Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pretty much don't know anything about turbocharging a vehicle besides the little tidbits i get here and there that I can actually comprehend. My goal is at least 250whp, and i have about 5k to play with, but i need it to buy a kit, or piece one together, and also lower my car and if the funds allow, some rims and tires. so that 250whp is not something i need immediately. i will be running a b18a motor with just a block guard and no ems, I just want a kit that will be able to hit 250whp once i get some more internal work done and an ems to tune it properly. thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
I, personally, wouldn't buy a block guard if you are going to get internal work done (i.e. sleeving, etc.) down the road. You'd be better off just getting a thicker head gasket to lower your compression than going with a block guard. Just my opinion on that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
GScivic7 said:
cause it'd just be a waste of money, or does it affect the block some how?
Waste of money. Besides, you can't just "drop" a block guard in and call it good despite what people might tell you or insinuate. It has to be installed by someone who knows what they're doing or you are going to have some serious issues with your motor real quick. A thicker head gasket is pretty effective for those wanting more boost without having to build up their motor. There are some B16s I know of that are just running a thicker head gasket and are boosting in the neighborhood of 10 to 12 lbs. of boost daily with no issues. That being said, they are all running Hondata and bigger injectors and a high-flow intank fuel pump. By bigger injectors I mean 770cc to 1008cc low-impedence injectors. Tuning and good fuel delivery are the big points here. Without that, those engines-or any engine for that matter-would not last long under boost. Definitely keep that in mind when building your setup. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, i was looking for places to buy the revhard stage 2 kit, since uoboarder seems to live by that kit from what i've read in the stickies, and i found it for about 27xx shipped from importcarpartsplus.com...what i need to know is if anyone has had any experience with them?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i want something reliable, not ghetto lol...anyhow, i've decided. Revhard stage 2 kit, ditch the vortech bov and revhard fmu, spring for hks ss bov and hondata s200, obd1 conversion, dsm 450cc injectors, apex n1 muffler, custom 3" piping and if funds allow, dump the deltagate for a tial 35mm wastegate

·
Registered
956 Posts
GScivic7 said:
i want something reliable, not ghetto lol...anyhow, i've decided. Revhard stage 2 kit, ditch the vortech bov and revhard fmu, spring for hks ss bov and hondata s200, obd1 conversion, dsm 450cc injectors, apex n1 muffler, custom 3" piping and if funds allow, dump the deltagate for a tial 35mm wastegate
not bad at all... that sounds like a pretty decent setup. but if your only shootin for 250 or so you could also get the greddy kit. simple and reliable.

·
Registered
936 Posts
if u have 5 to play with i'd rather build up a custom kit with all the parts u need/want, instead of getin a kit and tryin to sell the crap parts u don't want . If u shop around i'm sure u can get a whole kit with an ems for around 3k. then with the remaining 2k you can pay for tuning, slicks, and start your build up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
GScivic7 said:
Sorry for not responding. For some reason I'm not getting email updates. Anywho, sounds like a plan there. I'd look into Thermal R&D's turbo exhausts though. True 3" stainless steel piping from the cat back. Real nice exhaust. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
flip1199 said:
if u have 5 to play with i'd rather build up a custom kit with all the parts u need/want, instead of getin a kit and tryin to sell the crap parts u don't want . If u shop around i'm sure u can get a whole kit with an ems for around 3k. then with the remaining 2k you can pay for tuning, slicks, and start your build up.
the problem is I don't know where to start to look for parts. that was the main idea of this thread in the first place, was for me to get some suggestions on what brands and parts i should get and where to get them from, but no one really wanted to help that way. so i read the stickies and people seem to like the revhard stage 2 kit so that's what i'm going for.

And i looked into the thermal, cheapest i could find it for was $600. The turbo N1 muffler is going for like $100 and piping and install is going to cost me zilch, so it's just a cheap alternative for now. Basically I just want to get this kit on and running and I'll slowly start to build it up into a monster

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
GScivic7 said:
then build something that isn't ghetto.

Precision Turbo SC61 t3/t4 turbo .. $775, definatly not ghetto.
Lovefab SST equal length turbo mani.... the same as above, NOT ghetto and same price, but a mani from a Drag turbo kit would work.
6" Intercooler from www.johnnyracecar.com. $250 shipped
and of course, Hondata

Those are the most important things, and will be what set your setup apart from the rest.

Then of course things like Tial wastegate, BOV, misc lines, clamps, etc.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OdiedogCX said:

6" Intercooler from www.johnnyracecar.com. $250 shipped
see thats the type of info and advice that I need, I'm all for going custom, that was my intention in the first place, i just didn't get any responses. the reason i said i don't want something ghetto is because all the guys at homemadeturbo.com use junkyard parts, something i'm not willing to do

I have a question about the T3/T04E turbos. What A/R housing should I get, and what size wheel, 57 or 60 trim?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright guys, I've done a little searching and came up with some prices, let me know what you think:

1. Garrett T3/T04E turbo -- www.turbostore.com $539

2. 30x6x2 intercooler -- www.johnnyracecar.com $250

3. Rev Hard Turbo Manifold -- www.motormatrix.com $449

4. HKS SSQV BOV -- www.optauto.com $199

5. Tial 35m wastegate -- www.kineticmotorsport.com $210

6. Charge pipes -- Exhaust Specialties in Seattle

7. Downpipe -- Exhaust Specialties(?)

8. Hondata s200 w/Boost -- C-Speed Racing in Bellingham(?) $495

9. Intake & K&N Filter -- Exhaust Specialties & Napa(?)

10. Walbro 255 lph Intank Fuel Pump -- www.importpoweronline.com $105

11. DSM 450cc Injectors -- www.thepartstrader.com(?)

12. CRX resistor box -- www.thepartstrader.com(?)

13. Apex'i N1 Turbo Muffler & Carsound cat -- www.inlinefour.com $286.48

14. 3" Exhaust piping -- Exhaust Specialties

15. Vaccuum lines, clamps & pipe connectors -- Home Depot or Napa

16. Fittings -- (?)

17. Oil lines -- (?)

18. Autometer Gauges and gauge pod -- (?)

19. Greddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller -- www.subarustore.com $305

If anyone has some suggestionis on different places to buy from, or a different part to get, please speak up, i want as much input as possible...i also need help finding places that will sell the items with the ? marks

I added up those prices, only comes out to 2533.48...I'll figure about another $500-700 for tuning and shipping and everything else that didn't get priced

I can get a drop and rims if it turns out like this yipppeeeee

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't forget tuning and install (unless you are knowledgable enough to do it on your own). Alot of peeps forget that kind of stuff and while not at the forefront of everyone's thoughts, they are very important.

BTW, since you wanted specifics and I didn't really give them to ya, I will offer something up. Definitely look into Golden Eagle's VTEC/Turbo Oil Feed Line Adapter for your setup. You can find it at one of the websites you visited, www.motormatrix.com. It really works (I've seen it) and you don't have to tap your pan for a feed line, just the return. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think i saw a groupbuy for those, what size fitting do i need, and what's that other port for?

i can do the install, i have enough confidence to do it. If i run into trouble i'll get my dad, if he can't do it, i'll call his friend who used to build up Honda's in his driveway for a living. too bad he's stuck being a mechanic at a ford dealership now

·
Registered
257 Posts
GScivic7 said:
i think i saw a groupbuy for those, what size fitting do i need, and what's that other port for?

i can do the install, i have enough confidence to do it. If i run into trouble i'll get my dad, if he can't do it, i'll call his friend who used to build up Honda's in his driveway for a living. too bad he's stuck being a mechanic at a ford dealership now
Cool. The Hondata though you are going to need a tuner or someone who can tune it. You can get a basemap installed on it though. Just tell the dealer you are buying it from what you are running and on what engine and they can put together a crude map to let you drive it until you get it tuned.

As far as the fitting you need for the adapter, it depends on the oil line. Call the retailer before you buy. I'm not sure what you mean by "the other port" but one side attaches to the oil filter and the other to the block. The fitting along the edge is for a filtered oil line (like to your turbo or VTEC head for those B20/LSVTEC guys) or a oil pressure (I think) gauge.

·
Registered
936 Posts
well u never had to tap into your oil pan for the feed line. i think it's a waste of money gettin the golden eagle oil feed adapter. Just go to home depot or a plumbing store and buy a brass T for under ten bucks. For hondata call the number in my sig for the best price around. You might also want a lil bigger intercooler (wider and taller).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts