Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this '87 civic 4 door sedan that's been in my family for years, and the thing eats up oil. We got someone to figure out the problem for free, but if the cylinders are fucked up, then I think it would be cheaper to get some other old engine and drop it. I don't need a pure performance engine in the thing, just one that would get me and whoever else is drivin from point a to point b. Which engine should i look for, and where can i get it? Can i use a fuel injected engine? How would I know if the engine fits? How much would it cost for just the engine? What steps should i take in swapping the engine here?

· Registered
65 Posts
a great motor to get is from the 86, 86 integra. It is fuel injected and DOHC with 118 hp. If yout civic is not F/I, it is more work, but a nice swap. This motor and tranny will just drop right in to your 87 Civic. uou shou;d get as much from the Integra as possable. wire haarness, ECU 4 wheel disk breaks...EVERYTHING!
or just junk the car for 150 bucks and start over. :D

· Registered
90 Posts
just so you know, i rebuilt the 87's engine because it wouldnt start at all, it was totally fucked

check the hoses for leaks, and some of the gaskets

if i were to have taken my 87 to a mechanic to rebuild the engine it would have cost me $700,
and mine probably needed a lot more work then yours :p

simple thing to do first is get engine oil treatments (the detergent and then next oil change, the restorer (so your seals get some of their life back)

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine is carbed, so in what ways would it affect the amount of work i put into swapping it? Anyway, what would the 'teg's engine fit the mount perfectly, or will it require modification? Will the engine bay have enough space?

· Registered
90 Posts
theres plenty of space to put in any later model D series engine, and the b16 engine though you might have to forge new mounts....
but trust me on this... its not worth it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.