Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does going all motor affect your emissions? like say i put in cams/valve springs/retainers/intake manifold/ etc.. would that affect my emissions? i live in california btw.

·
Registered
222 Posts
TodaTeg said:
Yes they will affect emissions....

Just a side note, no reason for retiners or the manifold...
i didn't get that... wut do u mean no reason for the retainers or manifold? no need to use them for N/A?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Tranzilla said:
Does going all motor affect your emissions? like say i put in cams/valve springs/retainers/intake manifold/ etc.. would that affect my emissions? i live in california btw.
They do make 50 state legal performance parts.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I love the TODA teg tips LOL:p

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Re: n/a affect emissions?

infinatenexus said:
They do make 50 state legal performance parts.
Not many. Not the good/best stuff usually. Everything seems to be 49 state legal.

/lives in California and _HATES_ C.A.R.B and their god damn smog rules

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So will this setup own me on emissions in CA?

Toda Spec B Cams
Toda Valve Springs
Toda Timing Belt
Toda Head Gasket
Hondata S200

·
Registered
542 Posts
Tranzilla said:
So will this setup own me on emissions in CA?

Toda Spec B Cams
Toda Valve Springs
Toda Timing Belt
Toda Head Gasket
Hondata S200
Depends on tunning. I have seen a Skunk2 setup(cams&cam gears) on a GSR pass the sniffer at my school. With the parts you just just listed you should pass the visual as long as you have your complete timming cover on your motor.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
CivicDragon916 said:
i didn't get that... wut do u mean no reason for the retainers or manifold? no need to use them for N/A?
Retainers will do nothing for you, excpet make you spend money when it is not needed...Retainers are only good if you are revving above 10K and/or running solo1 races...

The manifold you will not see much of a difference, you want to improve your manifold, have your stock one ported and honed and it will make better gains then an aftermarket one....

Just trying to help you out on not spending money on unneded items and also trying to get the most from your money...I guess that does not mean anything to Defi4nce....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i can get it tuned to pass smog testing when the time comes, and tune it back to how i want it b4 after?

Sorry, just dont wanna run into any fines/fix it tickets anymore.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
sol_ryda said:
Depends on tunning. I have seen a Skunk2 setup(cams&cam gears) on a GSR pass the sniffer at my school. With the parts you just just listed you should pass the visual as long as you have your complete timming cover on your motor.
I have never heard of anything like this especailly in cali...but hey it could be possible....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Tranzilla said:
So i can get it tuned to pass smog testing when the time comes, and tune it back to how i want it b4 after?

Sorry, just dont wanna run into any fines/fix it tickets anymore.
To tune it to pass smog would be expensive( i would think) and then to jsut retune it again would be more money...seems like way to much trouble just to pass smog....

·
Registered
542 Posts
TodaTeg said:
I have never heard of anything like this especailly in cali...but hey it could be possible....
There is a smog ref on my school's campus. A local street racer in my area got busted for having a non CARB intake and exhaust and was told to go see a smog ref to have his car smogged. He put the stock header and intake back on his car but left the Skunk2 setup on the car. I do not know what settings he used, but I do know that he passed visual and the sniffer.(saw it with my own eyes, so I know it is possible)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
sol_ryda said:
There is a smog ref on my school's campus. A local street racer in my area got busted for having a non CARB intake and exhaust and was told to go see a smog ref to have his car smogged. He put the stock header and intake back on his car but left the Skunk2 setup on the car. I do not know what settings he used, but I do know that he passed visual and the sniffer.(saw it with my own eyes, so I know it is possible)
I know when i went to get my car deq'd, they did not use a sniffer they pluged into my ecu and that told them everything they need to know, this could also be the case...and also your school might not have such a senstive sniffer and updated sniffer as the emissions places would, i am not saying it is any different, just a thought...

Also the kid may have not had anything cam wise at all, unless you crack that valve cover...

I am simply saying it is possible to pass emissions, but not likely with that set up, and if you could pass them with tuning, that is alot of money spent in tuning to simply pass a law...

·
Registered
542 Posts
TodaTeg said:
I know when i went to get my car deq'd, they did not use a sniffer they pluged into my ecu and that told them everything they need to know, this could also be the case...and also your school might not have such a senstive sniffer and updated sniffer as the emissions places would, i am not saying it is any different, just a thought...

Also the kid may have not had anything cam wise at all, unless you crack that valve cover...

I am simply saying it is possible to pass emissions, but not likely with that set up, and if you could pass them with tuning, that is alot of money spent in tuning to simply pass a law...
I feel what you are saying on the money&tunning issue, no debate there. I have no idea what the kid paid for tunning or if infact he did it himself with some friends. However I can guarentee that he passed with a Skunk2 setup plane and simple. And my school doesn't just have some ol' beat up smog station, it's a Califonia Referee station. Like I said earlier I seen it with my own eye's and I know what the kid has for his setup. I know the guy that installed the parts on his car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts