Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning up your PC from beginning to end. Improve your computers overall performance.Some Steps may not apply if your not running Windows XP, leave me a note or message if you need specifics for your windows operating system. Basically with older Windows versions you will not change to Classic Start Menu. And with Windows 2000 there is not a msconfig utility.

Follow these steps exactly!!!!

Before we start use right mouse click on your START button and select Properties, I want you to select Windows Classic Start Menu and hit apply. This will make my instructions easier to follow.

Ok now we are going to disable your computers System Restore feature.(Adware/Spyware/Viruses have a way of reduplicating themselves by use of this feature even though you removed them with a Spyware Scanner.) To do this find your "My Computer"� icon on your desktop and Right Mouse Click it and select Properties, next select the System Restore tab and make sure to select Turn Off System Restore.

Next, we are going to disable some start up items that you don't need. Go to Start > select Run, and type msconfig and hit ok. Once System Configuration Utility is open, select the Start Up tab. Now pay close attention to the list and the Command section. I want you to go down the list turn off stuff that you normally do not need to have running at start-up.

For Example uncheck: MS Office and Works, Adobe Acrobat, Justsched, All Instant Messenger Programs, dumprep, Sound Mon, (Kazaa, Imesh, Limewire, Win MX crap) , AOL crap, Empty Spaces with NO Names�, names with RANDOM Jarbled letters, Startup printer consoles, etc. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR ANTI-VIRUS or FIREWALL STUFF here. Hit Apply, and ReStart your computer.

Now we need to go get a few Freebie Programs:
Get Ad-Aware SE here:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

If you've got no AntiVirus Software or an Out of Date one, go get this Free one by

AVG. Just install it, update and USE IT. Scroll down and click the "Download Free Version" link.
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

OK, now we gonna start cleaning stuff up. Open and run your Ad-Aware Software,

Update it, and set it to do a Full System Scan.

Once Scan has finished, Select all objects, and remove them. After everything is Deleted/Quarantined, Reboot your computer and repeat the Ad-Aware scans and rebooting process until Ad-Aware comes back with 0 (zero) numbers of adware. This will typically take 3 scans and reboots. Now you are finished with Ad-Aware.

Virus Clean-up:

One thing a lot of people tell me is "I doubt it's a virus, I have (Brand Name Antivirus)" thing is, most people are either not up to date with their Antivirus subscriptions (which is like not having any protection), have their Antivirus updates turned off or disabled, or they have gotten a virus that has actually disabled their AntiVirus software and don't even know it.

Ok I know this sounds crazy but I want you to now disable or turn off your installed version of whatever Anti-Virus program you are running. Then I want you to go to one of these two websites:
http://www.bitdefender.com
or
http://www.kaspersky.com
Both have online scanners that not only detect but also remove any malicious software.

Now that you have gone through these steps your PC should be Starting up faster, Multi Tasking Faster, and Gaming better. Now, you need to go back and turn back on the System Restore, and Windows XP will create a new Clean Restore Point. And also remember to reenable your Anti-Virus Software.

One more thing I recommend is get ALL of the available updates from Microsoft's Website. Having all the updates insures you have CLOSED a lot of security holes and fixed bugs Windows has. Make sure to reboot afterwards.

If at this point your computer doesn't seem to be running better you probably need a More Extensive Maintenance and Diagnostic's done on your machine, and I would recommend taking it to a very reputable PC repair Shop to have a Windows Reload and Hardware Diagnostic's done. Or if you know your way around computers, you can do-it-yourself.

I hope this helps a lot of you. You should probably do these steps about 4 or more times a year. Especially if several people use your PC and frequent the internet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt like doing a write-up in case folks didn't know what to do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow this got Sticky'd I'm honored.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts