Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. it's time for a new comp and i need the best brands and stuff.. i been out of the comp thing for a while so i dunno what's the most up to date technology.. so any help would be appreciated..

i'm looking for a:
P4 2ghz
40gb or 80gb hard drive
2gb ram or 1gb
128MB video card or 64mb
dvd player

don't know what kind of motherboard is good.. need at least more than 2 usb ports.. and i think any of the small stuff is important.. but any suggestions to what brand should i get?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
if you can, build your own. But if not, make sure every part is listed (many places will list things seaprately that are embedded into the motherboard).

·
Registered
686 Posts
Since you're in San Diego these might be the best places to get your computer products well it's where i shop.

P4 2.0A Ghz - Retail Box $179, www.chipsandmemory.com
Epox 4G4A+ 4 USB Onboard, Onboard Lan, RAID. $129, Fry's Electronics
ASUS P4B533-V
Western Digital 40/60/80 GB hd $74-119, www.chipsandmemory.com
SONY 16X DVD IDE $49, www.chipsandmemory.com

As for your motherboard, Epox is very reliable and has a lot of good features, you can always go with ASUS though if you'd like.
If you do choose an Epox or Asus motherboard, i'd recommend going with the I845 chipsets because the SIS chipsets blow.

Your video card should be shopped around for, you could try Fry's for their OEM video cards which are located by the motherboards, they cost less because they dont come in a retail box, I'd go with gainward, msi, ati, asus, pny or visiontek.

2GB of ram is a lot, unless you'll be opening all your microsoft office products, photoshop and counterstrike, 512MB - 1GB would be more than suitable, be sure to get 2700 - 3200 ram.

chipsandmemory is located in clairemont off of the 805, i'm sure you know where the frys is.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dizzon said:
Since you're in San Diego these might be the best places to get your computer products well it's where i shop.

ASUS P4B533-V

As for your motherboard, Epox is very reliable and has a lot of good features, you can always go with ASUS though if you'd like.
If you do choose an Epox or Asus motherboard, i'd recommend going with the I845 chipsets because the SIS chipsets blow.

Your video card should be shopped around for, you could try Fry's for their OEM video cards which are located by the motherboards, they cost less because they dont come in a retail box, I'd go with gainward, msi, ati, asus, pny or visiontek.

2GB of ram is a lot, unless you'll be opening all your microsoft office products, photoshop and counterstrike, 512MB - 1GB would be more than suitable, be sure to get 2700 - 3200 ram.

chipsandmemory is located in clairemont off of the 805, i'm sure you know where the frys is.
thanks!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Evolution20 said:
Want to buy me some memory while you're shopping at Chipsandmemory and Fry's?? :D I need DDR memory.
are you a cute sexy girl that has nice long legs and a nice azz?? if not... psh... haha..

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dizzon said:

ASUS P4B533-V

i'm planning to buy the epox 4G4A+ motherboard you suggested.. i found it for $107

im also getting the following:

P4 2.0ghz 478 bus 400mhz retail box $168

512MB PC2100 266mhz $108

(the mother board says pc2100 supported but can it support pc2700 or 3200? i found pc2700 for $153 and 3200 for 164)

ATI Radeon 8500LE 128MB DDR $107

WD EIDE 40GB 7200rpm $74.00

Toshiba 16x dvd rom $41.00

practically all of it except for one item is free shipping from online sites found on www.pricewatch.com and www.newegg.com

the total of it is about $700 or so including all the lil things. This sounds good?

·
Registered
686 Posts
newegg is very reliable and its in LA so you'll get the shipment in less than 3 - 4 days excluding processing time. only thing is just remember to compare the prices with and without shipping locally, i suggested the local places just incase you're in a hurry or something.

The motherboard can support 2100+ ddr ram, all you need to do is take out the switch for one of the jumpers so its enabled. i'm planning to get some 3200 when i find some extra cash not going towards the lude.

Everything looks good, just don't forget the cd-rw and sound cards are always good. :D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
just save money and go AMD, they do better in some of the current benchmarks and my athlon 2000+(1.6ghz) outperforms my gf's new gateway 2.53ghz p4...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
watch techdeals.net. They've post deals they find when, for example, Dell or Gateway have a lot of stackable discounts at any given time.

For instance, 2 weeks ago, I got

2.4A ghz Pentium 4, 533 mhz system bus
256 mb Rambus DRAM (40 nanosecond, faster than most)
40 gig 7200rpm hard drive
Geforce4 MX 440 64mb videocard
Intel pro10/100 PCI ethernet card
on-board sound (I'm swapping in an Audigy)
24x Lite-on CD burner

Not to mention the one year *total* Dell warranty

for $740. :) I tried to beat that by hypothetically building my own from parts. I couldn't do it. Also, the case design has only one fan; a big 120mm low-rotation (quiet) fan in the very back. My Athlon system had 8 fans inside it; it sounded like a B-25 taking off. :p

My last computer was an AMD T-bird 1.2 ghz. It was a good workhorse, but it crashed at least FOUR times a day. :( :( :( My new Dell hasn't crashed ONCE in two weeks. :eek: So I highly recommend building one at Dell once you get some coupon codes from techdeals. :)

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
IntegraTypeRS said:
i'm planning to buy the epox 4G4A+ motherboard you suggested.. i found it for $107

im also getting the following:

P4 2.0ghz 478 bus 400mhz retail box $168

512MB PC2100 266mhz $108

(the mother board says pc2100 supported but can it support pc2700 or 3200? i found pc2700 for $153 and 3200 for 164)

ATI Radeon 8500LE 128MB DDR $107

WD EIDE 40GB 7200rpm $74.00

Toshiba 16x dvd rom $41.00

practically all of it except for one item is free shipping from online sites found on www.pricewatch.com and www.newegg.com

the total of it is about $700 or so including all the lil things. This sounds good?
sounds ok i suppose..i'm not a pentium fan myself...but to each his own...

you can get a 80 gig hard drive for 88 shipped though..keep looking

i'd reccomend getting the ati radeon 9700...or a gf4 ti 4200 (128mb)

ur motherboard may or may not support higher ram..but if it only says 2100..chances are its only 2100

and since your going with pentium..get a board that will support rambus ram..that'll speed everything up ;)

·
Registered
686 Posts
those are 80 gb hard drives with 5400 rpm his is a western digital with 7200 rpm theres a difference.
the radeon 8500 is the card between the gf3 ti500's and the gf4 ti4400 its not a bad card specially for that price.

as for rdr 1066 there are big gains in memory bandwith compared to ddr333, where as rdr 800 isn't cutting it. but if you're comparing it to amd and p4 bandwith they're relatively the same. rambus is slowly gonna fade out of the picture as far as memory goes.

here's the epox 4g4a+ in ddr333

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
Dizzon said:
those are 80 gb hard drives with 5400 rpm his is a western digital with 7200 rpm theres a difference.
the radeon 8500 is the card between the gf3 ti500's and the gf4 ti4400 its not a bad card specially for that price.
i got an ibm deskstar 82.34GB, 7200rpm hard drive for 87.77 shipped to my house

nexthardwareshop.com

dont mess ;)

EDIT: the diff between most 5400 and 7200 drives is so little..the average user wont notice

·
Registered
686 Posts
maybe hard drive prices went up. i base where i get my products on the location i'm getting it from, the cheaper it is and how quickly it'll be shipped to my house without having to pay for extra shipping costs. newegg and chipsandmemory are pretty reliable and close for people in san diego thats why i'd choose them.

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
Dizzon said:
maybe hard drive prices went up. i base where i get my products on the location i'm getting it from, the cheaper it is and how quickly it'll be shipped to my house without having to pay for extra shipping costs. newegg and chipsandmemory are pretty reliable and close for people in san diego thats why i'd choose them.
they sure did...the drive itself was 72...15 shipping :eek:

hmm..wonder if prices will drop again

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Dell sells the WD 120 gig special edition hard drive (7200 rpm, 8 mb buffer) for $142 every so often. Watch techdeals and see when they post it. :) I have that hard drive, it outruns my Seagate cheetah (10,000 rpm) all day long.

And there IS a considerable difference between 7200 RPM and 5400. I bought two old 9 gb 5400 RPM drives for $50 last year, as backup storage/mp3 storage. They were soooo slow, I got rid of em. :p

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
Fulgore243 said:
Dell sells the WD 120 gig special edition hard drive (7200 rpm, 8 mb buffer) for $142 every so often. Watch techdeals and see when they post it. :) I have that hard drive, it outruns my Seagate cheetah (10,000 rpm) all day long.

And there IS a considerable difference between 7200 RPM and 5400. I bought two old 9 gb 5400 RPM drives for $50 last year, as backup storage/mp3 storage. They were soooo slow, I got rid of em. :p
well rpm isn't the only deciding factor :) everyone automatically thinks...oh..7200 it HAS to be faster..when thats not always true

oh well

1 - 20 of 25 Posts