Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why? because drift car.

i was in the market for a cheap drift car, and 240s are getting expensive for trash. so i bought the german equivalent to the 240. yea, its no m3, but i picked it up for cheap.

2.8 i6
190hp (rated)
210lbft (rated)

·
Boost Junkie
6,249 Posts
Not too shabby.

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup. its fun as fuck to drive. its not an m3, but jesus it tries its damndest to be.

currently doing routine maintenance to it. new water pump and thermo are in the mail, as well as 2 oil filters. planning a mishimoto aluminum rado, and new control arms with poly bushings, as well as new poly/solid bushings for everything else. all of these things are just routine replaced items with attention being paid to quality and useful upgrades. hell, i researched the proper oil and coolant to use in it since im planning to (drift) track it.

right now, i have an open diff which is no bueno for drift. luckily the m3 is lsd and the diffs are ~$350. they have a 25% lock ratio from the factory, which is decent. the stock lsd is a 2 clutch with a spacer the size of a clutch. Bimmerdiffs sells a rebuild kit with a 3rd clutch for just under $300 that refreshes the factory diff and bumps it to 40% lock. so that the plan for the diff.

im also thinking of staying with 16s for the time being. i might just go with corvette salad shooters for dailys and use my current wheels for drift days.

im aiming to be ready for the start of the season next year, to where i can hit up the lonestar drift events and any other small time events around the state.

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
oh fuck... roger mad a quality post ;-)

looking good man. i'm about to get rid of this fucking civic and look into a 330i/ix or a early 2000's s4

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
yup. its fun as fuck to drive. its not an m3, but jesus it tries its damndest to be.

currently doing routine maintenance to it. new water pump and thermo are in the mail, as well as 2 oil filters. planning a mishimoto aluminum rado, and new control arms with poly bushings, as well as new poly/solid bushings for everything else. all of these things are just routine replaced items with attention being paid to quality and useful upgrades. hell, i researched the proper oil and coolant to use in it since im planning to (drift) track it.

right now, i have an open diff which is no bueno for drift. luckily the m3 is lsd and the diffs are ~$350. they have a 25% lock ratio from the factory, which is decent. the stock lsd is a 2 clutch with a spacer the size of a clutch. Bimmerdiffs sells a rebuild kit with a 3rd clutch for just under $300 that refreshes the factory diff and bumps it to 40% lock. so that the plan for the diff.

im also thinking of staying with 16s for the time being. i might just go with corvette salad shooters for dailys and use my current wheels for drift days.

im aiming to be ready for the start of the season next year, to where i can hit up the lonestar drift events and any other small time events around the state.

m3 diff's also have a more aggressive gearing. make sure you check the guibo on the drive shaft. they're a pain in the dick to replace. btw you can swap m3 cams into the car. between those exhaust and reflash you can put down close to stock m3 numbers

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mofucker i aint dumb. my stock diff is 2.89. 95 m3 is 3.15 and 96+ is 3.23. either of those will be lots better than a 2.89 open

and yea, i checked the guibo when i had it on the lift, it looks good for now, but i think im gonna replace it when i get around to swapping out bushings and shit. i think my shift linkage and shit needs to be rebuilt too. all part of the plan.

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took a road trip this weekend. went and did ranch road 337 which s a badass texas hill country road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vixQhP8Vfg

went out with what started as 5 e36s.

1 e36 m3 4door auto
1 e36 m3 coupe
1 e36 m3 coupe supercharged
1 e36 318ti with a full m3 swap
and my e36 328is.

i was the only stock one out there. everyone else had suspension +. the supercharged had to bow out on the drive up there due to time constraints and misjudging how long we would be gone. my car did alright. i had my kid with me and a cooler and a friend so i didnt push it too hard. when i was with the pack i could keep up mostly but once they all put distance on my i slowed considerably. mostly because i felt safe because i didnt know the road. if you watch the vid you will see how tight and sharp the turns are. all in all there was no brake downs or anything and my car didnt skip a beat. i was happy. also i was happy that despite a shitty 2.89 diff (m3s are 3.15/3.23) and 30ish less hp, i was able to keep up most of the time. even a high speed pull from 35mph they didnt pull me too bad. this run did show me i need suspension work, and possibly brake work done.

chilling after the run.

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DO EEEET!

if im honest, ive never thought the TIs were cool, even now, i saw one tonight and i hated it, but the M3 full swap one that came along was tits.

you can always get a 4door M3

or, do what i wish i woulda done (sometimes) and get an E30

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive got nothing new to report. however, i have been contemplating gathering ideas for a turbo build and SLOWLY gathering the pieces for it. not looking for alot, shooting for 300whp, anything after that is just icing on the cake.

SPA makes a cast manifold for $500, there is currently a t4 flange one on ebay for $250 and its new. BMW Turbo Manifold T4 M50 & S50 Series 2-Bolt S 090333 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products

cxracing makes an intercooler kit that seems to be a great option.

turbo, well i need to find something that isnt expensive as fuck and easy to find used. i was thinking a holset, as that seems to be the goto, but they are huge and made for turbo diesels.

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
welp, nothing new to report as usual, however i have formulated a plan for somewhere near 400whp and 400tq. of course, this is all future plans. must get LSD and Broadway Static Coilovers first.

turbo - S200SX-56 oil cooled FTW, aint gotta worry about supplying water to it.

manifold - BMW Turbo Manifold T4 M50 & S50 Series 2-Bolt S 090333 | Purchase DEI, CryO2, Ny-Trex, Boom Mat & SPA Turbo Products | Design Engineering, Inc. - Thermal Performance Products

clutch kit - FX Racing Stage 3 Clutch Kit and Aluminum Flywheel 323 325 328 I Is 525I 528I M3 Z3

tune - M5x S5x E36 Turbo Tune ? RK-Tunes

wastegate - Tial MV-R Wastegate 44mm Black w/ All Springs MVRBK at RallySportDirect.com

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
lol that was my goal too... you can turbo them relatively cheap and make power. make sure you get that ultra thick metal HG to drop compression

·
Registered
37,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
picked these up this weekend. $200 w/ tires. tires ended up being damn near brand new 255/50/16 bf goodrich gforce. ($130 ea, new). since the tires are too tall, the plan is to separate them from the wheel and then throw them on CL for $350 and take the first offer near $300.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts