Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 78 civic cvcc and just wondering what kind of information I can get on the car?
didn't really drive it yet but I did start it up and it did start right up and idled nice and smooth

how much power did these things put out and this thing should be able to handle sustained trips at around 75-80mph correct?

can anything be done to give it some more pep?
I'm not talking making it fast since I don't really know if that is going to happen but is there any "performance" parts for it to at least give a little more pep?

what kind of gas mileage do they get?

also how relaible are they? this one has around 180-190k miles on it already.

any other information on them would be nice as well :-D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also is there anything special I should look for with problems and what are the weak spots on these cars? any real major problem areas or even minor ones for that matter.

·
Registered
747 Posts
i don't think anyone here really knows a lot about the 1st and 2nd gen civics. you'll probably have better luck getting technical questions answered at

civic1200.com

but here's something to get you started:

1.2L 60hp SOHC
12"x5" wheels
Front and Rear Drum brakes
I don't know about the 75-80mph thing...
I doubt anything can be done to improve performance...

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Almost any car can be tweaked for performance. My uncle used to race old Honda S600 back in the day, he got power parts for that even then. Locating the resources that are more dedicated to your chassis will be the key. You can always get custom ground cams and whatnot, change carburetors, and ignition system, etc...

Honda has always made long-lasting motors, the weak spot on the older models (as well as almost every older Japanese car) was the body panels being prone to rust. Even through the late 80's, early 90's it was still an issue.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not too worried about body rust as this is more or less going to be a driver so I can get my rx7 fixed and a car I would use prolly just for when I need 4 seats or need some good gas mileage. but I take it there are no other really weak spots on the car as far as drivetrain or other parts that are going to cause drivability issues

as far as if I am going to do an engine swap would rather keep it carb and keep it simple if at all possible
this thing already looks simple and I want to keep it fairly simple

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yeah, simple defines the early Hondas. Even if you changed motors you really have to keep it carbed or else drop big coin for a standalone EFI system, since there are no ecu's or anything electronic on those. I got a friend with a carbed 87 1.5 CRX though, it hauls big time. Super light, that's the major advantage you got.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually mistaken it is a 76 honad accord. what is the difference going to be between the civic and the accord though

still either way I know the car has a little pep. nothing fast just peppy for only 60hp but then again I think I weigh around 2016lbs or so

1 - 7 of 7 Posts