Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for everyone out there, here is a question:

For all of those out there who know about the little tutorial on "Making your own AEM intake" (found on Team Del Sol ) the article uses 2 different filters for the prototype process... one filter is the actual AEM filter, and the other is a K&N filter... my question is, look at the following picture below. I believe that it's the K&N filter, but I have no clue as to why the filter is so "black." It looks like it has some sort of plastic black guard around the filter, and I would like that same exact filter set up. If any of you guys (especially any del sol guru's who know what article i am talking about) know anything about this specific filter set up (i.e. what it is, brand, where to buy), please let me know. I appreciate any help that I can get...

The article can be found here:

Making Your Own AEM Intake

Here are the pictures:

This black looking filter is the one i really want, so if anyone can tell me where i can get it or what the black surrounding piece is, it would help out a lot... thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I want to try this in my integra cause my AEM is all fucked up... As for the filter type just get a K&N filter, I have no idea why this one is black cause usually there like a pink, like right after I clean mine and respray it with the filter oil it comes out bright red or pink which is a good sign.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
maybe that one is just extra dirty? cause if i don't clean mine for a while it gets dark like that...also i don't think theres a cover on there cause if u look at the filter thers a silver metal piece there and thats where the filter element gets connected together to make the cone shape. so i don't think theres a cover on there..just mad dirty. usually most filters are the red/pink when clean or even partially dirty. my .02

laters

·
Registered
479 Posts
I dont know where to get the filter, but im pretty sure that the black thing is a heat shield or something like that, if you look at some vw neuspeed filters they have the same thing , a heat shield. Sorry I cant help you out, but i hope you find it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
has anyone actually tried building this intake, i want to just cause im so curious to see if it's actually any better or not. That and I want to change the color of the intake I'm currently using from sliver to red and would rather just build this one then have to buy a new AEM or to paint my current AEM.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

there is no cover on the filter..look at the pic above REAL close..u can see the pleats in the cone...no shield.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Well the filter i have no idea anymore cause i dont see pleats, but im blind so what do i know. But my friend has made the "make your own AEM", it worked fine, hes never had a real AEM CAI to compare with, but he knows there was a gain. In the end though, he left the piping from the throtle body on and put back on the factory air box (where the filter is) and then from the air box down he put the rest of the tube, he says it works better. I dunno, but the "make your own" works. Good luck

·
Registered
208 Posts
the pleats are really hard to see if they're actually there. is it possible that it's foam? i have only seen foam filters on scale R/C cars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I know it's K&N... I just can't find the exact type... sometimes I wish I was never a perfectionist! Oh well, any more help will be nice, but if I never find out what type of filter that is, I think I am going to decide on buying two different types of filters... a regular conical K&N filter, and then a Weapon-R Foam Dragon Filter (picture at the bottom)... I am going to compare the two and see which one is more suitable for *extreme daily driving.*

If you guys think you know which one is better, drop me a line so I don't waste my money... In all common sense, I would assume that the K&N filter is probably better for daily performance, but I am really curious about the foam filters... anyway, opinions are appreciated! I will keep searching for that damn black filter though... thanks for all the help so far!

The Weapon- R Dragon filter (foam)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have very limited first hand knowledge of filters. Of course you always hear K&N filters are so great. I let that get to me, and one is on it's way as I type.

One of the features of the K&N is that is washable and reusable. I don't know if most filters are capable of this, as I have really only targeted my filter research towards K&N.

Really, the reason I chose K&N is because of the supposedly very good air flow.

Sometimes magazines do side-by-side comparisons on specific performance products. Maybe SCC did one for filters???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts