Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's the situation...got a 98 Civic LX and car has started to sound like a jet airplane :lol...well I figured it was just a minor leak and was just gonna patch it up...well turns out that the pipe has rotted out before the resonator so I was thinking I should just get a whole new catback system...who would you recommend and what would you recommend for a quiet catback system? Thanks for the help :tu

My price range that i'm looking for is bout 300-350

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
1hgej1 said:
kteller.com 2.25" stainless exhaust piping.

http://www.kteller.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/23_35_38_192/products_id/137

they have mufflers at kteller.com too, should keep you under $350.

that is a very good recommendation. if you don't really wanna have a kit, you could go with this. http://www.robearracing.com/pd_apexi_world_sport_2_exh.cfm

i know it's a little bit over your price range but it looks almost like stock and isn't loud at all. I don't know about you, but i'm not for one on the whole huge exhaust thing, not really my style. i'm sure you could find this on ebay for cheaper.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Danman1116 said:
Well, here's the situation...got a 98 Civic LX and car has started to sound like a jet airplane :lol...well I figured it was just a minor leak and was just gonna patch it up...well turns out that the pipe has rotted out before the resonator so I was thinking I should just get a whole new catback system...who would you recommend and what would you recommend for a quiet catback system? Thanks for the help :tu

My price range that i'm looking for is bout 300-350
Do you mean the cat is rotted? Just get a hi flow cat, unless you wan't to get an exhaust.

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guest said:
Do you mean the cat is rotted? Just get a hi flow cat, unless you wan't to get an exhaust.
nope, the pipe itself is rotted after the cat and before the resonator so I'm looking to probably just get a catback setup...i'm gonna try to get by with maybe putting some exhaust sealant on and bandage it up and see if that'll work for the time being until I get something new

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
I would recommed not buying a cat back system. Usually shops have to modify the piping to get it to fit just right anyways. Plus, you're paying way too much just for piping and a muffler. Go on eBay, and pick out a decent brand of muffler (I have an OBX universal muffler, not too loud, just deep), and get a shop to custom mandrel bend some steel piping. No need for stainless steel, under good weather condition, steel wont rust for years.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
XLR8 said:
I would recommed not buying a cat back system. Usually shops have to modify the piping to get it to fit just right anyways. Plus, you're paying way too much just for piping and a muffler. Go on eBay, and pick out a decent brand of muffler (I have an OBX universal muffler, not too loud, just deep), and get a shop to custom mandrel bend some steel piping. No need for stainless steel, under good weather condition, steel wont rust for years.
how much would this piping cost?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
XLR8 said:

Have to disagree here... A quality cat-back system is a direct bolt-on... No modification needed. Yes, you can buy individual components and have your own exhaust made and nothing wrong with that provided you buy quality parts. I wouldn't use the OBX even if someone gave it to me.

Also to do the exhaust right. You will need piping, resonator and muffler. You can order most of this from www.kteller.com . However you will have to pick a muffler that will perform and have the sound that you want.

·
Pimpzilla
11,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet deal...appreciate the help guys...thank goodness this is all bolt on and don't have to have a shop weld this up...saving myself probably a good cpl hundred bucks by doin this myself, now I just gotta wait til it warms up a tad (only 5 degrees out now and no way I'm doing it yet :p)

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
When the site comes back up, check with RPM Motoring (www.rpmmotoring.com) that's where I got my Apexi WS catback. Fitment and quality are great, performance and sound are awesome too, not a single complaint about this. It's not loud either. I got mine for $390 shipped for my hatch, but some more popular applications were like $20+ less then mine. That was a while ago but they usually got a sale going.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Apex'i World Sport

I also suggest the Apex'i WS. This is one of the best exhausts I have heard, plus not a huge tip and extremely quiet. I needed a new cat-back after I swapped to the EX engine because my old exhuast bolted directly up to the header minus the cat. I ordered my Carsound cat from Kteller (which they flanged and extended to make it a direct fit) and bought my Apex'i World Sport from Nopi (with a coupon) for $402.97 so it was all a direct bolt-on application. Didn't really feel a difference in power, but I wanted to be legal again and not have an annoying exhaust and this is the perfect setup for that. :clap

·
Registered
496 Posts
For your situation, it sounds like you're not out for performance, you just want a quiet exhaust system. I would recommend going to a local exhaust shop that has a solid reputation. They will be able to suit your needs, and should allow you to listen to what different style mufflers will sound like, and then you can base your choice on that. That's what I would do, because then you know exactly what you're getting, and I'm sure you'll stay under your budget.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i bought the tsudo extreme N-1 full cat-back on ebay for $155.99+$99for shipping........i like it....nice deep tone :D

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i like thermal r&d's pieces.

you may want to give PSI a call, they are in worcester though, dont know how far it is from you... but maybe worth a try

PSI
(508)753-6928
1095A Main Street
Worcester MA 01602

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Have to disagree here... A quality cat-back system is a direct bolt-on... No modification needed. Yes, you can buy individual components and have your own exhaust made and nothing wrong with that provided you buy quality parts. I wouldn't use the OBX even if someone gave it to me.

Also to do the exhaust right. You will need piping, resonator and muffler. You can order most of this from www.kteller.com . However you will have to pick a muffler that will perform and have the sound that you want.
Well I know people who work in muffler shops and they have to modify these exhaust systems all the time. Not to mention if you ever watch shows like Rides, they always say an exhaust system is never just out-of-the-box bolt on. Also, what's wrong with OBX? As far as I know they're made in the same factory as DCSports (read that on H.onda-T.ech), and I've never had a problem with any of their products. I know everyone has their own opinion about products, but it just sounded like you were bashing OBX.

·
Registered
466 Posts
XLR8 said:
Well I know people who work in muffler shops and they have to modify these exhaust systems all the time. Not to mention if you ever watch shows like Rides, they always say an exhaust system is never just out-of-the-box bolt on. Also, what's wrong with OBX? As far as I know they're made in the same factory as DCSports (read that on H.onda-T.ech), and I've never had a problem with any of their products. I know everyone has their own opinion about products, but it just sounded like you were bashing OBX.
A quality exhaust system is just that: QUALITY. You should not need to modify anything, this plus the fact that the larger companies usually dyno tune their exhaust systems for each model of car is why you pay more. If you are learning all of your automotive knowledge from TV, then you need to actually get down and dirty with some actual cars. Also, OBX is a knockoff company which makes knockoff products. If they were in the same factory as DC, then why would DC even exist. They would just sell a crap load more OBX stuff because it's cheap. Research is what costs so much when buying quality parts that are direct fit. My Apex'i WS exhaust was a direct bolt-on with no modifications needed at all.

·
Registered
496 Posts
gmusquiz said:
If they were in the same factory as DC, then why would DC even exist. They would just sell a crap load more OBX stuff because it's cheap.
Why do tylenol and other brand name over the counter drugs still exist? Their generic counterparts use the same formulas and active ingredients, but are much cheaper in price. I'm not saying that DC and OBX are manufactured at the same place. I am saying that it would be possible for them to both be made at the same place and co-exist. I knew a guy that worked at a bottling plant, and they put the exact same product in listerine bottles as the no-name brand bottles. And so what if they're knock offs, in that case you might pay what you get for, if saving a few dollars is more important to you than having a brand name product with a warantee than by all means go for it. I don't see people boy-cotting rota because they make knock off wheels.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts