Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my 88 CRX in to get safety and I/M to get re-registered (i'm a week over due)... Anyways, both failed and i'm kinda wondering if they're tryin to screw me a bit money wise to have it passed.... here's the details of the readings:

Highspeed test - HC (ppm) standard is 220, mine read 401 for a difference of -181. CO2 % standard is 1.20 mine read 9.93 for a difference of -8.73.

Idle test - HC (ppm) standard is 220, mine read 544, difference -324. CO % standard is 1.2, mine read 8.62, difference -7.42

Also my front tires failed (even though they look fine/not very worn looking), and left rear brake light failed.

They say to have it pass i'd need new tires (about $40 a peace, which sounds about right), new brake light $9, and for the I/M i'd need a full tune-up of around $250?!?!?! plus some fuel injector shit. PLUS they advised for new upper strut mounts running me at about $200 (not needed to pass, but heavily advised). Does this sound right? That's close to $400 just to have it passed when it passed last year perfectly fine and the year before. I can't afford that shit lol. Got any good ideas to get some place to pass it on the cheap? All suggestions welcome.

P.S - they said something about a timing adjustment. Is that really needed? Cuz i hear that's sometimes alot of money.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Make sure your car is good and warm when you take it in also, I would not retard the timing any. HC numbers that high mean you are not burning enough of the fuel being dumped, retarding your timing will make this worse. If you haven't ran your car hard in a while now would be a good time to give it some hell and clean it out a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.