Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this poast weekend i thought i blew my clutch...i didnt my transmission is jsut on the edge of dieing

to fix it at a shop will be 2000...and i say fuck that...and my engine has 112000 miles on it

should i jsut suck it up and go with an engine swap..a lower engine that includes all the mounts trans and ecu that u see everywhere or jsut go to the junk yard and try to salvage a used trans... a new car is outa the question and i want to build up my car i jsut dont have money to do it properly...im thinking a lower end swap with a trans should get my by now and later downt he road when money problems clear up i can buoild it up properly...any input will servely help... Thanks guys.. jsut kinda freaking out (car isnt the only thing on my plate right now) i jsut need sum light at the end of the tunnel

·
Registered
54 Posts
ya dude go cheap and get the tranny used, save up and do your swap down the road the right way. you'll be better off with a cheaper trans now and a better swap later.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea im gunna have a shop replace it...and im gunna save this trans and rebuild it slowly and beef it up a bit...or just prepare to do a mini-me and change to the ex trans too...been stressful ebcause this is my only means of transportation atm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well right now its driveable..just have to be very delicate shifting... but i know a few people and i think i got a great connection to one mechanic that should do it A LOT cheaper and a great job..plus i hear hes big into computers and im a tech so im gunna try to haggle and be like look ill fix ur comptuer and like family and friends for a cheaper price on the fix lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that it isn't your clutch? I think even the manual trannies on most domestic vehicles will go 200-300k, let alone a Honda m/t. What are the exact signs/symptoms? For instance, my clutch is having difficulty shifting into gear right now because it 'sticks' to the bottom of the floor and doesn't come back up without a lot of pumping - I'm pretty sure that my problem is the clutch master cylinder (hydraulic clutch) and has nothing to do with the integrity of my clutch disc/pressure plate or actual tranny internals. SO what I'm trying to say is that there are numerous other things that can go bad w/o the internals needing replaced (ie if you 'ride' the clutch pedal you may have worn out your throw out bearing despite the lower milage, etc), basically I think you need to have a more reputable place take a look at it (and DONT mention to them "well this other guy said it needs the whole tranny replaced for 2g's" this screams ram be in the A__). I'm thinking that in the WORST case scenario you would just get a used trans from a junkyard and get someone to help you put it in that is mechanically inclined (ie a relative/friend, or someone off of this forum who lives near you and offer them a couple hundred bucks) and you can install the trans and even throw on a new clutch plate while you're in there for less than a grand easy.

Oh and another thing that would be a simple thing to check is the fluid level in your m/t. They don't like to shift very well when this it's low, in fact the manual transmissions I know would prefer burn up their gears when starved for oil (just tryin to lighten things up w/ a little friendly sarcasm).

J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.