Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the N1 muffler sound really tin canish like some other mufflers, i heard it isnt that bad for a muffler what do you guys think?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
???

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cmon somebodys gotta have some info, please help me out

·
Retired *********
4,663 Posts
Are you talking about the full cat back system, or just the muffler? I have never heard one myself, but some of the guys in the Si/SiR forum have the A'PEXi N1 cat back exhaust. Thay say it sounds good, but it is loud.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the muffler

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anybody else like it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My cousin has the Tanabe cat-back with an N1 muffler. Nice power, but the noise is pretty bad on long drives (gives everybody in the car a headache.) He also has to watch out for speed-bumps.

A coworker has the Evo from GReddy in his Si, and in my opinion, that one is a better all-around exhaust for the street. Not as much power as the N1, but more discreet, and since it's tucked-in, not need to worry about speed-bumps. Good sound too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its loud but I guess thats the tradeoff for good flow. Just add another resonator in and you will be very happy.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
If it's too loud, use the silencer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i dont think its loud at all. really i think it is just right for the exhaust. it sounds good, and looks good and its better flow (60mm) then others.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
The universal naturally aspirated N1 canister matched up to custom 2 1/4" mild steel exhaust piping (no fancy mandrel bends) on a bone stock D16Y4 SOHC is very rumbly down low. Not to my liking. Inside the car, it actually gets quieter the higher the engine spins & the faster you go. It has a little bit of rotary rasp in it too. As for those Super Silencer slip in doowackies, they cost about one third the cost of the universal muffler.

Id go for a Walker Ultra Flow or es Oval muffler instead. Less than half the cost & performance is the same. If you need a brand name N1 style canister, then HKS's Hiper muffler costs less than A'PEX's N1 & is constructed better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like crap on the Civic R. Prob will sound like crap on a lude also. Gives that nice raspy weed eater sound that I hate so much when revved and too much resonance at low speed. Helps to leave the stock resonator in the B pipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OBX

Hey,
I actually looked @ the N1 exhaust a while ago, but opted for something different because just about everyone I talked to said that it was loud. Though I really love to hear the exhaust system, I'm also an audiophile and love to just hear the music.
Anyway, I ended up putting on a axle-back setup from testpipe.com, and am really happy with it. It has the OBX B3 Bomber Racing Muffler on it, w/ adjustable silencer. I havn't tried it much w/ the silencer on, but when I first started the car up I was VERY impressed. It doesn't have the 'ricer boy' sound that some of the other systems I've heard go down the street do. OBX (http://www.obxracingsports.com) also has a full system for $450, if anyone's tried it out, I'd love to hear how it sounds/runs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
exhausts on dohc's seem to be louder than sohc's. i have the tanabe rm and it's loud on my car, but we put it on my friends 00 ex coupe and it's a little quieter. not too loud, but enough that you can hear it.

the reason the n1 style mufflers are loud because of the design. they are small and don't have much sound absorption material inside compared to the oval mufflers such as the comptech. chambered designs would quiet it doen more, too. i suggest putting a resonator in the system if you get these style mufflers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts