Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a shift light and i installed it yesterday and it is adjustable from 3000 to 12000 rpm. there were three wires that need to be connected. a red one, black one , and a green one. i connected the red one and the black to the cigarette lighter with them being the power and the ground respectively. now it said to hook up the green wire to the distributor but i didn't want to do that because i didn't want another wire in my engine bay coming out of the fire wall. so what i did is that i looked on the internet and i found that i could tap into the tachometer wire which is blue with silver spots. but now my shift light was set at 3000 rpm and the light is hesitating. what i mean by hesitating is that it keeps flashing real quick out of nowhere and i am not even moving. it does it when i am moving also but it also does it when i am just sitting in my car at idle. i thought hooking up the green wire to the stock tach was okay because i have read that many people do it like that. i asked my friend and he said that it is hesitating like that because i hooked it up to the tach wire instead of the distributor. is that true? should i move the wire? has anyone else had any problems with their tach flashing constantly for no reason? sorry for the long post but i am mad at my shift light right now.

p.s. i drive a 95 honda civic si hatchback

· Registered
1,449 Posts
of the information you got was correct of which wire the tach runs off, then it shouldn't have to run of your dist. I'd check your ground and maybe you'll have to find a better place to ground it somewhere.thats all I can think of

· Registered
625 Posts
cool thanks benny i'll try to run it to another ground this weekend when i have time again

edit: sorry but i didn't know that i was on my roommates screename

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.