Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, but I've been reading through Honda/Acura forums for a while :D
Anyways, I'm about to buy my first car. I have the opportunity to purchase a 1990 Integra LS Sedan. It has 182,000 miles and is a 5 speed. I talked to the people that are selling it, and it's been a 1 owner car, always serviced at the dealership. They're getting rid of it because they just bought a new car and don't need this one anymore. I can get it for $1900.

So, my question to the Integra owners here is, what are the pro's and con's of buying a teg with high miles like this? Will I be limited to modifications I can do? I know I can't ask much out of a first car, with the price range I have. ($2000) It's either gonna be the Integra, or a 1991 Eclipse (non-turbo).

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

:)

· Registered
1,017 Posts
1900 isn't bad. You could always swap an engine in there and have a decent car. I would get it over the N/A eclipes.

It would be a good first car.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it be worth it to build on the current engine, or go ahead and do what you suggested and swap?

If I DID decide to swap, I think I would go with the b18b1 and supercharge it, if one is available for that application.

I've always thought a clean supercharged sleeper would be fun ;)

· Registered
54 Posts
i dont think you should keep your current engine. and i don't think you should supercharge a b18b, hey my .02, i say get yourself either a b16a, or if money allows a b18c1 and turbocharge it. i know you want the stealthness of a supercharger, but superchargers aren't ideal for 4 cyl. and with a supercharger(unless you got some hefty work) you would not even be able to keep up with a mustang gt, you could just pick on near stock civics all day. sure that's fun for a few days, but how long will you be able to look away everytime a buttstang pulls up next to you at a stoplight?:)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahahha Good point. The middle aged guys here that drive Mustunks are so cocky. They think they own the damn road. I'm not very educated on forced induction, but very willing to learn since that's the path I want to go, along with a swap.

I just want to be able to surprise the pants off of some unsuspecting domestic owner. And still drive a near stock (on the outside) vehicle.

So you think a turbo would be better for me? What kind of gains would I see from the GSR engine, as apposed to the b1, with a turbo? a supercharger?

Thanks for the help :)

· Registered
54 Posts
these numbers are all estimations of course, but reasonable ones i'd think...
a gsr has 170hp(of course only 142 or so to the ground)... without major tuning a turbo kit could easily bring you over the 200hp(to the wheels) mark, i'd say about 215whp or so. procrastinating of course. and it varies what kit you buy, how much psi, blablabla.
the b18b has about 140hp, and around 110whp...
and if you don't feel like getting raped for money by buying a b18c, you usualy can find b16a a lot cheaper.
supercharging a b18c? about 190-maybe 200...
supercharging a b18b? probably around 160-170whp.
most s/c are set at 5-6psi(correct me if i'm wrong)

i'm not too familiar with the weight of g2 integras but even just 215 to the wheels is a respectable amount of horsepower, and it's very easily upped with minor modifications. so i think a turbocharger is the best bet in almost any honda application.

of course all this does you no good if you don't know how to drive you car.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well then, a turbo sounds like the way to go. I have a few friends with Eclipse GS-T's pushing right over 300 HP. I really like the power their cars put out.

Ruckus, what turbo kits would you suggest? Say..for the b18c1. I think if I swapped engines, that would be the one I would get. Unless you think the b16 would be just as good. I don't care to spend money on a good turbo, but I also don't want to overspend, ya know? :)

Also, what internal parts would I need to replace, if I decided to go turbo, and run maybe 10 + psi?

Thanks again for all your help. This is a great source of learning for me.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
If you want a turbo then build up the block you have now. That way you won't have to add the cost of an engine on to your cost, and you will be able to make over 300 hp just like your friends.

I had a friend who turbo'ed a LS. At 13psi he made over 300hp.

And if you do decide on an engine, I wouldn't but a B16A. It won't be any faster than your LS motor. Trust me. I have had friends do this swap and they were somewhat disappointed in it.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Well you can start by getting new pistons, rings, and rods.

With that many miles the rings are probably getting worn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.