Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. I have a question I need to ask any lawyers or anyone who might know the answer to this question. I was searching craigslist to find anyone with frequent flyer miles or travel vouchers that I could use to fly out to California for New Years. One person replied and said that I could use his United Miles, sounded all good and dandy. I told him thats what I would like to do and he said he would charge me $300 to do it, which is pretty acceptable given the time of year. So, i give him my travel dates and info and within minutes, I get a forwarded email from United with my travel tickets and itinerary. Awesome. So now he asks for the payment which is fine i guess but he asks me to send it Western Union (extremely shakey to me) and not via paypal. Western Union is full of scams and I just dont trust it so I ask if i could send him the money via paypal so i know its secure, but he wont, he keeps asking for Western Union, and its an additional $30 to send it Western Union anyway. I'm just real suspicious of this transaction and the email that he is responding from is [email protected] and the name thats associated with it is Hasdfzxv Asdfweafasv?!?!?! Its just too weird. I sent him an email asking if he could refund tickets and i'll just pay the cancellation fee and he said he could not do it. I hate to be a jackass, but rather than get scammed $300, am i legally obligated to pay him????

-Thanks

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Ring United and give them the booking details if it's legit then do it.
But I'd be opening an account with £300's in it and give him that details or even better pay with credit card because you have massive come backs (legally) with credit cards because the creditor is liable in a sense as a 3rd party so if he does load up your card you contact your card company and they there legal department take over and chase them + reimburse your card.
I had it twice. One was a company that took my payment for some coilovers and went bust and another Internet transaction where the parts never turned up so i rang my card company they asked for as much evidence (copy of emails receipts etc) and reimbursed me same day. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's understood. However, i do not have a credit card...only debit. I just really hate Western Union transaction because once its done, its done. It cannot be traced back that email name is very suspicious to me.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
This sounds really sketchy. Just send your checking account number to a Nigerian prince so he can forward you ten million dollars. That way, you can afford the airline ticket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts