Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
b18c1 swap + Garret t3/to4e 57 trim, .60 ar compressor, .63 ar exhaust

Lately my turbo has been very quiet, even when i'm at 100% throttle..all i can hear is the suction of air and no more turbine whine/whistle (yes, it used to have such a beautiful whine/whislte as it was spooling..just like semi's now it's gone..:cry).

I took out the turbo's inlet piping + apexi filter to check the turbine...seems fine. Spins freely w/ no shaft play at all.

Also, i just took it for a spin and I SWEAR it seems to take forever to get full boost now (which is 10psi), also 1st and 2nd gear dont peel out like the used too anymore either...it just plain feels weak.

The engine is still extremely healthy, doesnt burn a drop of oil nor does it blow out black/blue smoke. Idles perfectly.

This is my first f/i vehicle and i might be over-reacting...but it's cause i'm concerned!!

Any suggestions? Thanks much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
check all your couplers and or t-bolts if you have them or if you use hose clamps. what kinda wastegate are you using id put money on it being the wastegate spring is wore out i had the same problem a while back where the heat from the exhuast wore out the spring cuz when you heat meatal it softens alot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuccarlos said:
check all your couplers and or t-bolts if you have them or if you use hose clamps. what kinda wastegate are you using id put money on it being the wastegate spring is wore out i had the same problem a while back where the heat from the exhuast wore out the spring cuz when you heat meatal it softens alot!
thanks, i'll check on that. I'm running a 35mm Tial Wastegate with an 8psi spring. It's also connected to a TurboXS manual boost controller turned up to 10psi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
mRek9R said:
thanks, i'll check on that. I'm running a 35mm Tial Wastegate with an 8psi spring. It's also connected to a TurboXS manual boost controller turned up to 10psi.
now that you mention you have a tial im even more sure its the spring cuz thats the same wastegate i had problems with
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuccarlos said:
now that you mention you have a tial im even more sure its the spring cuz thats the same wastegate i had problems with
damn, is it possible to run w/o a spring and just on the Turbo XS boost controller?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,657 Posts
mRek9R said:
damn, is it possible to run w/o a spring and just on the Turbo XS boost controller?

Nope, with no spring it wont boost at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PM-Performance said:
Nope, with no spring it wont boost at all.

yea..i was thinking that too. I hoping it's just a leak...rechecking all my couplers and tbolts and BOV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hm...i was doing some test runs today and i also noticed that when the wastegate opens it doesnt "ROAR" anymore....i just "swooshes" and "hisses"...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
mRek9R said:
Hm...i was doing some test runs today and i also noticed that when the wastegate opens it doesnt "ROAR" anymore....i just "swooshes" and "hisses"...
im telling you its the spring inside the wastegate!!! thats the most common problem with the 35mm wastegate and this was said to me from a guy at tial
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,657 Posts
why would that be a problem only in the 35mm's?
They all use the same springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
PM-Performance said:
why would that be a problem only in the 35mm's?
They all use the same springs.
actually they dont use the same spring im running a tial 44mm wastegate now and the spring inside of the 44mm is bigger in circumfrance then that of the 35 i use to run the 35 until i had the same thing happen to me thats why i switched wastegates
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuccarlos said:
actually they dont use the same spring im running a tial 44mm wastegate now and the spring inside of the 44mm is bigger in circumfrance then that of the 35 i use to run the 35 until i had the same thing happen to me thats why i switched wastegates
ya, i bought a new spring to test it out. thanks bro! 8)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top