Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok jus got a 97 ej8 civic from this guy for pretty cheap, it mechanicly sound and looks ok but its lowered with 18s and rubs the fender when doin a sharp turn. i plan on painting it and putting other rims on it but i like the look of 18 on it, some1 told me that coilovers will solve the rubbing problem?, also could i jus get wider fenders?..
thanx

· Registered
41,903 Posts
its the 18s that are causing you to rub. Civic's just arent made for wheels that big. If you lower it, it's going to rub even more. You're better off getting smaller wheels, like 15 or 16"

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its already lowered, the guy had it lowered with lowering springs and has 18s on it,, some1 told me that coilovers or wider fenders would solve that problem, is that not true?// cuz id like 2 keep the 18s if i can

· Registered
60 Posts
There's several ways to solve the rubbing problem, if you want the 18s to stay on. You can get coilovers and dial them up until you don't have the rubbing problem, or you can roll the fenders. If you look in the well, you'll see the fender has kind of a lip, you can have that pressed flat to the outer skin and it might help. Honestly, 18s are too big for the vehicle, and can cause much bigger problems than rubbing. Take a step down to 17s. They'll still fill out the wheel well, but you won't have a rubbing problem

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i was thinken i might have 2 down size 2 17s, i jus like the look of a tight fit, but i think 17s will still give me that look and not ruin my car lol, so if i was gettin 17s how wide could i go?

· Registered
41,903 Posts
i had 17s on my civic, and even with stock suspension, they would rub when i would turn hard. the tire size i had then was 205/40/17

Now, i have 195/50/15 tires and i rub the same as i did before, but my car is 4 inches lower.

If you don't want to rub at all, stick with 15 or 16" wheels. You can eliminate wheel gap with a smaller wheel by lowering your car a bit more.

· Registered
60 Posts
Yes you will be fine with coilovers and 17's. I have 17's with 205/40/17's on my EX which is completly stock, suspension wise, and have ZERO rubbing. I also have 17's (same size tire) on my hatch which is lowered about 2.5-3" on coilovers. I dont have any rubbing problems there either unless I hit a big bump. Coilovers also have stiffer spring rates so the car wont travel as far when you hit a bump. You could keep the 18's but you wont be able to drop it much, if at all. Smaller wheels make for better performance, which is why everyone stays below 16's for the most part now. If I had the cash, I'd buy a set of lightweight 15's or 16's, then you can drop it as far as you'd like!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.