Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my sister is about to turn 16 which means she will be looking for a car. since i dont have a younger brother to coax into buying some sort of honda and making it 'mad jdm tyte yo', i have to make an impact on my sister. she seems to like the del sol a lot and i could live with her driving one but i have some questions. what years and models came with airbags (atleast drivers side)? are all SI's manuals (she wants a 5spd :w00t )? ive heard its rare to find one with the DOHC VTEC motor is this true? AND... what models had what motors in them originally? i know that's a lot but any answers are greatly appreciated! thanks guys! :number1

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Si's are fairly quick, and a lot easier to find/inexpensive.
She'll love it, unless she likes to "tool around" with her
friends, then she'll be SOL, haha.
EDIT: '95 up had airbags on both sides, not sure about
the '94 model year; '93's no. '95's the best! :btu

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
93-95:
S-sohc non vtec d15b7 102hp
Si-sohc vtec d16z6 125hp

94-95:
in addition to the engines above,
VTEC-dohc vtec b16a3 160hp

96-97:
S-sohc nonvtec d16y7 105hp
Si-sohc vtec d16y8 127hp
VTEC-dohc vtec b16a3 160hp

Si has all airbags and all disc brakes, so does the vtec model. and yes, the dohc model is quite rare. im fairly sure they all have airbags, and the VTECs are manuals, S and Si can be either auto or manual trans. search for the Si.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The S has the DX motor, the Si has the EX motor (127ish hp) and the VTEC has a B16 (160hp). Is her mind set on the Del Sol? How does she feel about the EG coupe and hatch? Integra? For airbag info, go to Edmunds.com. All models of a particular year would either have air bags or not have air bags, and I think all Del Sols come with them. If the Si has rear disc brakes like ksniperfox says, don't consider getting an S if you want to change her brakes.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
If the Si has rear disc brakes like ksniperfox says, .
they do.
i 0wn one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for all the help! she isnt dead set on a del sol, she sorta likes the hatches too. but we shall see, once again thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
soul 93 said:
all del sols had at least one airbag...in 94 they got pass bags too (makes the dash look shitty though)
I dont think they look bad, i would rather have a shitty looking dash with airbags then a hard ass dash with no air bad.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i may feel safer riding with her if she has passenger air bags :D !

i think she found a bright green SI for sale around here, we may go check it out this saturday. since she doesnt know to much about cars ill prob go along to inspect the norms.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
904lude said:
i may feel safer riding with her if she has passenger air bags :D !

i think she found a bright green SI for sale around here, we may go check it out this saturday. since she doesnt know to much about cars ill prob go along to inspect the norms.
Cool...if it's Samba green. I always liked that color.
Sticks out like a sore thumb, though :lol! Or like red.
ksniperfox's is Samba green; they only made
one or two other green Sol's, I think, and they were
dark green. Maybe just one?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
BlueBallz said:
Cool...if it's Samba green. I always liked that color.
Sticks out like a sore thumb, though :lol! Or like red.
ksniperfox's is Samba green; they only made
one or two other green Sol's, I think, and they were
dark green. Maybe just one?
There's an assload of Samba green Sols at my university (at least 3). It's hideous compared to galapagos green.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If I were you going to see the car I'd go alone to see it. Having her there with you makes you look desprite. If it's stock, it's a keeper. Unabused, If it's got parts on it and the seller points them out feeding you BS act uninterested and focus more on the interior and radio try to make yourself look dumb but you also want to ask the questions that gives you the info you need. If he keeps rambling about the parts just ask him stuff like, how much to replace that if it breaks or do you have reciepts for any of this.

Give your offer (somewhat of a lowball offer of the asking) DONT TESTDRIVE IT leave don't try to haggle him/her. Act like your in no hurry. A week later go back and ask to test drive it. Now is the time to raise the offer, but not a huge amount take 200-600 should do it..make up some bs about it, other cars, don't say it's not for you. Show up alone!!! call a few days later if he want's to sell it should fall right through.

If it doesn't work..just wait and raise your offer. That way your always in control.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Chinese Acrobat said:
If I were you going to see the car I'd go alone to see it. Having her there with you makes you look desprite. If it's stock, it's a keeper. Unabused, If it's got parts on it and the seller points them out feeding you BS act uninterested and focus more on the interior and radio try to make yourself look dumb but you also want to ask the questions that gives you the info you need. If he keeps rambling about the parts just ask him stuff like, how much to replace that if it breaks or do you have reciepts for any of this.

Give your offer (somewhat of a lowball offer of the asking) DONT TESTDRIVE IT leave don't try to haggle him/her. Act like your in no hurry. A week later go back and ask to test drive it. Now is the time to raise the offer, but not a huge amount take 200-600 should do it..make up some bs about it, other cars, don't say it's not for you. Show up alone!!! call a few days later if he want's to sell it should fall right through.

If it doesn't work..just wait and raise your offer. That way your always in control.
That is so hard to do when I know I've found the perfect car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wouldnt get her something like a del sol for her first car she will just start learning how and more then likely mess it up or kill her self. They do have a very bad death chance on them you know i wrecked mine im lucky to still be here i was young and stupid so i would go with something a little cheaper and better to get a few dings in then a del sol. Let her practice with a clunker first.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Delsol9 said:
I wouldnt get her something like a del sol for her first car she will just start learning how and more then likely mess it up or kill her self. They do have a very bad death chance on them you know i wrecked mine im lucky to still be here i was young and stupid so i would go with something a little cheaper and better to get a few dings in then a del sol. Let her practice with a clunker first.
Her chances are not much better in an Si or Civic than they would be in a del Sol. A Prelude or Integra would be safer though. :rolleyes

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think you guys are taking it the wrong way. shes not a bad driver i was joking. as far as wrecks and near death situations im only 18 and im way ahead of most of you.

and as far as messing up a del sol, no offense i love my honda's but its a honda not a porche or bmw. they are cheap and thats one reason she likes them, shes on a budget. i think something like a del sol or civic would be a great first car. my first car was a crx and i loved it. i guess you guys mentioned the "very bad death chance" because its a compact two seater, but that is why one of my main concerns were air bags.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
yeah man i remb when i bought my del sol, i bought it myself 3 months before i could even get my license, i loved the car ever since, i used to cruise everywhere for no reason, it wasnt until i started throwing aftermarket parts on it when i started to get less and less happy with it. Now it sits out front and barely gets driven sine i wrecked it into a guardrail, damage is fixed but it doesnt seem the same anymore, i bought an eg hatch to continue my project on that car but its not the same, i dont appreciate the car near as much as i do the sol, i guess it was the whole first car love thats still got me :(

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
timtim123 said:
yeah man i remb when i bought my del sol, i bought it myself 3 months before i could even get my license, i loved the car ever since, i used to cruise everywhere for no reason, it wasnt until i started throwing aftermarket parts on it when i started to get less and less happy with it. :(

i know EXACTLY what you mean. i used to crewz all the time in that lil skank. got compliments atleast once a week, and people asked about it on a daily basis at work. then my buddy towed it on his trailer once with the FMIC/no bumper, some guy offered to buy it lol :hehe it must have looked ownz0rz
but i wasnt there at the time

i miss driving it so much, i cant wait to get it running again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.