, feel free to let me know. thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
there's always something better :)
its cool that you try to keep everything the same brand.

that amp will work with that sub, if you only have one sub.

Alpine MRD-M501
# 250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
# 550 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

Alpine MRD-M301
# 175 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
# 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

the sub requires about 300wRMS.
since the amp is dvc4ohm you can wire it as a 2ohm load. the m301 is rated at 350wRMS at 2ohm. that is 50wRMS over what the sub is rated at but it shouldnt be a problem. heck you can even get the m501 which will be even better but and keep the gain down.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya he only wants one sub cause the scion has literally noooo trunk space at all, so he couldnt fit more than that. Plus it only has 108 hp, so if you had 2 subs it would go even slower. But ya, I felt that going all alpine was a good idea. Aight but thanks for your help man. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
ive got the 9830 and i like it.

does he just want a deck amp and subs?

if so i would get the 9830, with a kicker 600x1 amp and a kicker 12" L5 in a ported box

·
Registered
25 Posts
i wouldn't go with an alpine headunit to push the type r's. the only flaw with the alpine is the sub-woofer preout and the fact that it is extremely weak. he wouldn't get that much power to the subs. other than that, alpine might be one of the best, if not the best headunit out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i've always been a fan of the higher end pioneers with 4-volt preouts! i had a panasonic cqdf903u with 5-volt preouts which will push the subs harder than an alpine, yet my pioneer deh-p8500 sounds a whole lot better than the panasonic. i would recommend a pioneer, kenwood, or a higher end panasonic to do the job!!

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aight koo ill tell him to do that. I myself have the pioneer deh7600 mp and phoenix gold 8.0.1 amp and 2 infinity reference 12" and it all sounds really good. So maybe ill tell him to get a kenwood cause he liked kenwood. Thanks for help.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i would 2nd the high end panasonic they are nice decks. u could find the 8400u on ebay for like 250ish then u would have 750 for a sub and amp which would be stupid easy to do if ur gonna build ur own box and i forget a wireing harness and dash kit and install kit for the amp so i take that back 675 for the sub and amp. does he want stupid loud bass or just something nice and meduim? i think i could recomend something for the stupid loud for under 675. like a audioque hd 12 which is like 239 i think plus shipping so say 275 at most which is like 400 for an amp. which u could get a hifonics brutus 1000d for 233 shipped. and u got money left over for mids and highs. dang i am good.
for not stupid loud do a audique lw which is 109 plus shipping then a lanzar optidrive 180ish i think for less than 200 u just gotta look for it and u would have money for mids and highs and an amp.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
southboy1246 said:
i wouldn't go with an alpine headunit to push the type r's. the only flaw with the alpine is the sub-woofer preout and the fact that it is extremely weak. he wouldn't get that much power to the subs. other than that, alpine might be one of the best, if not the best headunit out there.

What are you talking about? There is nothing wrong with the alpine HU.. That deck has 4v preout, most deck has 2-3v preout unless you get to $400 or so which will have 4v.. If you want a higher voltage go with an eclipse they are 8v. Those subs are still entry level subs and are only about 300wRMS each. 4v preout with enough wattage on the amp should be more than enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SuperAkuma said:
What are you talking about? There is nothing wrong with the alpine HU.. That deck has 4v preout, most deck has 2-3v preout unless you get to $400 or so which will have 4v.. If you want a higher voltage go with an eclipse they are 8v. Those subs are still entry level subs and are only about 300wRMS each. 4v preout with enough wattage on the amp should be more than enough.
i know that the higher end alpine's have 4 volt preouts and thats the typical range u will find with higher end HU. since i work for circuit city in the 12 volt department selling alpine HU everyday, I know that the flaw with the alpine is the preout. if u ask any installer or sells person at ur local circuit city, they would probably tell you that they have ran into this problem. i've had numerous customers complain about their alpine unit and the fact that they expected a lot more from it when they installed a subwoofer to it. i also encountered a cust. last week that bought the cda9831 alpine and returned it for a panasonic cqc9700 because it wasn't performing. like i said before, alpine is probably (in my opinion) one of the best HU out, but it does have a flaw...which is the sub out.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
If your buddy doesn't listen to much Radio but more cd's and mp3's i suggest the Eclipse CD8454. 8V preouts plus it has a slot for your memory cards for your mp3s. The worst thing about them is they have VERY bad reception for your radio channels.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my friend decided on getting the Clarion DXZ945MPR, which is that touch screen one cause he liked it soo much lol.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
southboy1246 said:
i know that the higher end alpine's have 4 volt preouts and thats the typical range u will find with higher end HU. since i work for circuit city in the 12 volt department selling alpine HU everyday, I know that the flaw with the alpine is the preout. if u ask any installer or sells person at ur local circuit city, they would probably tell you that they have ran into this problem. i've had numerous customers complain about their alpine unit and the fact that they expected a lot more from it when they installed a subwoofer to it. i also encountered a cust. last week that bought the cda9831 alpine and returned it for a panasonic cqc9700 because it wasn't performing. like i said before, alpine is probably (in my opinion) one of the best HU out, but it does have a flaw...which is the sub out.
most of the returns i see are because the customer doesn't know how to use the 9831. Not because it doesn't perform up to their expectations. If someone tries to just jump in without reading the manual or having someone show them every aspect of the radio, then yeah they will return it everytime saying its not doing what they want. It is a really nice radio, and if you learn how to use it to its full capability, then it will meet every expectation you have for it.

Its the same reason why most people return their gps units that they buy. They don't know how it works.

I have an alpine with the 4 volt preouts, and i've never had any problem, or complaint with it. the only thing i would get instead of an alpine hu is an eclipse that has 8 volt preouts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts