Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Civic DX with a CAI/ Exhaust & cam gear. My question is what the best degree for running this setup without damaging the motor. I have it now advanced +3 degrees. Don't really feel any gains?!?
Thanks 4 the help in advance.

Rey

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
the best setting is the factory spec until you have a reason to change your timing (ie, upgraded camshaft, forced induction, etc). you currently don't have enough modifications to warrant a camgear timing change. you'll just be wasting your time and money getting on a dyno to mess around with the timing.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
My experince is this..even with stock cams..alittle power can be unlocked..mostly only threw the intake cam..it wont be some night and day difference..but it will make a little bit better power.. I suggest Start your intake at +1..and leave ur exhaust at 0..you'll need a wideband to see if your actually making somewhat of a difference.. but a little food for thought..and something you should..

When degreeing in your cams.. since you haven't clayed your motor rule of thumb is, keep the cam gears within at least 3 degress of each other..E.I. if you advance your intake by +3..do not retard your exhaust by 1 unless you know for sure you wont have a piston to valve or valve to valve contact..its just a small rule of thumb i still people who aren't using a dyno or who haven't clayed their motor keep the gears within 3 degress of each other.

FYI i saw you have a sohc..i suggest goin no more then +1 or 2..even a -1 or -2 might help but stick around there goin more isn't worth blowing ur motor.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I've always heard that -2 deg was a good place to start, but you shouldn't expect much by playing with timing on a stock motor/cam. You are simply shifting your powerband up or down. You don't get the same amount of tuneability as you get with a dohc setup.

And just for clarity, you are talking about cam timing here and not ignition timing correct?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kommon_sense said:
I've always heard that -2 deg was a good place to start, but you shouldn't expect much by playing with timing on a stock motor/cam. You are simply shifting your powerband up or down. You don't get the same amount of tuneability as you get with a dohc setup.

And just for clarity, you are talking about cam timing here and not ignition timing correct?
Yeah, I'm talking about cam timing. Don't really know if retarding (-2) is going help me?!?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
nothing will help until you get on a dyno...but your modifications aren't big enough to spend time on it. just put your timing back to factory spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.