Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I suppose police aren't too crazy about tinted black preludes, with loud exhausts. Here are two storys that happened to me in the last few months.

#1. Driving home, i take a left hand turn. There are three lanes, I make a left directly into the farthest lane on the right. I get pulled over, officer says I must turn into the 1st most immediate lane, and than signal over. Please, are u serious? Is this even true. Anyway, officer tells me that he is into the "car scene" also, and wants to make sure im being safe. He sends me home with no ticket because the computers were down.

#2. I get pulled over for an 88 on a 55 on highway 864, which obviously is my fault. Anyway, I go to court today, and the officer is not there. What happens? They let me go, and drop the charges. Wow thats like a $600 ticket plus 8 points! I never knew they can just drop the charges like that---anyone who is even condsidering pleading guilty on a ticket, i advise you to reconsider!

peace

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Go get a lotto ticket if you have that kinda luck going. How were you going to get 8 points and a 600 dollar fine for a speeding ticket though?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30 mph over the posted speed limit= 8 points, and about a $600 fine in NY

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
yes you do have to turn into the closest lane - it's in the drivers' manual. And on a three lane road you need to get into the left lane, drive there for a while, signal, change to the middle, drive there for a while, signal and then finally move over to the right lane.
That's why Ma$e is such a badass for "switchin' four lanes" like he raps about. He could get a citation! But of course, money ain't a thang.

And yes if you go to court and the officer doesn't show you get off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup, that'll happen. If the officer who pulled you over doesn't show, then you get off! I contested my first ticket and I made a "plea bargin" with the officer and we agreed on me taking a driver safety course and he would drop the ticket. I would definitely say yes to contesting tickets! Nice luck bud!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
around where I live they schedule all the hearings for one cop on a certain day, and then they get paid to show up. So the cops ALWAYS show...no matter what. It used to be different but then they got smart and changed the law.

How do you make a plea bargain? I just got a ticket and really want to do something about it being that I wasn't going to speed the cop said I was. But yeah tell me about it please!!!! I need to know pretty quick because if I cant handle it myself I am getting a lawyer.

·
Registered
665 Posts
lets see. over the summer, i was peacing down 7 lakes drive, US RT6, off NYS Thruway going home and as im doing like 95 in a 25 on a road they close in the winter because you'll straight up die i see the party lights. since i was already doin more than 3 times the legal limit, i kept going, banked a left and pulled over behind an apartment complex for an hour. so, after an hour or so me and my buddies decided to go back to my house. so i get there, 2 hours later i see 3 state troppers with full racks glowing in my driveway down by the gate. but couldnt get up cuz the gate was closed. obvioulsy, my mom opened the gate. they roll up. and asked me "what were u trying to prove by deonstrating that kind of lack of respect for the law" or something like that. so he yanks me and all my friends outside. tells me he found me because 2 different tourists called in my plate number and he had a hunch it was me. so he hands me a ticket for wreckless driving, unsafe operation of a motor vehicle and hands me an appearance ticket for resisting arrest, a class A misdemeanor in NY. and then, he asks me if i have anything to hide since he had to search us i guess cuz technically it was an arrest. so after he searches me and doesnt find anything he goes into my car, searches, finds nothing. then, he hits the button on my screen and it pops out with a plastic bag attached to it with like 6 fresh g's of northern lights. i get taken to the station. booked, and finger printed. went to court a week ago. everything dropped except the UPM (unlawful possesion of marijuana) Class C Misdemeanor, $200 fine, 20 hrs community service. thanks to my 3 thousdand dollar lawyer. FUCK!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
typically cops get time and a half or double if they show up to court. However, it is usually on there days off and they certainly can't show up to every case.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dadmn that sucks man, atleast they dropped all the other shit, and u could ahve easily had your license suspended...btw, northern lights=2 thumbs up, lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
scottigee said:
And yes if you go to court and the officer doesn't show you get off.
That's not true. I was caught for racing back in 2001. I had to go to court for 6 months since racing is considered as a misdemeanor in NY. For the 1st. 3 months officer didn't show, but that didn't get me off the hook. Eventually by the 5th, month the officer showed. Overall, I had to pay legal fees and was lucky to get the charges dropped to just speeding.

You live and learn

·
Registered
187 Posts
1st to the guy from NY u cant get a 8 pt speeding ticket. DUI is 8 in every state. Highest points u can get for speeding is 5!!! 25 over limit will get u that.(wreckless) Yes it is true that if the cop doesnt show up you will get off if you plead innocent when asked cuz theres no one there to prosecute u!!! However if the cop had planned that day off and notified the court all his paperwork will then go to the states attourney who will prosecute for everything!!! So its all based on luck!!! I have had my license taken from me a couple times and I am now serving probation for my 22 points that will all be gone April 1 pending no arrests!!! And also judges cant issue points!!! They can give u fines,time and pbj!!! But not points or suspensions. The DMV issues the points. Now a judge can reduce the speed on your ticket that will more than likely lead to less points cuz it looks like a lesser offense.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oh and by the way if anybody has a question about court you can ask me. And never pay for a lawyer unless it is a major offense. (DUI,DWI,Vehicular manslaughter, Vehicular Homicide)And believe it or not a driving on suspended license will get you more points than a DUI,DWI!!! You get 12 for that!!!

Reactions: WillyG

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
2.0LMustangEatr said:
Oh and by the way if anybody has a question about court you can ask me. And never pay for a lawyer unless it is a major offense. (DUI,DWI,Vehicular manslaughter, Vehicular Homicide)And believe it or not a driving on suspended license will get you more points than a DUI,DWI!!! You get 12 for that!!!
I just PM'd you...check it out. I hope you can help!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
If I remember correctly from my days in New York a NY License only has 11 points on it that you can take from. You lose all 11 for 40mph over the limit.

And 00BLKBB6 I think you're right - I think it's up to the Officer if he wants to drop the charges. If he's got a bone to pick though, or if it's a good one (like street racing) he's going to want to reschedule the date.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
scottigee said:
If I remember correctly from my days in New York a NY License only has 11 points on it that you can take from. You lose all 11 for 40mph over the limit.

....That is correct...MustangEater...hate to say it but u are wrong. You can lose 11 points at once, and be arrested for double over the speed limit, if its an extreme speed. And yes i know for a fact u can lose 8 points for 30 mph over...i read it in a manual, and the state trooper told me!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here it is

Speeding (MPH over speed limit not indicated) 3pts
Speeding (MPH over speed limit):
1 - 10 MPH 3 pts
11 - 20 MPH 4 pts
21 - 30 MPH 6 pts
31 - 40 MPH 8 pts
More than 40 MPH 11 pts
Reckless driving 5 pts

That is a really f'd up point system. It wasnt always that high but it is now computer generated and you all have to pay driver responsibility assessments also.
This Marylands
Speeding over the Speed Limit
1 to 9 - 1 points
10 to 29 - 2 points
30 or greater or 20 or greater in 65 mph zone - 5 points
I like this one better

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
i almost get arrested for doing 120mph on a 55mhp highway, i got away cus I told him i had to take a shit :lmao

·
Registered
187 Posts
gsrboy171 said:
i almost get arrested for doing 120mph on a 55mhp highway, i got away cus I told him i had to take a shit :lmao
Now this guy should buy a lotto ticket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts