Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a bad time with my B18C5 for the last 2 months. Firstly, the car started throwing CELs 6 to 7 blinks. I changed my plugs and the problem started to lightened becoming 3 blinks during driving. So I got the expertise of some forumers and realised that I had to adjust my TPS which was out of spec. I adjusted it to 0.45V and played with the idle screw to try and also solve a fluctuating rev at idle. Checked the IACV too. IACV was well. CEL stopped throwing codes. But during the 6 to 7 blinking days, there started to have oil leaks at the head gasket just above the engine block number. I just spoke to a friend and he tells me its most likely a blown head gasket. The problem I face now is upon light throttle and upon throttle release at almost any speed and RPM, the car jerks and hesitates. I have no problem at idle though. Also the power has dropped tremendously since I got the car from the previous owner. What should I do now? I don't wish to waste money doing the wrong stuff and get the car fixed once and for all! Please advise me.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
well first off you can change the head gasket then to a compression and leak down test. I would also do a full tune up if you have not allready.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Generally speaking, if a headgasket blows then it will blow around a cylinder because that is where the pressure is, so you get coolant and/or oil mixing. You really shouldn't see oil leaking on the outside of the block due to a blown head gasket. Every time I've seen someone complain of oil leaking outside the block, it was always coming from a higher source and they just saw where it was pooling. So look at the oil to identify exactly where it is coming from.

You can drain the oil or look at the coolant to see if you have any coolant/oil mixing. You can also do a compression or leakdown test to help determine if a headgasket is blown.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kommon_sense said:
Generally speaking, if a headgasket blows then it will blow around a cylinder because that is where the pressure is, so you get coolant and/or oil mixing. You really shouldn't see oil leaking on the outside of the block due to a blown head gasket. Every time I've seen someone complain of oil leaking outside the block, it was always coming from a higher source and they just saw where it was pooling. So look at the oil to identify exactly where it is coming from.

You can drain the oil or look at the coolant to see if you have any coolant/oil mixing. You can also do a compression or leakdown test to help determine if a headgasket is blown.
I checked and there is no mixture of oil in the coolant and the leak is right there at the headgasket area above the engine code on the block. My friend tells me that a blown head gasket will result in white smoke coming from the exhaust. I do not have any of that. Today I discovered something new, the car will sputter and jerk after I vtec it for 2 gears. The VTEC engages fine, but immediately after that the problem surfaces all the way to my destination. Is this any help to you guys?

·
Registered
908 Posts
You really shouldn't be driving the car hard enough to engage vtec when these things are going on. Especially with CELs.

Again, have a compression test done, and follow it with a leakdown test. This is the only way to get any further in this discussion.

I may sound rude. But it's completely unintentional. Just get it tested and report back.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
kommon_sense said:

This man is correct. I can say with nearly 100% assurance your oil is leaking from the cam seal, running down the head, and collecting on the block. Now, your vtec problem. Check your plugs, and ignition. Usually these hesitation problems are always ignition related. You said you recently replaced the plugs, so the problem may lie with the coil. Of course it could also be the TPS coming back to haunt you as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everything you guys said was right! The leak ain't a blown gasket. It is coming from a higher source which I have yet to trace. Also, I have solved all my problems with a simple switch of petrol. I am now running on Mobil 1 unleaded 98octane fuel. No more CEL no more jerking of any sort. But I do feel a slight loss in power compared to Shell petrol. It seems the previous owner had the car tuned on Mobil 1 petrol and the tuning did not respond well with Shell petrol. Thank you everyone for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.