Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys. I've decided to post this here in the Sol forum bc this is where I spend most of my time...and I know that mostly all of you know your STUFF. Here's my problem...keep in mind I'm currently driving an '02 gt Eclipse (sorry :eek: ) After doing a pretty insane burn out this past weekend through second gear...I noticed that my car was running a little funny. This happens in pretty much any gear but it's most noticeable in second and third. When I'm just cruising along at a moderate speed in let's say third, and I GUN it, the needle on the tach jumps up and I HEAR the engine begining to work harder, but I don't actually FEEL anything for a few seconds...it kind of feels like an auto trans slipping...but I'm driving a manual vehicle? I don't understand :confused Could it be that I need a new clutch? I'm not sure when if ever, the previous owners changed the clutch...I do know that when I bought it, I was told that it was a bank repo...so I'm guessing that the previous owners didn't take very good care of it. The tranny grinds sometimes when I shift into second, so I know that they didn't drive it as well as they should have. But I'm guessing that the SLIPPAGE problem I'm experiencing has something to do with my clutch...but could it be my tranny that's causing the problems? I don't know what to do, and at the moment I'm kind of pressed for money, as I just started my summer job, and I won't be getting paid until the 30th of this month...and I didn't work but 4 days on this past pay period bc school ended just last week ( I work with kids)...so I'm stuck until the end of the month, but I also don't want to spend money on something that's not needed. Any info will greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
it sounds like your clutch its slipping so just dont drive hard and take off soft and ill last you , i drove mine till it wouldnt go up a hill, lol it took over 2 months from the day it started :eek

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
yeah..it does seem like your clutch.....but the problem should me more notable in your higher gears......a good way to test your clutch is to put your car in like 3rd or 4th gear while youre stopped and rev it a lil and dump the clutch.....should buck and stall (quickly)....this will however damage your clutch also

·
Registered
406 Posts
one clutch test ive always done is seeing if you can
take off in 2nd or just letting off the clutch very slowly,
if its good it will just take off on its own without needing
any gas at all. i dont know how true those are or whatever
but theyve always worked for me

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
get on a highway and get it in 4th gear and floor the gas pedal. if you see the rpm gauge climb but the speed barely increases then your clutch is on it way out. the grinding could be bad synchros so when you take the tranmission down you can send it out to have those replaced (might as well replace the ones for the 3rd gear since its very common for them to go bad).

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got a chance to talk to a mechanic today...pretty cool guy. He seems to think it's the clutch as well. He told me he could remanufacture my clutch and what not, with new bearings and pressure plate, as well as resurfacing the flywheel...it'll run me 700-750 that way...he could install a clutch for me if I bought it myself for 515 and that's with the flywheel resurfaced...AND that's the cheapest out of all the places I called today :( that's freakin insane for a clutch job! I can't do this myself, as I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I'm almost positive that if I was driving a honda, I wouldn't be paying this much...I have a warranty that covers the tranny so I'll have the place deal with that when I take it in to have the sunroof fixed (the motor isn't running :mad ) I'm thinking I should just get rid of it...I knew I shouldn't have gotten rid of the Solara...thanks for all your quick responses...I would have been on sooner but I just recently started my summer job, which is out of TOWN! and my car is a frikkin PIECE! I'm not sure how much longer the clutch has, but it's not too bad when I drive it nice and easy...gradually increasing my speed instead of trying to gun it.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
clutches aint the easiest thing to change. lots of labor involved. can you diy?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
$515 with your clutch is crazy :eek :eek .
to resurface the flywheel they should not charge you more than $50.
and the labor for the clutch should be $250 at the most.
i dont think you should sell your car just because it needs maintenace.

·
Registered
365 Posts
too bad you live way to far if not i do them for 200 bux labor the clutch for mine was 118 , for clutch, throw out bearing , and crank bearing, brand new no rebuilt S^%% it took me 1 day to do with just me and my 14 year old brother LOL the resurface no more than 50 bux

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
if you see the rpm gauge climb but the speed barely increases then your clutch is on it way out.

if the clutch slips the speedo will go up w it...the speedo sensor is on the tranny

iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
and the labor for the clutch should be $250 at the most. .

dont know how you really figure that.....changing a clutch is MORE labor intensive than changing a transmission

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
soul 93 said:
if the clutch slips the speedo will go up w it...the speedo sensor is on the tranny
if the clutch is slipping, the speedo WILL NOT climb at a symilar rate with the rpm gauge. if you think about it for a minute it will make sense.

soul 93 said:
dont know how you really figure that.....changing a clutch is MORE labor intensive than changing a transmission
changing the clutch is not that much more complicated than just dropping the transmission. just few more bolts to take the pressure plate out and if you're resurfacing the flywheel few more for that. maybe 15min at the most to take those out.

average shop will charge 70/hour (give or take) and it should not take them more than 4 hours to do the job. if they tell you it takes more then go look for someone else because they dont know what the hell they are doing.

for my gsx i paid $250 for labor to change the clutch and it takes a lil longer because there are few extra parts that you fwd guys dont have such as the transfer case and driveshaft. i went to 10 different places and the price range was from $220 to $325.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
if the clutch is slipping, the speedo WILL NOT climb at a symilar rate with the rpm gauge. if you think about it for a minute it will make sense.
QUOTE]

you are absolutely wrong

the speedo will climb to whatever your revs/gear wuold typically be

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ksniperfox said:
clutches aint the easiest thing to change. lots of labor involved. can you diy?
I've never changed a clutch out or anything...I always pay others to do it. but all I've ever owned before were honda's, and I've only replaced the clutches on those cars once...and it didn't cost me much at all. I'm up in Alaska right now. 515 is the cheapest place I found thus far. Every place else is 100-200 bucks more expensive...and that's just labor and a flywheel resurfacing job. The shop that quoted me 515 said it would take him all day, so he'd keep it over night. I was a little skeptical about that at first, bc no matter what car it may be, I wouldn't think it'd take someone all day to change a clutch, I mean for an experienced mechanic...I'm a little confused now. Everything is a little more expensive up here, but this is insane. Clutches from Schucks (it's like Napa autoparts/advanced, etc.) range in prices from 404-494...and they are brands I never even heard of. If I buy my own clutch this is gonna end up costing me damn near 1000 dollars...that's a little much :noo I think I'm gonna have to tackle this project on my own and hope for the best. I'll find out how much it'll cost me to get my flywheel resurfaced and I'll let you all know what I find out tomorrow. Damn, this sucks :mad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.