Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some spoon cams for my B16A motor. Car doesn't want to start with spark plug wires thinner than 8mm. Now with everything I have, timing is correct, but when I hit VTEC, the car seems to be laggy and not be putting out as much power as it should be, it actually seems faster w/o VTEC right now. Valve clearances were readjusted, but I believe they are still off. I am waiting on some Skunk2 valve springs and retainers, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix the problem while I'm still using my OE springs and retainers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you adjust your cams yet? Sometimes when they're way out of spec the car will refuse to start or when it does it lags on the street. Happend to me. I read somewhere that whenver you get the top camshafts like Spoon, Jun or Toda, the VTEC activation will get moved way up on the RPM band, and the only way to set the VTEC operation correctly is with a VTEC controller(that's probably one of the reasons why Spoon has their own VTEC controller), check around on this and see if this solves your problem.:eek:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i believe with spoon camshafts you need to bump vtec actuation up to about 6300 rpm and allow for a redline of 85-8700 rpm. don't quote me but i think your car is going to be a bit of a dog until you get those valve springs and retainers in. until then just break the camshafts in and allow them to get used to the motor.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
i agree with jayman. and get those springs and retainers in. I think w/o them you're asking for trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts