Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the site and could use some help. Firstly I have a '95 Civic EX 1.6l VTEC D16. About a week ago I started to hear an odd noise coming from my engine. When I first start the car there is a clicking noise for a few seconds then it stops. When accelerating it makes the noise as well and when I step off the gas pedal it clicks for a few moments then stops. It doesn't click when braking or idleing though. From some people I talked to (and I can't remember what they said they thought it was, sorry) it seems I could need a new engine ... which would put the the money Ive spent on my civic in maintenance more than its actually worth. Anyone know what this noise is ? Any help is greatly appreciated .. thanks. :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm thinking valve adjustment too. It's a regular maintenance thing so if you haven't done it in a while that's probably it.

My D15B7 is doing the same thing you described, but does it the most at idle. I haven't gotten around to adjusting the lash yet because I'm about to do a head swap. But it's really quite easy. Consult a Haynes manual for proper procedure.

All it takes is a couple of wrenches and a screw driver. A torque wrench helps too to torque down the valve cover to spec but it's not mandatory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First I want to say thanks for your replies so far. Hearing that I wont need a new engine just made my day lol. As for if I've done anything to the car recently ... a few weeks ago my wheel bearings busted and the front left tire came off completely so only thing I've had done is new ball joints and wheel bearings installed as well as tire arm, and 2 days ago I had all my fluids flushed and changed.

I don't know what to explain more, other than the sound is like a really loud click, kind of like clicking a pen repeatedly, except louder. Thanks for all your replies guys. Much appreciated :clap

·
Registered
908 Posts
One thing I forgot to add is to make sure it really is coming from the motor. It could actually be related to the work you had done recently.

So pop the hood, and listen. If you have to, have someone gently increase the rpms and see if you can hear it better. If it's coming from the valve cover it's definitely in need of a valve adjustment.

If you still can't hear it. You might try an automotive stethoscope. An old skool alternative to that would be using a screwdriver instead. Put the tip of the screwdriver somewhere on the valve cover where it won't move around and put your ear up to the handle. That will help determine if it's coming from under the valve cover.

If none of this reproduces the sound while the car is parked it might not be the motor. Could very well be something related to the work you had done to the wheels. So basically, if you can hear it while parked it's not your wheel bearings or ball joints or anything like that rattling around.

But yeah, a click pen is probably the most accurate way to describe the sound of valves that need an adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the late response, been a bit busy. About 20 minutes ago I checked to see if the sound was coming from the Engine or not and the noise is coming from the valves. A pen-clicking noise. So that means a valve adjustment ? Or that could also be the engine mount ? Thanks for all your help so far guys.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
do a valve adjustment and an oil change and see if that helps the noise at all. Also, if it is a pen-clicking type sound, it could be coming from the fuel injectors... put the tip of a screwdriver on the injector body and put the handle to your ear and listen.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Here's a DIY writeup on how to perform a valve adjustment. It's really quite easy.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/aiperformance/valveadjustment.html

If you have any questions just ask. I've done it lots of times as I'm sure many other people on SHO have as well. A feeler gauge is required but it's only $3 or $4 at an auto parts store.

While you're at the parts store maybe pick up a Haynes manual (or some other brand of maintenance manual) for your car for more in-depth instructions.

That or take it to a tune-up shop and pay them $150+ to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.