Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a quick question on the Honda Prelude (4th gen) engine. Here is my qualm
I just bought a 4th gen Prelude from the dealer...

It had VTEC floormats and a DOHC VTEC sticker on the back and it has DOHC VTEC on the valve cover, so I assumed it was the upper model Prelude

Well the carfax I got from the dealer said it was a Prelude S...I guess base model...H23??? My engine bay says 2259cc (which equates to 2.3L which would be the H23)

However it has a VTEC controller and you cant put VTEC controllers on the H23, at least according to the box

I am a newb and dont exactly know when the VTEC is "supposed" to be kicking in if at all. The V-AFC says something like 4800 (I forgot and I just checked it...LOL)

I checked the block and it says H23A1. Now that isnt a VTEC engine right.........

My question is can you bolt on H22 head on a H23 block.....if not....can the DOHC VTEC vavle cover fit on the H23 head??? Alos what is the fuel cut on teh H22 or H23...I am hitting fuel cut liek at 5500rpm or so......

Excuse the long post and my newbness. I am just came from the Nissan camp and we didnt have all these different engine types....

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
hmm... prob jsut a misprint. you would def notice a diff between a a and a vtec prelude. do you have plastic hubs? what does your tach say? redline etc...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car has........

7500redline
alloy wheels (OEM)

The carfax said it was an S. The insurance guy when I gave them the VIN said it was an S. I just free revved and the highest I got was 6000rpm then it started bouncing off the revlimit.

This is so weird. The car runs good but I am lost. The engine bay sasy 2259cc, the block says H23a1 and the valve cover says DOHC VTEC. Also how in the hell do you check these htings for codes??? I pulled out the ECU expecting to see a LED and some kind iof knob to go into test mode...but nothing.. Also if it helps, I think I have a P13 ECU....................

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
LOL, I feel so sorry for the previous owner of that car, I knew him well.

It is a Prelude S (I guess), with a H23 VTEC hybrid motor in it.

It is a Prelude Si block (H23A1) with a VTEC (H22A1) head on it.

That might actually be my old block because I sold him my old H23.

He was having problems with the ECU hitting fuel cut at 5500rpm or so right before he traded it in. lol....sounds like fun.

Curious, what'd you pay for it?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
o man:mad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL they wanted 9995 for it. I thought it was a VTEC Prelude so when I booked it, it booked at around 9000 or so. I paid 7800 for. What sucks is I bought this car AND a Rodeo on one loan check from my bank...so this will get VERY confusing if I decide to go ahead and tell the dealership I dont want that bullshit.......The V-AFC and gauges should a sign...ding ding ding, but alas. It was so sexy and even my wife was feeling it. She was liek he wants the Prelude because I WAS goign to get a Civic coupe, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:mad: :eek: :cry:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That H22/23 hybrid motor is something that's always intrigued me. You didn't get totally shafted on the deal, you've still got the vtec head. Should be a fun car if you can get the cut off thing worked out.

·
Registered
808 Posts
wat year is the car...n isnt that a bit pricey for a prelude S?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I talked to the previos owner and we kinda got ir figured out so I am going to keep it. The car is SUPER clean. Almost no flaws. The motor is almost brand new. Just gotta figure out why the fuel cut is hitting so low. He said it may be from a intake manifold gasket. So I am going to change that and we also gotta figure out why the VTEC isnt engaging. MAybe the solenoid......?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
92Lude said:
wat year is the car...n isnt that a bit pricey for a prelude S?
It is a 1996 loaded with everything except leather (if that is even an option). I think they may have given him "credit" for a VTEC prelude. He told them it was a hybrid and what not....yet they failed to inform me or I wouldnt have bought it.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Trppen37 said:
It is a 1996 loaded with everything except leather (if that is even an option). I think they may have given him "credit" for a VTEC prelude. He told them it was a hybrid and what not....yet they failed to inform me or I wouldnt have bought it.
i'd say raise hell

and didn[t u get a warranty at all? Make the fix the low redline

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah it came with a warranty....they said they would look at it. BUt It just came with the regular in house warranty. I declined to pick up the 1600 extended warranty because I have two cars, so if this one went down, I could fix it myself. I guess they are willing to help. I have to bring them the car to either have them look at it or trade it fro something else, but I dont wanna give it back. I would rather fix it.....either way, the car is so lowered it wont make it with all the snow we have right now. I cant even get out of my driveway........

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ALL RPM's. The dealership is being cool.........................................so far. I am waiting on them to call back. IF they dont work this out, I will pick up a 2000 Civic HX. Now if I am correct, that is a SOHC VTEC right....d16 something or another.....Wanna be sure, if I see DOHC VTEC on a D16 equipped car, I will know to not buy it....LOL:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
4 bidden,

since u know the car probably more than the new owner are u sure the VAFC is installed and set correctly? That might be the reason y he has cut off at 6500........i'm almost certain actually

-make sure it isn't in 'safe' mode

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what I gathered.....the original owner (well last owner) knew his shit when it came to that kinda stuff. I actually ttalked to him. What I was goign to ask him later was I had some questiosn abouyt a write up. The guy who did the writew up had the same problems as I am having.

"But the dilemma out of all this is that its still redlining at the Si limit of 6500, not the VTEC limit of 7500!"

-It did rev to 6000 this morning but maybe because it was cold....who knows........

"The computer isnt giving me a check engine code all the time, sometimes i get code 22 which indicates a malfunction in or from the VTEC pressure switch so i still have a problem somewhere..."

-I have a Check engine light but was oblivious on how to check the codes. It is WAAAAAAAAY too cold to be fiddlign around with that so I am hoping the dealer does it while the car is there

"took the car apart in October 2002 to change the clutch, remove the head again to clean and flush it , and change the timing belt. I completed it on February 1, 2003. I installed an ACT Xtreme Clutch, put a new timing belt, and cleaned and flushed the head twice before putting it back on. The reason why i was not getting an extended redline was because there is an "oil control orifice" on the H23 block that needs to be removed. I removed this "plug" and reassembled the head. Sure enough, my redline goes to almost 8000 RPM (approx. 7800). And you can hear the VTEC clearly kick on at approx. 5400-5500 RPM."

-Dont knoe if the other guy did this. I am going to call him and see

"Of course you need to run the VTEC power wire from the solenoid to the ECU/ECM. And you need to wire the VTEC pressure switch which has two leads/wires, one lead goes to ground and the other goes to the ECU/ECM as well. My car was already wired for VTEC. I dont know if all Preludes come like that or it varies from year to year however, the pressure switch signal and VTEC solenoid power was already in the main harness from the ECU/ECM to the engine bay."

-I think he did this already from what I can tell, but forgive me for being a newb but where is the VTEC solenoid located. What I thought was it, my friend said it wasnt. So I am clueless. We tried tracing down wires but it is shit cold here and it started snowing so we called it a day. NOw the car is gone to the dealer and they are goign to determine either the steps needed to fix it (good luck...I dont think any of those guys are honda certified) or the steps to get me another car. Assuming he didnt remove that oil piece from teh block, that will be VERY labor intensive. Hell changing a headgasket is liek what 900 bucks. Almost ALL labor. Hell it is all labor. A HG is liek 40-50 bucks. So we will see what happens. They should be calling me today or tomorrow. They have had the car for a couple hours, but I dont know their work schedule so.............

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
did u figure it out yet...just make sure the vafc is installed right than u can cross that off your list

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have not the time nor desire and the dealership is taking the car back. So no more Prelude for me.:cry: It is bittersweet. On one side it was such a clean car and had LOADS of potential if fixed but on the other hand I came from a 240sx with RB20 and having did the swap myself....STILL didnt like the fact of swapped/hybrid engines. So I definately wouldnt want an engine that is not stock and I have ZERO clue about.....So it is for the better. Even the dealership...they were clueless. They were like we dont know what has been done. I am getting into a CLEAN low mileage 2000 Civic HX...SOHC VTEC....not the best for power but the turbo WILL come. Boost pwns me. In addition to the no VTEC and 5500 fuel cut (ometimes 6000 sometimes 5000), it developed an oil eak of some kind. I was liek great...ANOTHER problem. I know I didnt do it. I dorve it all of 40 miles and most of that was from the dealership to my house...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts