Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted a couple guys to look over my Engine rebuild and let me know what y'all think... does the rebuild look solid??

y7 Block
SRP 9:1 Piston .020 over
Eagle Rods
JE Rings Sets
New Timming Belt
New Water Pump
New Oil Pump
Cometic 75.5mm Headgasket
ARP Head Studs

Y7 Head (don't want Vtec)
NGK BCPR7ES-11 Spark Plugs
Port & Polished w/ 3 angle valve job
Port Match Intake Runners to P&P on head
Port Match Exhaust Runners to P&P on head

Just some background i've got 00 Civic Dx coupe, turbocharged with a Gredy 15g kit.. many future mods to go... but this is what i got...

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I'd go with some endyn rollerwaves ~10:1 or so... Yes... even with turbo :)

Golden Eagle also offers overbored OEM head gaskets. I would also add an oil catch can to the setup.

Instead of porting a stock manifold, I would suggest looking into an edelbrock IM. If you are reworking the head, take a look at going 0.5 to 1mm oversize on the valves.

Add either a del sol vtec dual core radiator or an aftermarket unit like a fluidyne.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Cool. Some one else has plans for a y7 too. Im with Kommon, id at least go 9.5:1 on the compression. If anything just run a thicker head gasket. Then if you ever wanted slightly higher compression just change the gakset.

Matt

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well... unfortunatly its already in the shop now.... and the srp pistons are going in.... i got the pistons for z6 wich works out to be 9.2:1 and the helms manual says my civic is 9.4:1... i really didn't wanna drop my comp any...

·
Registered
478 Posts
u wont even notice a change at all for .2 point of compression.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
dracos2001 said:
then why is the Z6 dome volume -11.0, and the y7 dome volume -12.4??
Don't know dude. There could be other factors but just looking at all the basics it seems a bit odd. Maybe they factored in a thicker headgasket for the Z6 or something, who knows.

But the info I use comes from an Advanced Engine Management chart which so far has proved pretty reliable and is pretty detailed.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i wonder if the z6 srp pistons are a dome volume of -11?? i didn't want to have a straight 9:1 comp ratio...

·
Registered
478 Posts
dracos2001 said:
well, i wonder if the z6 srp pistons are a dome volume of -11?? i didn't want to have a straight 9:1 comp ratio...
why?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
where do you guys get that z6 and y7 heads have the same CC, thats not true at all, the z6 head is 34.60cc and the y7 is 32.8cc's the pistons, though they have the same compression height of 30mm's they still have a different dish volume, the z6s are -10.10cc's and the y7s are -7.4cc's
with a y7 block and head and z6 pistons u will have right at about 9:1 from my calculations

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
kommon_sense said:
y8 is 32.8cc, not the y7. y7 is the same as the z6.
then that makes it even lower into the 8.7:1 range, i always thought the y7 and y8 had the same cc bc of them being the same casting, that is weird humm :confused

btw thats gonna be a heliffied low compression motor, you are not going to like it at all i doubt

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
right thats what i ment to type ughh i still would like to see pics or somekinda factual confirmation though

·
Registered
478 Posts
the easiest example: per the compression ratio calculator information we have ALL been using for years...

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

32.8 for ALL D16y series heads. It makes no logical sence that honda would change them for the simple fact that they made them all the same casting in 1996 in order to save costs from the OLLLLLD 88-95 differing designs. (non vtec, vtec, vtec-e)

If you have other information kommon, please bring it forth as it would be huge news if someone proved this otherwise.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
4dr said:
the easiest example: per the compression ratio calculator information we have ALL been using for years...

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

32.8 for ALL D16y series heads. It makes no logical sence that honda would change them for the simple fact that they made them all the same casting in 1996 in order to save costs from the OLLLLLD 88-95 differing designs. (non vtec, vtec, vtec-e)

If you have other information kommon, please bring it forth as it would be huge news if someone proved this otherwise.
The proof is in turning the heads over & looking at them. The Y8 is the only D-series with the quench pads, the Y7 doesn't have them neither does the Z6 as we all know. therefore the Y-castings ARE different. I work in the auto field, trust me they do things that don't make sense on a regular basis. They have their reasons I'm sure, but don't always bother to share them. The Y5 chamber supposedly has the same cc's as the Y8 but if you look at the chamber it has a different shape for high-swirl.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts