Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a ton of people on here have an AEM CAI, so any of you who have a 96-00 Civic EX (app. 21-414,) can you help me out with a webpage that has specific instructions for removing the bumper, screw locations for stock airbox parts, how to remove, how to install, etc? I can only seem to find install directions for cars that have largely different engines under the hood (i.e. one was for a newer Integra, looks completely different.) Thanks

· Registered
2,988 Posts
I tried looking for you but could not fins anything that was specific on your vehicle.

Anyhow, I was asking the same thing a few weeks back and was told that AEM supply GREAT detailed instructions.....

But, I understand that you would like to read up on it and get some tips before trying the install. Maybe someone can post some useful info. I also ordered my c/a/i from the same place as you (same day too :)) and it is suppose to be here Tuesday :cool:

· Registered
1,104 Posts
clique said:
I know a ton of people on here have an AEM CAI, so any of you who have a 96-00 Civic EX (app. 21-414,) can you help me out with a webpage that has specific instructions for removing the bumper, screw locations for stock airbox parts, how to remove, how to install, etc? I can only seem to find install directions for cars that have largely different engines under the hood (i.e. one was for a newer Integra, looks completely different.) Thanks

ya *****, you wanna know how to remove your bumper? go to www.jdmfan.com and it should me there under tutorials or technical or something like that, you will see where it says, custom grills, it shows how to remove your bumper. As far as the installation instructions go, they really don't help, just keep in mind that there might be 2 hoses, one for antifreeze, and one from the engine, so just keep that in mind. Aight good luck. peace

· Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LX98Civic said:
I also ordered my c/a/i from the same place as you (same day too :)) and it is suppose to be here Tuesday :cool:
Haha, that's nutty :D I had to send in a money order (ghetto postage) So I'm expecting the intake to get here sometime next week, or maybe by this coming weekend if I'm really lucky.

vtec4, thanks a lot for the link :) I'm reading over it now.

· Registered
4,659 Posts
surprisingly, this was NOT at all difficult, the only part i found hard was reconnecting the sensor cause the tubing that weapon*
supplied didn't fit AT ALL! so i had to jerry rig somthin up.

everything else (i.e., removing the stock airbox, bumper, and such and connecting the actual intake to the throttle body) was farely simple, and i'm, by NO means, a mechanic, haha.

good luck, i did it pretty blindly with VERY shitty instructions from weapon*

ghost

· Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear the AEM instructions are pretty bland. I'm also not a mechanic by any means; three months ago, I had absolutely no clue what an intake was (or headers, exhaust, intake manifold, etc etc. :D )

I keep remembering when I installed my head unit; projected time was around 45 minutes, and it took both my dad and I around 3 hours to install :( So I'm expecting to have one hell of a stressful day when it comes around to installing the CAI. I always tend to go one way while my dad goes another, and he gets ultra pissed off, making things even more stressful and taking longer :p

· Registered
4,659 Posts
clique said:
I hear the AEM instructions are pretty bland. I'm also not a mechanic by any means; three months ago, I had absolutely no clue what an intake was (or headers, exhaust, intake manifold, etc etc. :D )

I keep remembering when I installed my head unit; projected time was around 45 minutes, and it took both my dad and I around 3 hours to install :( So I'm expecting to have one hell of a stressful day when it comes around to installing the CAI. I always tend to go one way while my dad goes another, and he gets ultra pissed off, making things even more stressful and taking longer :p
well, i know EXACTLY what you're feelin cause i had so much confidence goin into it and then halfways through i didn't know if my car was gonna blow up or what cause i thought i fucked up, then i made some calls, emails etc. and taz77 helped me out, he's a member of the old SHO v.3
just hit me up on email or whatever when you do it if you have a problem. i'll know what to do, cause i was in that SAME position. just let me know when you're gonna do it so i can periodically check my email ;) that's if i'm not busy or somethin'
ghost

· Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright man, thanks a lot :D It'll probably be a while, like I said, a few weekends from now (or maybe even more.) I'll keep SHO in mind though, when I take off my bumper and realize I've got no effin' idea what I'm getting myself into :p

· Registered
960 Posts
vtec4 said:
Check out my website. It has step by step instructions.
Very nice instructions. I'm using them too. Just, you metion disconnecting the water hose from the throttle body to the intake manifold. What is this waterhose?

Here is a pic I just took of my bay...it's snowing...so don't mind the flakes.

· Registered
19 Posts
Sorry, it's been a long time since I installed it, but the only hose I remember changing was the o2 sensor hose and the hose that is connected to the valve cover on the right of the arrow in your pic. The pic where I'm peeling off the AEM sticker shows the hoses on the final connection. Hope this helps

· Registered
960 Posts
In your pic...

1) This tube has nothing to do with the intake....honda just decided to weld the 2 pipes together. This pipe is for coolant or something. (Mayeb that the "water hose" vtec4 was talkin about)
2) Air temp sensor.
3) Breather hose.

Same problem as I am having.

Its that damn welded metal piping. I guess you have to replace that whole metal weld section with 2 new pipes.
1. One going to intake to the valve cover.
2. The other is for like...coolant or something.

If only they were already seperate...would make it much easier.
I'll install my intake next warm days we get here.
Its been in my room for like 2 months. :(

· Registered
1,104 Posts
enjoy it bro, make sure you reset your ecu, remove the back up fuse 7.5 amps for 5 minutes, put it back in, start up your car and let it idle for 10 minutes and don't touch the gas, and then turn your car off, turn it back on and drive away, you will feel the difference :) enjoy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.