Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i decided against a b series swap and decided to use the 2k to rebuild my d16y8 and turbo it.

the engine has about 100k miles on it. i got it around 75k miles and have taken good care of it while i've had it. only mods are greddy evo 2 exhaust and an AEM V2 intake

what i want to know is- what do i need to replace/rebuild/fix/do to my 100k mile engine to prepare it for a turbo and ensure its reliability. what bolt ons should i get before the turbo. i'm looking into getting new cams and pistons and i'll probly replace the head gasket while i open up the engine. i've never done any internal engine work tho.

any help would be appreciated, i'm really anxious to get started on this build and turbo but i dont really know where to start or how to prep for the turbo

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
96civic3door said:
$2000 budget will fund a pretty good build and start you on your turbo setup.

ARP Head Studs
Crower Rods
Weisco Pistons
Head Gasket
Line/Hone the block

You should be able to get all that done for around $1200 or so, give or take a few $'s

$800 left over I would sink $800 alone into the turbo and manifold

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=3652&

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=26&mods=14-1024,38-2465,49-2463
ok thanks alot. what's involved in lining/honing the block?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Im just doing the water pump, timing belt, then slaping on the turbo!! I have 110K and it should be a-ok,most of that 2k will go into the turbo kit and tuning.

what im wondering is do you have 2g's for JUST then engine with out the turbo, or do you have 2000 to turbo your engine?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
speedjunky01 said:
Im just doing the water pump, timing belt, then slaping on the turbo!! I have 110K and it should be a-ok,most of that 2k will go into the turbo kit and tuning.

what im wondering is do you have 2g's for JUST then engine with out the turbo, or do you have 2000 to turbo your engine?
well i was gonna get a b-series for 2,000 or maybe 2,5000 at most. but then i researched some more and thought that turboing my d would be the best bet since my main goals aren't very much, just a fun, quick daily driver maybe 180-200 whp? but now i'm having second thoughts on the turbo after talking to some people saying how they go through d-series engines so fast because they weren't made to handle the turbo for an extended period of time.

so i don't really know right now. b16 swap or turbo d. either way i'm not very mechanically inclined and i'm only 18-never done anything related to engine building. for this reason it might just be easier to get a b swap with bolt ons, which would pretty much satisfy my hp goals.

i was gonna build my d series some to make it more reliable with the turbo but i looked at my haine's manual for removing and replacing cams, rods, and pistons and it looked like a real pain. i could just slap a homemade turbo kit on there but i'm going to college in the fall and don't want to have engines blowing up every couples months or so.

so thats basically my predicament. any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
on a good tune, the d will have NO problems taking boost reliably, keep up on mainenance and it will be fine.

I havent found 1 D blowing up on a good tune, plenty on FMU's but on crome and a wideband, from what Ive scen its basicly close to stock reliability.

im also hoing the HMT route and I just turned 17 lol, its not hard just fucking dive into the engine and keep all bilts in baggs and label them, I just did a timing blt and water pump, wasnt hard at all. up next is clutch, then BOOST!!

honestly honda made everything pretty easy to get to. as far as building the engine I would have a problem doing it, Ive never done it but I belive in my self, im organized and I have fun tearing stuff down, I say go for it.

best tuning will be crome and a wideband o2 on a dyno!!!this is where hp+reliability is made!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
speedjunky01 said:
on a good tune, the d will have NO problems taking boost reliably, keep up on mainenance and it will be fine.

I havent found 1 D blowing up on a good tune, plenty on FMU's but on crome and a wideband, from what Ive scen its basicly close to stock reliability.

im also hoing the HMT route and I just turned 17 lol, its not hard just fucking dive into the engine and keep all bilts in baggs and label them, I just did a timing blt and water pump, wasnt hard at all. up next is clutch, then BOOST!!

honestly honda made everything pretty easy to get to. as far as building the engine I would have a problem doing it, Ive never done it but I belive in my self, im organized and I have fun tearing stuff down, I say go for it.

best tuning will be crome and a wideband o2 on a dyno!!!this is where hp+reliability is made!
thanks man. i actually just got a good deal on an engine so we'll see how that works out. either way i'm excited to get working on the engine aspect of my car. so far all i've done is cosmetics and i feel pretty comfortable with that. whatever i do i'll keep everyone updated with pics and so on.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
To tell you the truth man you dont really need to build a Y8/Z6 to make 200whp. Anymore it is rather common place to see 220 to 230whp on stock engines with a cam and a good tune. Just remember that like building/boosting there are cost that pop up with swapping also so dont think it is clean and dry you buy the swap and install it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.