Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my o2 sensor on my '98 DX to improve my gas mileage, but my Chilton's manual does not show a good picture of where the sensor is located (I know it's somewhere by the muffler). Also, it appears you might need a special tool to remove it, according to the manual. Is this true? Any help is appreciated! :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
your o2 sensor will be after the catalytic convertor which will be the first buldge in the exhaust system that looks like a muffler...and I have taken mine out without a special tool several times with a wrench....22mm I do believe....as far as improving your gas mileage unless your o2 sensor is reading wrong it shouldn't play any part in your gas mileage....its simply an emissions control device created to monitor the change in oxygen and other gases from when your exhaust enters your catalytic convertor until when it exits the catalytic convertor. Unless you are throwing a check engine code I would see no need to replace it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the light didn't come on. In that case I won't worry about it :D Thanks for the help...at least I will have that info if I need it in the future. :eek:

·
Registered
466 Posts
You actually have two, so don't listen to what Smurfedout was saying (both are under the car, one is located a few inches in front of the catalytic convertor, the second should actually be plugged into the cat). The one before the cat is actually reading your air/fuel mixture and adjusting accordingly; some people claim that replacing this when old will give better gas mileage. Unless it truly goes bad (ie, throws a code), then I wouldn't bother replacing it. But you should only need a wrench anyway (the manual tells you to get a special tool because those can become stuck in there pretty good since they heat up and cool down so often). The one after the cat, as Smurfedout was saying, is the one that just reads emission levels. Do a basic tune-up (cap, rotor, spark plugs, change oil, etc.) and check tire pressure and your car will probably thank you :clap and then give you better gas mileage :w00t .

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
hatchbackgirl said:
I want to change my o2 sensor on my '98 DX to improve my gas mileage, but my Chilton's manual does not show a good picture of where the sensor is located (I know it's somewhere by the muffler). Also, it appears you might need a special tool to remove it, according to the manual. Is this true? Any help is appreciated! :)
yea like gmusquiz said one is on the cat since u have an obd2 car and 1 is before the cat. but i would use the special o2 sensor socket if fu cant get it with a regular wrench because sometimes those things are a pain in the ass to get out and u dont want it to get stripped. hit it with good penatrating oil and then try to get it out. but you should have a problem though. but i do rather recommend a tuneup and tire pressure check before doing the o2 sensor....but wats recommended maintenence on ur o2 sensors. does ur chilton tell u? the o2 is ok as long as it switches and isnt biased toward lean or rich side but if the maintence is due den change it out

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car is almost at 70k miles, and I have had the following services done since I have owned my car (August '00) And also the things I have replaced.

Regular oil changes (OF COURSE)
Antifreeze change
Transmission Fluid Changed (Auto tranny)
Tire rotations
New Battery
New front brakes
Spark plugs changed out twice within the last 5 years.
I think that's it for what I have done.

Planning on doing the timing belt, water pump and valve adjustment within the next year.

What else does everyone suggest I do to keep my car up on it's maintenence schedule? It has ran very good ever since I got it, so I've had no complaints. What do you expect? It's a Honda!

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I suggest changing spark plugs more than 2 times per 5 years.

I do mine every other oil change

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gurusan said:

That sure sounds like a lot. I heard you are only supposed to do them when you get tune-ups. When I did mine last time they didn't look too bad...

·
Banned
87 Posts
gurusan said:

you change your spark plugs too much!. If you buy any regular plugs they can be re-gapped. Any platinum or iridium plugs can't be re-gapped but they don't need changed but every 50,000-100,000 miles platinum and iridium wear almost none but the platinum and iridium tips on the electrode(s) fall off . Regular Plugs need to be changed about every 25,000-30,000 miles or so. As far as a tune up, if the rotor button has no carbon tracking in it, then I don't replace it. If the distributor cap doesn't have a hole in it and the terminals are in decent condition then I don't change that either.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kommon_sense said:
2 times per 5 yrs is fine. every other oil change is a complete waste. I change mine once a year unless I've been experimenting :)
Cool, I really thought like that sounded like WAYYYY too much. That could get expensive because it costs around $10 to do them each time. Add that onto the price of getting your oil changed at the mechanic, or doing it yourself (just the materials alone) and that would get very pricey. I'll just stick to checking mine every year or so and change them as they wear. :D

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
hatchbackgirl said:
Cool, I really thought like that sounded like WAYYYY too much. That could get expensive because it costs around $10 to do them each time. Add that onto the price of getting your oil changed at the mechanic, or doing it yourself (just the materials alone) and that would get very pricey. I'll just stick to checking mine every year or so and change them as they wear. :D
yea try to stay close with ur maintenence guide. every wat 40k for spark plugs or 60k?dats wat i recommend doing and follow it with the milage. ur car should be fine though.still pretty new

·
Banned
87 Posts
ok any to further help you your o2 sensor shouldn't need changed but every 100,000 if you would feel better if you changed it.

very very quick history:
when o2 sensors first came out the engine manufacturers wanted to make it so you had to change them every 30,000 miles the e.p.a. had other plans and said that anything (sensor wise.) had to be good for at the very least 50,000 miles. That was about 20 years ago give or take a few( I have a few on my 88 jetta, but none on my 86' monte carlo SS H.O.(60cc 334 stroker) but then again they were first made by vw/Bosch)

hope that helps you decide to change or not. I'll post a complete history if you would like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts