Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey peps, i've sighted a 95 prelude si i want to buy, it's manual by the way. it's in imaculent condition. what i wanna know is what should i look/listen for while test driving? what r this models usual problems if any? is $6000 to much? i dunno what the mileage is but it look brand new inside and out.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
welcome to Superhonda, and just giving you a pointer, your thread title is no good. next time make the title more clearier so that way you will get more response.

other than that, back to your topic, you should look is for leaks, wears on bottom from bottoming out, condition of the engine bay, does it sound good running? take it for a good test drive will do the job for you and listen as you go.

what mileage is it? 6000 for a 95 Si sounds kinda high to me. but maybe its low mileage.

let us know the mileage and state.

·
Registered
665 Posts
if the car has over 100k on it you should ask him if the timing belt has ever been changed, and if it hasnt, you should make him subtract $500 from the cost. if he says it has, ask for proof. check tire wear. if theyre beat, take another $500 of the price. ask how often the oil had been changed. ask about the clutch, at 100k, if he drove it like your going to, it should have been replaced, ask for proof. look at the accessory belts and check for rust, listen to the engine idle with the hood popped, listen for any squeeks, make sure theres nothin funky comin out of the exhaust pipes, such as black smoke. look at the brake pads, see if theyre beat or not. all of these things are things that can be subtractedfrom the price your paying. when i bought my prelude, 1998 with 50k on it the tires were almost bald, so i made him subtract $500. i paid $10,000 from a friend for this. good luck.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
basically the same thing you should do for any car...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replys. i'm gonna go by tommorrow and take a test drive and take a really good look at her. i'll probably end up takin her to my buds shop and puttin her on the lift! by the way, i think the price is kinda high cause this is at a dealership. should i or shouldn't i get warranty (if i decide to get it)??? i let u guys know how it goes on thurday

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the prelude has 160k miles on it, doesn't smoke, runs great. feels race ready! come with aftermarket cai, ignition system, lowered suspension, front and rear sway bars, stage 3 racing clutch, shortshifter, also the tranny definitely doesn't feel stock to me. i guess thats why they want $6000 for a high mileage 95 model. one question i did have that i'm not 100% on, do i have a si model? it's non-vtec but it said si on the driverside door manufacturer sticker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts