Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice on PS-became need a new MOBO

Well, I posted before about my computers PS and asked for suggestions. Now the time has come but with a twist. My computer shit the bed. I was fucking around with it (switching CPU and messing with Bios and unplugging shit) and now it don't turn on. I think it is either the PS, Mobo, or Bios Chip. I test the PS with a meter and the only voltage I got out was from a purple wire (3V). The rest were dead, I don't know if this is right or not, but fuck it.

This sux, but is a good thing because I wanted to build another computer (or ask for parts from you guys and then put it together..lol). So here is my criteria,

I want to order a power supply really soon (by tomorrow night at the latest 1/25/05), but this power supply I want needs to run 2 drives(DVD+RW and CDRW), 1 or 2 HD (maybe Sata in the future), my video card 6600GT and a floppy.

So I guess here is what I need ask :

1) It has to run an AMD based board (what I currently have and will probably get in the future).
2) Have enough power for the new 64bit boards in case I end up getting one in the near future.
3) be under $100 bux.

Side note, I can care less about noise and I like pretty things (Blue light,see through, etc).

Thanks in advance and don't mind me, I know little about computers so if things dont' sound right. Sorry :(

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Well the only wire thats live is the 3V one because that sustains your bios while the computer is plugged in. If you unplug it the battery is sustained using the watch battery you can see on the board. In order to get the yellow wire +12v and red +5v you will need the power supply to be turned on via MB. So to me it sounds like your motherboard is the issue

edit: Also to answer on power supplies i would just pick up an antec supply. They have seemed to be pretty solid in my work machines. Anyways here is the one i use at home (running two cd rom drives, 2 hard disks, athlon XP processor)

Hope the link works if not ill find another link

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3024046/search=antec%2520350

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. So the motherboard is fucked. Do you think it's the bios, I used a beta version(stupid me) going throught the AWD flash and that's when shit got crazy. The reason I did this is because windows wouldn't load when I went back to the original CPU. It would post and go through everything and then when you are suppose to see the windows logo, I got nothing. Then in a quick flash I would see a blue screen, but wasn't able to read it cause it would flash so fast. I tried everything and then finally snapped and tried the bios flash.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I kind of doubt its the bios, You have a really questionable situation, it is possible it is your power supply, however i would put a larger chance on a bad MB.

If you have a small piece of wire you can test your power supply with a voltmeter. What you need to do is short the green wire to a black wire(on the MB connector) and then you can test for 12V between yellow and black. If that works its the MB

Also windows has a driver in it for the cpu, sometimes changing the cpu results in the need to reinstall windows. So there is a chance that was your original issue.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Well as long as the MB works go for it. Just be prepared to return that one in case its faulty since the brand isnt reputable enough to be sure

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pissed, your thing works, green wire to black to short and then you hear the PS power up. I checked the pins and I am getting the +12V on yellow and 3.4V on Orange, etc.

So I guess this turns into a what MOBO would you recommend to get this bitch up and running that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
00BLACKSI said:
Pissed, your thing works, green wire to black to short and then you hear the PS power up. I checked the pins and I am getting the +12V on yellow and 3.4V on Orange, etc.

So I guess this turns into a what MOBO would you recommend to get this bitch up and running that won't break the bank?

See i know my shit ;)

Anyways the MB you showed me is fine. Id recommend MSI if you can pull 100 bucks, but the one you posted will work. Like i said tho, be prepared to return it if it fails.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont' you hate being right. So do you think it's the BIOS chip? I read somewhere that sometimes the bios has to get reprogrammed.

But anyways, Do you think I can find a decent deal to get this 1800 up and running and give it to the wifey. Then I am going to build myself a new one. I will probably go 64bit since it is supposivley the way of the future.

On a side note oh great one, how could you tell if a CPU is dead?

P.S. I tried to give joo a rep cookie but I have to spread it around. I will catch you on the rebound!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts