Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I have a 90 civic hatch that rides like a farm wagon, every bump it bangs something fierce. I have cheap coilpovers on it right nowwith stock struts. I put those on because when I went to 16 inch wheels the rear wheels were hitting the lip around the wheel well. I had intrax lowering springs on before that and the car didn't ride good with those either.My car has all polyurethatne bushings as well. So I am looking a Tokico HP's with another set of lowering srings. This is an every day driver not a slalom racer and just want to smooth the ride out. Got some advice or opinions for me cause I need it, someone help me out here.
Thanks for the advice in advance.
Later
Jay

· Registered
12 Posts
here's an unpopular answer!

Ride quality ususally suffers as you lower and stiffen your suspension. In fact go too low or too stiff and your handling can actually get worse, especially on rough roads or under real hard driving when you run out of suspension travel.

If you're willing to do the work your self you have more flexibility to try different combos. For the simplest solution consider going back to OEM springs with a quality adjustable shock like Koni or Tokico. You can pick up the spings cheap (or even free) from someone else who just upgraded or a salvage yard. With the better shock you'll find out you can have a great ride and far better control on rough surfaces. If you want better handling to you can upgrade your tires and add swaybars. If you still want more then you can upgrade to a coilover system like Ground Control offers - then you'll have a huge choice in spring rates using the Eibach ERS system.

As soon as you go back to lowering springs you're going to compromise ride comfort to get that lowered look we all like so much.

If you want it all then you'll have to shell out the big bucks for a fully adjustable coilover system and camber kits. I'd recommend something with shortened shock housings (example Progress coilovers) so you can lower the car without sacrificing as much suspension travel. Besides the cost you should also consider that with all the tuning cpabailities you'll have you'll need to spend quite a bit of time, a find a willing alignment shop, to dial it all in right.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a camber kit and sway and strut tower bars. I do want the car to be lower and I don't expect it to ride smooth like stock, but I don't want it to bang on every little bump. It sounds like I bend the rim on any average size bump. Right now it's just ridiculous, so any other suggestions other than stock, because I do want it lowered and don't mind giving up some ride for the look. I do the work myself.
Thanks Stealth
Later
Jay

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Well how low do you want it to be? Our suggestions depend on that.

· Registered
2,988 Posts
jayvic said:
I don't want it to be slammed. Just like and 1.75 to 2 inches.
You may be happy with Neuspeed sports then. My suspension rides soooooooooooo damn smooth, just not low enough for me. I'm going to wank it and frop Ground Controls in (what I am leaning towards). 2 finger gap in front 1 in the back and a hell of a ride!!!!!!

· Registered
1,017 Posts
You could look into Neuspeed sports. That is what I used to have on my integra. They drop it down 1.7 inches in the front and 1.5 in the back. You could also look into Eibach Sportlines. They are a little lower then the sports. Neuspeed Race springs drop you somewhere around 2 inches. Get some good shocks to go with your springs and I am sure your ride will improve.

By the way, what are the spring rates for you coilovers you have on their right now?

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure, but I do know that they are coming out! Thanks for the input guys, feel free to give me more suggestions, because I am more of a motor guy and haven't dealt with suspension stuff too much.
Later
Jay

· Registered
1,017 Posts
If they were cheap like you said earlier then they probably have really high spring rates which is the main cause for your bumpy ride.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
LX98Civic said:

Fixed it for ya ;)

They are Bilstein HD's. Suppose to be up there with Koni Yellows :)
That's a lot better. It was hurting my eyes.

· Registered
2,988 Posts
slopesurfer17 said:
yeha ive got almost the exact same problem. i have nuespeed coilovers but i really need new shock/struts. wat kind shoudl i get that are reasonably priced but will still improve my ride? (it is very terriable)
You have Neuspeed springs, you mean?
The Neuspeed coilovers are full coilovers if I am thinking right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.