Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly does the head on a engine do? I don't understand the whole head block thing, could someone help me out?

Along with that question, what does the block do? How do you know which block will fit which head and so forth? What are the advantages of using a different block or head?

Which compression is best? High or low? What exactly does the compression mean?

Also, here's a problem that I'm having now. When I shift into 3rd gear after being at a high rpm (ex. 4000 or more) I can hear the gears grind slightly. I tried to slow down on my shifting and give the clutch time to disengage, but it didn't help. It used to happen in 5th before I got my new clutch, but now it's doing it in 3rd.

Can someone please help me? I'm trying to learn as much as possible about engines, so if anyone knows any useful sites or would like to help me out, the help will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
You're shifting at 4000+ RPM's and want engine advise!?
Since no "big boys" are answering, I'll tell you what I think/
know, as a "newbie": the "head" is where the air/gasoline
mixture is combined; the block, or "bottom end", is where
combustion occurs, and thus, is the most vulnerable to
"catastrophic" explosions. A '94 Accord? What engine has
it got? I'm not really familiar with Accords. Is it "auto"? Most
are; that always disgusted me, especially on the V-6's. Not
putting down Accords, or YOUR car, just AUTOS.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
hmm.. where to start...

the heads are top of the engine that contains the valvetrain... that includes the cams, valves, valve springs/retainers/keepers/etc..., and spark plugs. the air (and fuel, in carbuerated engines) is entered from the intake manifold into the heads.

once the air gets into the engine from the heads, they go into the cylinders in the engine block. in fuel injected engines, the air and fuel is mixed in the cylinders.. the block is where the pistons, rods, crank, etc is housed in. you'll also have the flywheel, oil pump, and water pump bolted onto the block as well.

as far as "knowing" which heads fit onto which blocks, you'll just have to ask. as far as hondas go, it should be simple enough. the engines each have their own individual codes... (i.e. d16z6, d16y8, b16, b18, etc). basically, the first letter is the "series" of the engine. any d series head will fit onto d series blocks, and the same goes for b series. there are some exceptions, but generally speaking, those heads will fit those blocks. but that's just to get it to fit... there are other stuff you'll need to do when getting different heads to blocks. thats where the asking around comes in.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
BlueBallz said:
Is it "auto"? Most
are; that always disgusted me, especially on the V-6's. Not
putting down Accords, or YOUR car, just AUTOS.
he's got 5 speeds... it's not an auto so relax :)
my guess is that you're sycro is starting to go... try doing a search in a few forums (civic, integra, and this one) for "syncro" or "syncros" and you'll find that more than a few people have the same symptoms you're describing.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
well said taz77 on the definitions portion of the engine.

I would also agree with taz. My first thought when you mentioned your problem was that it was the syncomesh in your tranny. Do a search in the accord forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I'm high right now, so of course i'm not gonna remember that, so i'm gonna read it again later so I make sure I don't forget anything. I think i learned some things, and I'm sure I will later when i read it, just wanted to say thanks. Oh yeah,

just curious but why'd you ask "You're shifting at 4000rpms and want engine advice?"

I was saying after 4000 it does it, but if i shift prior to 4000 then it doesn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts