Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First of all, i would like to apologize if there was a thread that I missed regarding this issue, but could not really find anything specific to my problems. I have a 98 Lude, non SH, all stock. I have just moved to CO from NY. I have been having some major problems with lack of power. First, my gas mileage went down from 25mpg to roughly between 15 to 18. I know it is alot higher in altitude here but, didnt think it would make that much of a difference. The idle is roughly at around 400rpms. I have reset the ECU thinking that might help with the air/gas mixture but nothing happened. I dont think it is running too rich cause i dont see a smoke or that black sud on the rear bumper. When I am at a light, if I step on the gas, there is a split second of hesitation where the rpms touch 200 and then go up. My car is very sluggish off the line. The vtec does not engage until i hit 5700rpms which could be explained due to the air pressure, I guess :rolleyes . I thought about changing the O2 sensor, starting with the one by the manifold and maybe doing the other one too. But, before I do that I wanted to ask and see if anyone has any suggestions. I use 91 octane gas, the highest available here. I had a full tuneup before I left NY and everything was fine. Is there such thing as O2 sensors or computer designed just for higher altitudes? I am roughly at 4800feet. I am very hesitant to take my car to a dealership because it seems they cant even do a simple oil change, it is always either 3/4 quart short or they spill oil all over the front pipe and i have to live with the smell for weeks. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions/ideas, I would highly appreciate it. Oh, also, i had to have an emissions test to register my car here and it passed no problem. In fact all the numbers were very low. I have 132K on my car. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
yea, driving on a 1,000 ft elevation for a long time, then move to 4500+ will make a difference.

when i lived in Arizona, i lived in Prescott (4800-5200ft) and worked in Tempe (1000-1300ft) i drive up that mountain almost every day and i can totally tell the difference. my car just doesnt seem happy at 4800ft. so i just kept on driving more often in Prescott and got used to it and it was fine afterwards.

HOw long have you been driving since you moved over there? maybe you should just drive more often and get used to it and see if the problem isnt really alitiude cause.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts