Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am soon to be buying a 1991 dx hatch, i know i have to do a dpfi to mpfi conversion for swaps

well i plan on swapping in a obd1 d15b vtec sohc engine

i was gonna use rywire for 300 dollars they will convert it and add the vtec wires and everything, but what i dont understand is why can i not just use this engiens hranees and an obd1 ecu . p28? and just plug and play it without doign teh swap. isnt the swap only needed if u use an obd0 ecu? someone clarify this for me

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Because, the engine harness plugs into the chassis harness(main harness) and they are different plugs. different wires/etc. You could switch out your chassis harness for a for an OBD1 chassis harness to run with a p28 but it would be about 3 times harder then what you are doing now, and the OBD1 p28 plugs are different then the OBD0 ecu plugs.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
98civcEK said:
the easiets thing to do if you don't want to pay alot of money is to make sure the motors comes with the complete wiring harness. then you don't even have to deal with it.
so if it comes with teh complete harness what do i do then? just wire it up? cuz its an obd1 engien going into obd0 car but i want to run an obd1 ecu so do i have to switch chassis harness' or how do i bypass that

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
hondapride59 said:
so if it comes with teh complete harness what do i do then? just wire it up? cuz its an obd1 engien going into obd0 car but i want to run an obd1 ecu so do i have to switch chassis harness' or how do i bypass that
if it comes with the engine harness it will plug directly into the ecu and you don't have to wore for vtec since it will already be there....unless your current one is a two piece design you have no worries.

if i'm wrong its cause i'm using my 98 as a referrence

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
98civcEK said:
if it comes with the engine harness it will plug directly into the ecu and you don't have to wore for vtec since it will already be there....unless your current one is a two piece design you have no worries.

if i'm wrong its cause i'm using my 98 as a referrence

can anyone else verify that as long as i have the wiring harness and a obd1 ecu it will be fine without any other wiring needed?

but if i do then someone just explain to me what i need

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alrigth after searching various forums for the last hour or so i finally foudn what i think i needed to know

when i get the d15b i found that i could use the injector sub harness or take of the injector part and wire it into my dx harness...then run teh vtec wires and what not...now the prt i didnt understand was the obd0-obd1 conversion haress

but i think i do now...basically the engine is wired in obd0 but at the end it gets converted to obd1 before plugging into the ecu? so if i do this i dont need to run obd0 distributor rigth cuz i am actually using an obd1 ecu?

wow, this is teh most i have been confused but i am finally understnding it

now does anyone knwo fo any great write ups for dpfi-mpfi with picture and great detail?

i may just wire everythign up early so that when i buy the motor it is ready to be installed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts