Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all the d series motor looking for more power yet not wanting ot spend thousands of dollars to get there try this and youll get a pretty pleased increase:

1. Cold Air intake
2. Good 4-2-1 header
3. Good Muffler
4. advanced timming
5. Pullies

that is a good increase in power for a d series motor, now being able to install these mods will save you 100s of dollars.
and if you have a good bit of money you could get a cam, that would help Tramendesly...labor for someone to do is a killin,IMO

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i think he's meaning to do them 1 at a time, not all at once. also, advanced timing = free (i wouldn't personally do this) you could make your own cai, or sri (my personal choice). but it is decent info for a n00b wondering where to start... especially if they cant/dont read the stickies.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
i think he's meaning to do them 1 at a time, not all at once. also, advanced timing = free (i wouldn't personally do this) you could make your own cai, or sri (my personal choice). but it is decent info for a n00b wondering where to start... especially if they cant/dont read the stickies.
If they don't read stickies, and we all know nobody uses search...how is this thread going to benefit them. Anyways, even among D-series engines, the base engine you start with will benefit from different mods. It's not really true that the "best mods to start with" or the "best for the money" are those in the list.

For example, if you have a non-VTEC model, installing a VTEC model tranny costs a couple hundred bucks and although it technically adds no hp, it will still make you faster then all those other mods combined, by a good margin too.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
if it was up to me.. my budget mod would be

nitrous oxide

500 bux will get you 55shots +

as long as you know what you are doing, it is totally safe

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
klungemonger, i understand what you're saying completely, and i agree, the best may or may not be in that list, but its a general list (sorta like "univeral" spoilers to me) that will add performance to any car. when i was a noob, i would look at threads, not the stickies, then once i realized what they were converseing in the threads was slightly over my head, i went back to read the stickies.

theres nothing wrong with what shaddy said, those mods dont cost thousands, but do cost ~1. :)

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
i would turbo>n2o another ~700 will give better power all the time, while giving a larger platform for expansion

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i made this for ppl who dont really have alot of money (to buy a 2395$ JRSC)....or the knowledge of installin a IM, this is a start to performance for them, not for all the ppl who posted up "turbo" "55shot" cuz i wanted that when i was knew to this "car phase" but didnt know how to "install/money to buy/how to use" these mods listed arent really that hard and are a good start IMO for someone who is looking for performance and no 5000$ to get a swap/turbo/25psi/type r :rolleyes

·
Registered
451 Posts
I say you wait until you can get hook ups...that's the best way to save money on parts...

I got hooked up with a greddy trust cat back...but no muffler..so I added a magnaflow to give it that stock look. More power, clean sound, stock look...what more can I ask for? Because I had to get it welded...it cost me $120...bargained down. $120 was my original budget, and $120 was what I got...

My strategy is being patient and shopping smart...I installed that exhaust system to help benefit my gas mileage, even though I know it might have little effect if not any at all. What I really wanted to get rid of was my damn "pee-wee" tail-pipe.

As for intake...Cold-Air isn't always best...especially if you're in a rainy area. I recommend going Short-Ram for hondas because short ram gives more power to your mid-range RPM. This is good for canyon running IMO since you're more concentrated on the first couple gears rather than the last 2. But I could always be wrong since I haven't really been on the runs yet..this is just what I read from another board that my friend linked me to when I was deciphering whether I should go cold-air or short-ram. I'm more of a curve lover...

For other curve lovers, I recommend working more on suspension rather than IHE...Suspension because you'll save a LOT of money tuning that mess as if you were to run stock on the canyons. I had to replace and re-oil my cd-boot as well as replace an axel because of slide slipping my EJ1 too much on regular streets...

·
Registered
478 Posts
klungemonger said:
For example, if you have a non-VTEC model, installing a VTEC model tranny costs a couple hundred bucks and although it technically adds no hp, it will still make you faster then all those other mods combined, by a good margin too.
smart man.

you can bolt on all the crapola you want and never break 15's depending on the chassis and trm level your starting out with, Without having the proper gear box. Best modification for anyone without the "Si/ex" trim level Civic or crx from 88-00 is a trans swap first.

even the EX/Si's can benifit from things other than off the shelf bolt on parts. Headers are the exception, an aftermarket header is a good recomendation for the fresh newb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts