Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys... hopin you can lend a hand here. i've finally decided what i want to do with my car and i have a couple questions.

i've got an 88 rex dx, with the d15b2... instead of doing a b series swap, i've decided to make a mini-me setup by keeping my existing block and doing a transplant on the head. gonna go with a d16a6 from my local yard and have it rebuilt.

here's the questions...

1. what other parts do i need to get from the yard? my car's currently dpfi.

2. when rebuilding the head, what parts should i have replaced? i'm guessing a new cam (from who?), but from there i have no clue.

3. does anyone make a better piston for the d15b2 block? i want decent compression, but i want to remain on pump gas without problems.

4. what are your opinions on msd's sci system? is it worth picking up, or is it a waste?

5. would a daily driven car benefit from an oil cooler?

thanks for your patience guys, i know it's a lot of questions but i definately appreciate your time and help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I haven't done any swaps, but i've read alot on d series swap's. The mini me sound like a really good, cheap, and easy swap for a newbie mech. . Mpfi swap is good too if u haven't done it already? For mini me you might want to consider a mpfi swap or get a fuel management system, to increase fuel when vtec kicks in. Piston's I would rec. using stock cause of the high cr on mini me. If any thing lower comp. pistons. Haven't tryed oil cooler and i hear ignition r only needed on fi motors.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1. what other parts do i need to get from the yard? my car's currently dpfi.

Am I mistaken or is the A6 Intake manifold MPFI? Or you could get a y8 IM, but i dont know about wiring.
You may also need to use the a6 timing belt.

2. when rebuilding the head, what parts should i have replaced? i'm guessing a new cam (from who?), but from there i have no clue.

http://www.hadamotorsport.com/D16camshafts.htm

check if the head is warped, maybe have it machined.

3. does anyone make a better piston for the d15b2 block? i want decent compression, but i want to remain on pump gas without problems.

Search the forum and find that piston page that guy made, shows compression height, bore, and dome/dish for most/all dseries pistons...nevermind http://www.heeltoeauto.com/dseries/dseries1.html

4. what are your opinions on msd's sci system? is it worth picking up, or is it a waste?

didn't Bisi run stock ignition on his Dseries and Fseries engines? Doesnt that msd system cost around 300 bucks?

5. would a daily driven car benefit from an oil cooler?

??? dont know??? I know my 86 corolla gt-s with a 4A-GE has one though.

D-series info
http://superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129124

For mini me you might want to consider a mpfi swap or get a fuel management system, to increase fuel when vtec kicks in
a6 doesn't have vtec, and i believe a6 injectors are 240cc

Try to get a hold of a crx Si tranny, or a civic ex tranny (92-00)

Please correct me if i am wrong

1 - 4 of 4 Posts