Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup everyone! Just found this great website... so far its looking great, and huge. But not to make my first post useless, I wanted to know what are my chioces to have a civic running fast ETs? What chassis, engine, turbo, etc... My goal is to be running mid 10s...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
First of all welcome!

10 second ET's? I hope you have a money tree in your backyard. I hate to come off rude about it but unless you have some deep pockets 10's wont happen. As for a good chassis I would reccomend a 92 CX, one of Honda's lightest Civics, already pre-wired for vtec and looks good. As for engine it really depends on which route your going. If youre going turbo I'd say the b18b would be your best choice. This engine is out of an acura integra LS. DOHC non-VTEC, has some nice torque and the compression ratio is ideal and stock internals are fairly strong. You'd probally want a T3/T4 ball-bearing turbo, along with a front mount intercooler. Then you'd have to upgrade your fuel pressure regulator, injectors, pump, etc. Along with your ignition system and your ECU. If you want to stay N/A get the b18c5 and start doing some internal/ecu upgrades. Toda cams, port and polish, hondata, etc, etc. The possiblites are practically endless.

·
Registered
396 Posts
welcome to the forum man. like hybrid said, you won't make 10's. with lots of time and money, it's possible, but i think 12-13's are a better (more realistic) goal. as for possible chassis/engine combinations, do some research and you'll find more options than you can count. good luck man.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Negative (?)... I thought the CX was VTEC-less and the VX was the one prewired.. correct me if I'm wrong though..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was thinking too that 10s might be a BIT out of reach a first, but curious how uch are we talking about? I was thinking an H22 would do it with lots of boost? But then I heard it might make you have understeer...:(

Anyways thanks for the response!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome to board.

10 second civic are most common for drag civic only, which isn't streetable. I hope you have a good start with your civic. The most common goal is 12-13 second. Have fun with your project.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
understeer....if ur runnin at the 1/4 mile track traction would be the main concern, understeer is more of a handling issue and i wouldnt build a 10sec civ for road racing. Good luck with ur project.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw this video of this guy running 10s with his Civic with full interior and it was street legal:confused:, I could get you the video if you want...

ah, im so discouraged now...:(

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
well like they said, its not impossible to run 10s, itll just cost u thousands of dollars and alot of time to do the work and learn waht to do so u do it right the first time. I know a guy in the turbo forum has a hatch that runs 11s. theres a vid of it in the turbo forum.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Primax said:
well like they said, its not impossible to run 10s, itll just cost u thousands of dollars and alot of time to do the work and learn waht to do so u do it right the first time. I know a guy in the turbo forum has a hatch that runs 11s. theres a vid of it in the turbo forum.
Thanks man. By the way I've got plenty of time to learn... I won't be able get my learners yet for a good year...:p

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Hondan00b said:
I saw this video of this guy running 10s with his Civic with full interior and it was street legal:confused:, I could get you the video if you want...
ah, im so discouraged now...:(
No, don't be discouraged! I suspect you don't realize how ridiculously fast 10-sec is. A car that runs 12-sec flat is VERY fast, good enough to destroy basically any exotic supercar out there, even 1/4-million dollar ones. Nothing to scoff at, so don't get csught up in the "Fast & Furious" fad of wanne-bes who think they just have to have a 10-sec car. Most V8 hogs even require race-prepping to get that.

See, here's where you must discern the difference between the word "STREET LEGAL" and "STREETABLE". If it has a windshield, headlights and taillights, it's pretty much legal, but if that's all it's got could you tolerate driving it all day, every day? And as mentioned before, suspension plays a big factor in your handling ability on the street, but a suspension setup for drag racing is quite different and would not be good for daily use.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So is an H22 a good potential engine for it? Turboing the shit out of it?(to a reasonable level) what would that get me?

And as far as street legal goes... If your still on a (gas station filled) high octane gas, what is there that makes it not street legal?

Im definetly going to have another car for daily driving, so im not looking at this as a everyday car.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
if it's not your daily driver and you're got hockloads of money, i'd say it's feasible to build yourself a 10sec dragster. . . just make sure you also buy a truck and trailer to tow it to places. the fastest fwd car in the world (aem civic, am i correct?) is powered by a h23

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
A 5g hatch with a fully built H22 and turbo can break the 10s, I saw one in Turbo magazine the JG did. That was a few years ago too, but it was stripped, Lexan windows, icewater intercooler, big turbo, no dash, one Kevlar seat...you get the idea. No chance you're going to go 10's on pump fuel though in a small-displacement engine on tons o' boost.

Hey just buy a 4g Civic as a daily beater for a grand, then put all the money into your 10-sec project.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then how come its been done? I saw a video of this guy running 10s with his hatch full interior street legal daily driven...

Just say;

Yes, its possible to hit it.

No, forget it you *** and wake up.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Hondan00b said:
Then how come its been done? I saw a video of this guy running 10s with his hatch full interior street legal daily driven...

Just say;

Yes, its possible to hit it.

No, forget it you *** and wake up.

yes, it's possible to hit it. there are 10 second daily driven civics around, but not many. it takes a lot of time, and a lot of money to build one. most people don't have that kind of extra cash lying around. but if you do, then the answer to your question is yes, it's possible.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hondan00b.. for your sig...

i'm no expert and don't claim to know a whole lot either, but you still have a lot to learn Hondan00b...

peace.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
anfrey said:
i'm no expert and don't claim to know a whole lot either, but you still have a lot to learn Hondan00b...
yup, everybody has stuff to learn, don't worry about it...and yeah a 10-sec civic is possible and don't let people tell you it's not, it's good to set high goals....now go reach for that goal!!!:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.