Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of going with a DC Sport 4-2-1 header, but rest of the exhaust I need help with. I'm going with a straight pipe because there aren't any emissions here anymore, so it's legal to have one now, but I need a good setup to finish.

As for the intake manifold, I'm really lost on what to get here. So help here will be greatly appreciated.

This is for a '89 Civic DX hatch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go custom!! Take it to an exhaust shop and have them build a custom system to be what you what. It'll probably end up saving you money that way too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It really all depends on the type of material they use. Go with stainless steel and you'll have less rust issues. It's going to be a little more expensive than aluminized steel but you'll get a longer use out of it. You can expect to pay about the same for a full exhaust at an exhaust shop for about the price of a mediocre catback. Probably a little less. It's just going to depend on who you go to, what material they use, and also how they build it. You can have it mandrel bent or crush bent. Mandrel bends are by far the best because the pipe will be the same diameter all the way thru instead of getting smaller at the bends that you would get with crush bending.

·
Registered
141 Posts
which car and motor do you have? IM, where do you want the power, upper or lower rpm. i am all street, but rev it up sometimes so i went the cheap route, Z6 IM, it puts the power more on the top end. good luck. you can study this motor thing for hours trying to figure out what you want, and the cheapest way to get there.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an '89 Civic DX hatchback. It's got a D15B2 motor. Nothing special about the motor. I'm just looking to make it sound sporty while giving me better performance and gas milage than stock. This is going to be my gas saver performance engine. I'm going to swap a B18C5 into it later on down the lines. This will be my more or less racing engine and daily driven until gas prices get crazy, then the D15 will be what I'm using.

·
Registered
24 Posts
legacyo13 said:
....until gas prices get crazy, then .....

You guys have been driving Civic's tooo long.. :) Gas prices have been crazy for a while now.. :) Try pulling up to the pump with a 16gallon tank that won't take anything but 93 octane and only gets 220 miles to the tank in the city.. :(

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tram said:
You guys have been driving Civic's tooo long.. :) Gas prices have been crazy for a while now.. :) Try pulling up to the pump with a 16gallon tank that won't take anything but 93 octane and only gets 220 miles to the tank in the city.. :(
I've never gone over 10 gallons go into my tank, and that's when it's on E. I manage about 220 - 230 miles in the city, and I use 93 octane gas. 330+ miles on the highway. So your not alone. If I had a newer model Civic, it'd be better, but it's from the 80's, so it doesn't have the large gas tank that todays vehicles have. My tank was like 10.393 gallons from E :mad .

So I'm looking at $80 to roughly $200 for a complete custom exhaust. I'm looking for a low bellow instead of the highpitch bee sound. Any idea what size pipes those are?

·
Registered
141 Posts
i just filled mine up for the first time since i bought it and it took 9.5 gal. and the needle was just above E. girl i bought it from said she was getting 38 on the highway, a far cry from my 4runner at 20 on the highway. it is pretty easy to get caught up in this high horse power motor build , and i would love to do it but at $3 a gallon, hmmmm, i don't think i will. i have not made up my mind on header or exhaust yet, that is still in the research department. it will be 2 1/4 inch pipe for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.