Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm usually in the prelude forum, but my girlfriend has been having trouble with her Civic so i figured i'd post it in here and see if anyone has anything to say. The problem is her gas gauge...it moves a lot, she'll fill up the tank, and after only a bit of driving it's dropped down half a tank. I saw it myself first hand last night, so i know it's somethign really wrong. She isn't leaking gas i don't think because everytime we got out it didn't smell of gas at all. She does have sort of a heavy foot, but any Civic engine can't burn gas this fast, like it's so ridiculous that my jaw nearly dropped when she pointed it out. Anyone have any input at all? Thanks for anything guys and girls.

·
Registered
240 Posts
yea my old civic was a bit of a b*tch but my only problem was the fluctuating fuel guage just when going up hills and turning right hand corners like round abouts.

is it actually using this fuel or could it just be the fuel sensor thinking it has less fuel than it does as i always use to scream "ino you have more fuel than that u little pink tw*t" hehe loved the car but fuel guage lies it lies i tell thee

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if it actually uses the gas, because she says when it's way down on empty (way before it should be, without much driving and what not) she says that it actually feels like it starts funny, like it's really low on gas apparently. So i'm not sure if it's actually using the gas or not, or if the guage or something is messed up. I know thats a bit all over the place, you guys understand what i'm saying?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kommon_sense said:
All we can do is *GUESS* without knowing the gas mileage. If the mileage is low, then you have a fuel/engine problem... If gas mileage is fine, then you just have a problem with either the meter or the sending unit in the tank...
we can't really find out the gas mileage if the gauge is going down this quickly, because if for whatever reason she really is using that much gas, it'd be stupid to keep going past empty due to the fact that we could just run out of gas, so trying to find out the gas mileage isn't really an option.

98civcEK said:
read my and kommons post and come back to us
i read them, and i don't mean to sound like a punk, but they weren't much help, and either way kommon_sense posted after i bumped the thread. but thanks.

·
Registered
680 Posts
All they're asking for is when the gauge reads empty, how many gallons do you put in the fuel tank when you fill it back up? For example when my gas light comes on I usually put about 9 gallons in. If your only putting in 4 or 5 gallons it's a problem with the sending unit or gauge, but if your putting 8-10 gallons in then you have a more significant problem. Also how many miles between fill-ups? Just reset your trip when you fill up and check it again on your next fill up. Should be getting somewhere between 250 and 300 miles depending on your driving.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
gbolude said:
we can't really find out the gas mileage if the gauge is going down this quickly, because if for whatever reason she really is using that much gas, it'd be stupid to keep going past empty due to the fact that we could just run out of gas, so trying to find out the gas mileage isn't really an option.
So you are telling me that you can't or won't do simple division and subtraction? Does the odometer work? You fill up... Look at odometer, write number down. Drive... At some point, fill up again. Write down how many gallons it took to fill up. Look at the odometer again. Now you know how many miles you went since the first time you looked at the odometer, and you know how much gas you used to get there...

mileage = miles driven / gallons of gas used

If the civic has a trip counter, then just reset the trip counter when you fill up, that way you can avoid the subtraction...

I'm sorry man, but you have to put some effort into troubleshooting before we can be of any help...

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
gbolude said:
i read them, and i don't mean to sound like a punk, but they weren't much help, and either way kommon_sense posted after i bumped the thread. but thanks.
if they didn't help.....then we have more serious issues than just the gas guage going down fast.

like we all have said more than once............fill it up.....then when the guage goes down really far fill back up and calculate mileage. simple, easy, clear cut.

what more did you want anyone to say.......that the fuel tank is losing fuel or that your car is running rich because of the bad o2 sensor. seriously, we couldn't tell that unless we were there diagnosing it ourselves, or you were a mechanic telling us.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are in the process of checking the mileage it gets but what i'm saying is that it's pointless because her gauge does go down so fast that it's a bigger problem. I don't know the figures, but even my Prelude gets better mileage than her, with the same amount of driving (to and from each others house) and i drive harder and faster, so it's more than just checking the gas mileage...thats what i was getting at, i apologize for the confusion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.